• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Is software suitable for this?

Hi,

I've seen similar posts to this - but not quite with the same issues. I was wondering if anyone knows if osCommerce is the best way to do the following...

I have a website that I need to work as follows:

Purpose of site: Digital distribution of hi-res (downloadable) photos to numerous separate clients. Clients must be able to only see their own photos - not those belonging to others. No payments to be taken (no checkout) as system is for free distribution / selection of their photographs.

Each client's photo collection needs to be in the form of a categorised photo gallery that can be browsed by them.

Each thumbnail must, when clicked, show an enlarged image.

Each thumbnail also needs two buttons - "Download Now" and "Add to Cart".

Download now should begin download of the Hi-res file

Add to Cart should add that photo to a list for downloading multiple Hi-Res files in one go.

The shopping cart needs to contain a list of their selected photo files (with thumbnail) and a "Download All" button.

Finally, there are a lot of photos involved, under numerous nested categories. New photos will need to be batch-added on a regular basis. I will therefore need an easy system of setting all the products to have no price and all be downlaodable.

That's all I need it to do! As I said, there are no payments required at all (the system is purely for distribution) so I need to remove all traces of a checkout or references to payments / prices etc.

With all these criteria in mind, am I on the right track going with osCommerce? - has anyone done anything similar to this? Can you configure osCommerce to not have any payment processing section? What about keeping clients away from each other's images? - would this require multiple separate shops (one for each)?

...or is there a simpler alternative that I've completely missed????

All replies greatly appreciated! Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere - I just couldn't find anything.

Narner

with custom work it can be done. i suggest reading the knowledge base so you understand the download feature.

install the application and also install the download controller.

play with it, see how it works and then start the custom work after that, not before totally understanding what is going on.

Thanks Mibble.

I think that osCommerce might not the best option for what I need to achieve. It'll probably be quicker to produce a system from scratch, using Dreamweaver and MySQL. Time to roll up my sleeves...

Cheers,

Narner

I am in the process of customising OSc for use as a image shop. The spec's i am working to are different to yours but there are lots that are similar.

I have used a couple of contribs to increase functionality and cut out a few features to make things simpler. the pictures on my site will be sold so they have to go through the basket and order system, which makes OSc a great base.

I have installed the on the fly image thumbnailer. Excellent as you can upload one hi-res image and generate any size image from the original, just by specifiying a different images size in the tep_image function. It automatcially calculates the correct proportions so the image doesn't chop or blur.

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,2226

I also used the wish list contrib. Which is essentially a list of personal favourites that is only shown when a user is logged in.

If i were you i would use OSc as a base, mostly because you will save so much time with the categories structure and all the work writing the admin code.

If you are going to write it from scratch use OSc as a big function library. You can make good use of the upload class for example.

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,1682

I ain't got time to bleed

Finally, there are a lot of photos involved, under numerous nested categories. New photos will need to be batch-added on a regular basis. I will therefore need an easy system of setting all the products to have no price and all be downlaodable.

Just re-read your post and there is a excellent contrib to do this called easy populate. It works best when you have all the data already in digital format (must be a csv file or similar delimited type file.). I use it to convert people's data when they have been using another system.

If you don't have it in digital format already you can use Excel to setup the data, which many people are comfortable using and then upload the excel file.

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,500

I ain't got time to bleed

• 3 months later...

I am trying to do the same thing. I am shooting models or school dances and I would like a way to have a private gallery for people with a generic password.

But what I've got so far looks like this:

www.droidsimages.com

I used some contributions to give me a navigation in each product. Also the pricing portion of gallery isn't the best for this sort of setup.

i dont know if uve ever looked into it but looking at your description of what u need you should check out a project called gallery (not related to oscommerce in anyway)...its an open source project as well and does most if not all of what u require

You're right it does, but it doesn't do a shopping cart well. And OSC doesn't do a photo gallery well.

i dont know if uve ever looked into it but looking at your description of what u need you should check out a project called gallery (not related to oscommerce in anyway)...its an open source project as well and does most if not all of what u require

Archived