• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Another problem with read on configure.php

sydney

Hello,

First of all, I'd like to thank everybody for all their contributions - both questions and answers. I have installed oscommerce for the first time this weekend and all the advice has been invaluable.

I too have the error message that many have been getting:

"I am able to write to the configuration file: /includes/configure.php. This is a potential security risk - please set the right user permissions on this file."

In following everybody's instructions, I changed the user permissions to 400 and my hosting provider has confirmed that this has in fact been done. They even tried to write to the file and weren't able to - that it is in read only. I know there's several configure.php files in the various directories but I made sure that I have the right one.

The odd thing is that this error message continues to show up at the top of my site.

Does anyone know why this is happening? And what should I do?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Sydney

Thanks for the feedback. When I checked the file permissions both in my ftp manager program -IPswith WS-Ftp Pro and in my hosting website os manager, they are both set at 400. Yet I still get the error message at the top of my web-site. Any ideas on how to get it to go away?

Sydney

As Mibble said "change hosts", as it doesn't appear that they have the server configured correctly.

but I made sure that I have the right one

That was the catalog/includes/configure.php file, and not the catalog/admin/includes/configure.php file?

Vger

Thanks for the feedback.

Tomorrow, I'll definitely double check that I did get the right file.

If I switch hosting, do you recommend Unix hosting over Windows? (mine currently is Windows)

Thank you,

Sydney

Does it matter that I don't have a domain name?

I am recreating this shop with an ISP that I no longer use for hosting my 'live' site as I wanted to start again from scratch... but there is no domain pointing to this space so my configure.php is as follows:

/ Define the webserver and path parameters

// * DIR_FS_* = Filesystem directories (local/physical)

// * DIR_WS_* = Webserver directories (virtual/URL)

define('HTTP_SERVER', 'http://www.beegeeinternet.co.uk/~cumfybum');

define('HTTPS_SERVER', 'https://www.beegeeinternet.co.uk/~cumfybum');

define('ENABLE_SSL', false); // secure webserver for checkout procedure?

define('HTTP_COOKIE_DOMAIN', 'www.beegeeinternet.co.uk/~cumfybum');

define('HTTPS_COOKIE_DOMAIN', 'https://www.beegeeinternet.co.uk/~cumfybum');

define('HTTP_COOKIE_PATH', '/');

define('HTTPS_COOKIE_PATH', '/');

define('DIR_WS_HTTP_CATALOG', '/cumfyshop/');

define('DIR_WS_HTTPS_CATALOG', '/cumfyshop/');

define('DIR_WS_IMAGES', '/cumfyshop/images/');

define('DIR_WS_ICONS', '/cumfyshop/icons/');

I am not too bothered about the warning if when I eventually move the newly customised shop to its final resting place - because this isn't a live shop and I don't intend to put products into it - but I would like to know whether it is necessary to have a domain to implement oscommerce and whether this is why my chmod isn't having any effect.

Thanks

Christine

As Mibble said "change hosts", as it doesn't appear that they have the server configured correctly.

That was the catalog/includes/configure.php file, and not the catalog/admin/includes/configure.php file?

Vger

Hello,

I checked and it is the public/includes/configure.php file. It is set to 400 per WS FTP Pro and also per the web-site OS ftp.

The other configure files are all set to 644.

The hosting I have is Windows based - could that be the problem?

Thank you,

Sydney

Archived