• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

SEO_oscommerce 1_1

nickeswede73

Hello!

I have downloaded the SEO_oscommerce 1_1 contribution.

I am not really sure about a few things regarding the SEO (Search Engine Optimization) Functions.

Should I make a file namned seo_fns.php and upload to includes/functions with the script that they show at the guide?

Can somebody please explain the parts below a little more, and how to make it?

"Basic Steps for Modifying product_info.php

Move the main product's MySQL query to the top of the page (just past the application_top.php include), if necessary."

"Define the $html_contents_title, $html_contents_keywords and $html_contents_description variables based on the product information, SEO functions and/or additional conditions."

The above I think a understand, in the code below put in info between ''

$html_contents_title = seo_create_title('' . TITLE);

$html_contents_description = seo_create_meta_description('' . TITLE);

$html_contents_keywords = seo_create_meta_keywords('' . TITLE);

Display the HTML document <head> section with resulting SEO variables."

The following SEO code below should be put in the beginning of product_info.php and put in catalog/includes?

and put in text between '' in the code down below:

// Start SEO Variables - JJW 09/22/2004

require('includes/functions/seo_fns.php');

// Main Product Query

$product_info = tep_db_query("select p.products_id, pd.products_name, pd.products_description, p.products_model, p.products_quantity, p.products_image, pd.products_url, p.products_price, p.products_tax_class_id, p.products_date_added, p.products_date_available, p.manufacturers_id from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS . " p, " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_DESCRIPTION . " pd where p.products_id = '" . $HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id'] . "' and pd.products_id = '" . $HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id'] . "' and pd.language_id = '" . $languages_id . "'");

if ($product_check['total'] < 1) {

} else {

$product_info_result = tep_db_query("select p.products_id, pd.products_name, pd.products_description, p.products_model, p.products_quantity, p.products_image, pd.products_url, p.products_price, p.products_tax_class_id, p.products_date_added, p.products_date_available, p.manufacturers_id from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS . " p, " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_DESCRIPTION . " pd where p.products_id = '" . $HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id'] . "' and pd.products_id = '" . $HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id'] . "' and pd.language_id = '" . $languages_id . "'");

$product_info = tep_db_fetch_array($product_info_result);

$html_contents_title = seo_create_title('' . $product_info['products_name']) . " - " . TITLE;

$html_contents_description = seo_create_meta_description($product_info['products_description']);

$html_contents_keywords = seo_create_meta_keywords(TITLE." ".$product_info['products_description']);

}

// End SEO Variables

I'm not familar with the contribution but I just read the description and it says

you do need to take the necessary steps to ensure that your URL's are search engine friendly
which is not true. I would think twice about installing something like this if I were you.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

No, I don't think it is harmful but, like I said, I'm not familar with it. What I meant though is that the premise for the contribution is false. The OSC url's are already SEF. So chanigng them around may or may not gain you a little but I doubt that it is worth the effort.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Archived