• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Completely new to OSC...

justal

I'm completely new to osCommerce, so though I'd start posting here to get some inspiration. A client wanted an eCommerce solution so I set up and osCommerce site for him... I haven't changed a great deal yet just a few graphics here and there, made dynamic meta-tags and an auto-thumbnail generator (All before discovering I could have saved myself the hassle by using the contributions here!)

The site (which isn't properly operational yet) is at http://www.storm-riders.co.uk/catalog/

Now that I've got the osCommerce bug I may just have to set one up for myself so that I can play around with it and add all these exciting looking contributions!

Al.

Hey Alan,

I'm Peter, I don't think we have met before so to let you know I am the guy that sits down here in the bottom of the forum section and rips peoples sites to shreds for them :'( .... and unfortunately yours will be no exception. But they are just my opinions so take them or leave them, it is up to you.

1) "For Info, advice or to place an order Call:" The font doesn't go with the rest of the fonts on the page.

2) Your left and right column start at different levels on the page.

3) Your "Quick find" button in your right column is making the column W I D E.

4) The same for the font in your breadcrumb trail, it doesn't go with the site. Also it would look better if it was centered in the white space. ie move it up a bit.

5) Why does your Quick Find box fill up with words every time I look at a product?

6) On one of the wetsuits I say different sizes available. It would be nice to know what those sizes related too. A size chart somewhere in the site.

7) You have a blank space in your Manufactuers dropdown list.

8) Your product pictures all have a white background, but on your site they are all set against a colored background. Why not The white parts of your sites background to color and the color to white. That way the picture background will blend in an look far more professional.

9) In creat account you have Gender and DOB. They are not needed for your site and can be turned off via the Admin. Also I can't see too many orders from outside your general area (at least not legitimate orders). I would think about what part of the world your market is and then delete the other countries from the DB so they can't shop at the store. I don't think someone from Antartica is going to buy a surfboard and have it shiped to them.

Come back when you have more done.

Peter

I'm Peter, I don't think we have met before so to let you know I am the guy that sits down here in the bottom of the forum section and rips peoples sites to shreds for them  :'(

Oh Peter, don't be so modest.

I'm Peter, I don't think we have met before so to let you know I am the guy that sits down here in the bottom of the forum section and rips peoples sites to shreds for them  .... and unfortunately yours will be no exception. But they are just my opinions so take them or leave them, it is up to you.

Here putty, putty, putty. Who's a nice putty cat. :P

Hi Alan,

First of all the home page. The info boxes on the left cut into the surf graphic and make it look untidy and unprofessional.

The quick find button on the rhs still has a white background.

I agree with Peter on the product images, either change the image backgrounds or change the table background.

Also reduce the phone number on the top header. I know you want people to see it but it looks cheap.

Your tell-a-friend, continue shopping and update cart buttons also have a white background.

I clicked on the Escape manufacturer and your missing an image in the top rhs of the page title. If your not going to use these images, recoving the code is the best way out.

Regards

PhilipH

Archived