• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Limiting Sellers to KY Online

Hello folks,

I run an online small business listing/webhosting service and I installed osCommerce on the site so my customers can sell their items. But I do not want people outside of the Louisville KY area who do not subscribe to my service to sell at the store, but allow anyone in the U.S. to buy from the site.

That way they are not competing against anyone who can sell the same product cheaper.

I'm trying to promote the local economy, which, in my opinion the real root of our economy.

Is there anyway I can do that?

Thanks.

Paul

Hello folks,

I run an online small business listing/webhosting service and I installed osCommerce on the site so my customers can sell their items. But I do not want people outside of the Louisville KY area who do not subscribe to my service to sell at the store, but allow anyone in the U.S. to buy from the site.

That way they are not competing against anyone who can sell the same product cheaper.

I'm trying to promote the local economy, which, in my opinion the real root of our economy.

Is there anyway I can do that?

Thanks.

Paul

Hi Paul,

I'm a little fuzzy on what exactly you are trying to do. However, as a Kentucky resident (I'm out of Richmond) I respect the intent. Give me your URL so I can check the site and get a bigger picture of what is required. Once we define the project goals the roadmap should be easy to formulate.

Hi Paul,

I'm a little fuzzy on what exactly you are trying to do.  However, as a Kentucky resident (I'm out of Richmond) I respect the intent.  Give me your URL so I can check the site and get a bigger picture of what is required.  Once we define the project goals the roadmap should be easy to formulate.

My service is a place for small businesses in the Louisville area to advertise their business at an affordable price. I charge a small fee to list them and give them a fully functional website, not just a business card listing as the Yellow pages or Bellsouth would give them.

Since the root of our economy is the small business it is imperative that the small business have an affordable place to show their wares so they can grow.

What I want is for the small businesses which subscribe to my service to be able to sell in under their own site their products. The problem I have run into is osCommerce only, as far as I can tell with my limited php knowledge, allows for products to be listed under my main site. (http://www.louisvillesb.com/lsbstore). I want them to be able to have their own listing area which is not mixed in with other members.

For instance, "Mom's Music" will have their own personal area to list their goods, but "Dream Machine Music" products will not be mixed in with them.

I am wondering if there is some way that I can set it so only those who register with specific zip codes (Louisville zips, if I remember correctly, are 40200 to 40299) can sell at the site but if their zip is outside those parameters they can buy. I don't care who buys, I just want to limit who can sell from the site.

You won't find much of an example at the above site because I am in the earliest stages of gathering clients.

Is there a difference in a "member" and a "registered" user?

If you need further explanation write me a lsb at louisvillsb.com.

Paul

Archived