• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Making a complete backup

I finnally am ready to open doors of my shop, some legal and tax issues have to be done with the local authorities and of we go. After more than two months hard work a have made lots of backups of my store in every stage and also the mysql dBase is backupped several times. Allthough my hosting provider has all kinds of backup systems installed, i also want to make a backup every day. I can d/l all files using my ftp client and d/l the .sql through the admin, but I was wondering if there is a way to automate all of this so it can't be forgotten etc. Does anyone have suggestions on this issue ?

Thank you in advance,

Martin

I don't know which control panel your host company provides, and can only speak for the one I have (Ensim Pro). With this you can definitely schedule 'whole site' backups, daily, weekly etc. and set the time for the backup to take place. It notifies you by e-mail that the backup has been successful. Only ever had one day when it wasn't.

Best thing to do, buy some cheap hosting somewhere and just use that as the site to backup to via FTP. If you want to schedule a backup to your own computer then you have to get into a dedicated ip address for your computer, and it has to be switched on whenever the backup is scheduled for. Not worth the bother.

vger

I don't know which control panel your host company provides, and can only speak for the one I have (Ensim Pro).  With this you can definitely schedule 'whole site' backups, daily, weekly etc. and set the time for the backup to take place.  It notifies you by e-mail that the backup has been successful.  Only ever had one day when it wasn't.

Best thing to do, buy some cheap hosting somewhere and just use that as the site to backup to via FTP.  If you want to schedule a backup to your own computer then you have to get into a dedicated ip address for your computer, and it has to be switched on whenever the backup is scheduled for.  Not worth the bother.

vger

Thank you for your input on this.

Archived