• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

whats the best way to secure oscom admin?

novicewebber

hi guys,

my girlfriend has just started her own oscom site and she hasnt been given a login in page for her admin panel.

Can anyone tell me how to get one setup for her or where i can make a username and login page? she doesnt want just anyone accessing her admin!

Cheers guys

Liam Norcup

Midland Imports Admin

hi guys,

my girlfriend has just started her own oscom site and she hasnt been given a login in page for her admin panel.

Can anyone tell me how to get one setup for her or where i can make a username and login page? she doesnt want just anyone accessing her admin!

Cheers guys

If you look in the contributions there's a User Admin Authorisation which I believe is now on versio 2.3. Even I managed to install it eventually, which says something.

I think it's under 'Features'.

If you look in the contributions there's a User Admin Authorisation which I believe is now on versio 2.3.  Even I managed to install it eventually, which says something.

I think it's under 'Features'.

hmmm, im having trouble finding it pal, thanks for replying im gonna keep looking....no luck yet tho :(

Liam Norcup

Midland Imports Admin

hmmm, im having trouble finding it pal, thanks for replying im gonna keep looking....no luck yet tho  :(

not sure if this will help you or not, but if your hosting uses cpanel, then there is an option there to "pw protect directories".. just go to that and follow the directions to pw your admin directory. (it does the same as the contribution, in that it creates an .htaccess file with the info in it, and will prompt for pw).

one small side note (i learned this the hard way :D )

if you use a sync. method for ftp (i.e. you have a test server you do everything to first, and then sync. your website server to the test server) make sure that you tell it NOT to sync. the .htaccess file. I always wondered why after I did an upload I could get right into my admin. LOL

Good Luck!!

oh if you are really looking for a contrib to install, then I guess I would try the:

Admin access with levels - this will allow you to have multiple admins (you could do that thru cpanel too), and then give the individual admins rights to certain parts of the admin (which to my knowledge you can't do thru cpanel). I guess it is how you want to do it.

RavenWulf

not sure if this will help you or not, but if your hosting uses cpanel, then there is an option there to "pw protect directories".. just go to that and follow the directions to pw your admin directory.  (it does the same as the contribution, in that it creates an .htaccess file with the info in it, and will prompt for pw).

one small side note (i learned this the hard way  :D  )

if you use a sync. method for ftp (i.e. you have a test server you do everything to first, and then sync. your website server to the test server) make sure that you tell it NOT to sync. the .htaccess file.  I always wondered why after I did an upload I could get right into my admin. LOL

Good Luck!!

oh if you are really looking for a contrib to install, then I guess I would try the:

Admin access with levels - this will allow you to have multiple admins (you could do that thru cpanel too), and then give the individual admins rights to certain parts of the admin (which to my knowledge you can't do thru cpanel).  I guess it is how you want to do it.

RavenWulf

If all else fails, try deadbolt.cgi. This is FREEWARE and is a quick and easy way to secure your admin. I have used it and can recommend it.

hmmm, im having trouble finding it pal, thanks for replying im gonna keep looking....no luck yet tho  :(

It's difficult to find because it's listed as 2.0, but I did a search and here you go:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri...search,admin_23

It's now at version 2.3. It's a very useful contribution and works perfectly. Apart from the time consuming database work, it's very simple to implement.

Hope this helps.

Archived