• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

TO osCommerce or not to osCommerce

trinimoses

Hi all.. i have played with a few ecommerce packages over the years.. and i used interchange a few times... I was wonder if OsCommerce was a mucher easier solution to use.. since its in php and not somewhat tiring cgi/perl...

I am seriously looking at using OsCommerce, but i am not sure on how complex it is to setup..maintain ..etc..

Any advise or pointers... or anyhting to put my mind at ease would be great..

With Jah Jah,

Anything is Possible.

With Jah JAh,

Anything is Possible.

If you've got exp with perl/cgi, oscommerce should be a piece of cake.

PHP is very similar, except that classes are easier, and its less obfusicated.

You hsould have no problem at all.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Agreed - even experience with other programming languages gives a great head start (but is not totally needed).

The basics apply all over - if/then/else, print/echo/write, etc.

Obviously (maybe not at first glance), HTML experience helps.

Overall, much easier (and more flexible) than pl/cgi sites.

I have used free packages, packages that cost over $1000 for small sites, complicated CGI deals and up to $1.5 Million packages for larger B-2-B sites.

osCommerce, in it's present stage of growth and seeing the direction it is heading in, is becoming one of THE most popular, widely used, function laden, supported choices of ecommerce packages for the small-to-medium sized business.

It is my ONLY choice of ecommerce for my customers now. :D

I have used it for catalog (no ordering) only, sites with lots of content and a few products, straight up stores and am working on a reservation/payment system.

Depending on the specifics of your "store", you will probably find it meets your needs. If not out of the box, there are tons of mods, ad-ons and contributions to fit most required functions.

HTH B)

Archived