• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Editing Text Files Crashes Site

bryanh

Hi, I am a NEWBIE (worlds biggest Technoklutz) and own an OSCommerce site running with Quadra.

My programmer handed over the site telling me I could edit text in various files.

I did this, by changing text within "" and on several occasions crashed the site displaying a HTML syntax error. After blaming everyone else my programmer agreed the editing done did not affect the operable code.

When I complain "how do I admin the text files" the answer is "this is a defect in OSCommerce". Is IT?

Is there a solution?

No, your programmer is a moron.

If you post what you tried to edit, I'll fix your error for you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Editing the code in a good text editor or Notepad will cause no problems.

Using the Cpanel - File editor has caused some of my clients a problem. :-"

HTH

Neil

Common sense is genius dressed in working clothes.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Editing the code in a good text editor or Notepad will cause no problems.

Using the Cpanel - File editor has caused some of my clients a problem.  :-"

Yes, this must be it. I open index.php and change one "literals" using the file management tools provided by OSCommerce, every time the site crashes on a syntax errorafter I save the file.

My programmer has gone over the NotePad approach, I find the text hard to follow in Notepad and the process painful.

I dont understand why editing cannot be done directly to the file without these consequences, sure if I open and dont close brackets or make other syntax errors, fair enough.

I set out to find out if this was an issue and to gain any idea if it will be fixed?

doubtful anytime soon for a fix, there are many free editors available on the net.

also keep a complete copy of the site locally, make the changes there, then ftp them up to the site after you have tested with http://localhost

will save you much aggrivation.

osCommerce has no control over how the cpanel editor works

Archived