• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Live store - getting orders

iainshaw

I've built a store for a friend - The Real Games Company. The store is live and is doing some business.

I'm having real difficulties with the search engines though. I've still got PR of 0.

I've got inbound links from some of the manufacturers for the games. I'm being found - somehow - by some searches on google. The googlebot was on my site for hours yesterday, 700 hit and 9.7 MB of bandwidth.

I'm really stumped, so I'd love some input. It really is a traffic issue. I'm getting a reasonable conversion rate, just not getting enough traffic. Please could someone give me some advice.

thanks

The problem is you dont have any incoming links for sites that have a decent page rank.

Get links from sites with a pagerank of 4 or higher.

Scott

I've built a store for a friend - The Real Games Company.  The store is live and is doing some business. 

I'm having real difficulties with the search engines though.  I've still got PR of 0.

I've got inbound links from some of the manufacturers for the games.  I'm being found - somehow - by some searches on google.  The googlebot was on my site for hours yesterday, 700 hit and 9.7 MB of bandwidth.

I'm really stumped, so I'd love some input.  It really is a traffic issue.  I'm getting a reasonable conversion rate, just not getting enough traffic.  Please could someone give me some advice.

thanks

I would also install the header tags contribution. Right now your meta info is;

<title>The Real Games Company</title>

you need it to be (at least);

<title>blah blah blah</title>

<META NAME="Author" CONTENT="blah blah blah">

<META NAME="Description" CONTENT="blah blah blah again">

<META NAME="Keywords" CONTENT="more blah blah blah">

once installed go to http://www.submitexpress.com/analyzer/ and check for the relevency of what you have done. I would also go to sites that have very high PR's and see what they have done (view source) to get some ideas of what the sucessful companies do.

thanks Guys. Need to do some more work on the links - though a couple fo the manufacturers linnking to me have PR of 5 or 6.

I'll look at the headers contrib. I've got meta data on my games but maybe not on the main pages like index.php. Any other thoughts on the site overall?

It's nice to read a Peter review that doesn't contain the dreaded 3rd party quote. :)

Only kidding Peter, your reviews are required reading.

With Google, I found that after having quite a few inbound links, Google found my page and didnt page rank it for a couple of months. It was listed in Dmoz and came up on some google searches, but no page rank.

Then, about 3 months later, for no particular reason I finally got a page rank of 4 on my main page only. All my other pages were spidered, but no page rank.

It stayed like that for another 3 months, and once again for no particular reason, my main page rank went up to 5 and ALL my other pages got ranked between 3 and 4.

It seems like it just takes patience with Google......

I now get Google hitting my site 2-3 times per week to check for updated content.

A couple of things to bear in mind about Google PR...

- Google likes (and prefers) static pages with lots of text

- Google doesn't like dynamic pages (ie - the 'product_info.php?cPath=21_25&products_id=29' nonsense in the URL)

- Google cannot spider Flash or Images... and what images/Flash it can spider is irrelevant to your overall site ranking.

- Your PR is also affected by your backlinks (ie - sites linking to you)

Things that will help:

- A static site map with direct links to all your products. Help Google find those things... may help your customers too.

- Try and link to 10+ (just a rough number cus linking to just 2-3 won't do the trick) sites with a PR of 4 or greater. Google tends to think lesser of sites with a PR3 rank or lower.

I'm heading to Webmaster World next Monday in vegas and will share anything new I might learn as well. :D

Things that will help:

- A static site map with direct links to all your products.  Help Google find those things... may help your customers too.

I have just installed the site map contrib and very good it is to, but how would like the site map to all your products? And is this wise depending on the size of your product line?

And keep in mind that that PR doesn't mean all that much.

It is only ONE measure of your site by ONE search engine, and not the most important measure at that.

Where does your site come up in search results for certain keywords (phrases)?

Do you do any Google Adwords advertising?

Are you only focusing on Google?

I agree, inbound links help.

But don't expell all of your efforts on that.

CONTENT is probably the key.

Quality, indexable, static text is very important.

a couple fo the manufacturers linnking to me have PR of 5 or 6

Is a good thing and will build in time.

It's nice to read a Peter review that doesn't contain the dreaded 3rd party quote.

:D :P

Since everyone asked for it;

We will not make your details available to any third party (except for those directly involved in payment processing or shipping)

I guess if you ever sell your business the customer list is not going to be included in the deal. :P (And you probably thought you had it right)

Quote from Mibble

but they wouldnt be a third party if they bought the business, as the business name website would stay the same. . . .

The web site name is owned by the business. As I am sure you know it is better to buy the assets of a business rather than the business itself. In such a case the web site name and customer list would transfer ownership to 3rd party.

With a statement such as what was written the purchasing company would have to purchase the business as a whole which would mean they would also be assuming the liabilities of the business. As you can never be 100% sure who is going to crawl out of the woods and make a claim for any past or current actions of the company that scenario would not be advisable for the new owners.

(move to general chit chat if you want to continue this topic)

Peter

I guess a lot of lawyers must buy coffee :)

Musos too: "Affiliated Businesses We Do Not Control" sound like one hell of a band........

....thorough job though, impressive. Apart from the indiscriminate capitalisation :)

I agree we kill this here or move it to general chit-chat. Thanks guys for taking the time. Appreciate it. More orders today as well, things are going alright really

I know we said we would take this elsewhere but I don't know how. (dimwit rather than recalcitrant). So I've been looking at Javaroasters cos there's a lot to learn there. Love the site.

Peter I know your conditions and stuff are thorough but do you really mean this?

This site or any portion of this site may not be reproduced, duplicated, copied, sold, resold, visited, or otherwise exploited for any commercial purpose without express written consent of Java Roasters

or this?

This license does not include any resale or commercial use of this site or its contents; any collection and use of any product listings, descriptions, or prices; any derivative use of this site or its contents; any downloading or copying of account information for the benefit of another merchant; or any use of data mining, robots, or similar data gathering and extraction tools.
- I don't know, maybe the presence of robots.txt covers this last point.

how is it possible to construct robust terms and conditions for people's consumption when the essence of language is so corrupted by the requirements of the law? Not saying yours are not robust. It's just that it is possible to read the first quote as "you can't buy coffee here unless I give you explicit written permission"

When it comes to lawyers I'm with Dick the Butcher in Henry VI

Peter I know your conditions and stuff are thorough but do you really mean this?

This site or any portion of this site may not be reproduced, duplicated, copied, sold, resold, visited, or otherwise exploited for any commercial purpose without express written consent of Java Roasters

This seems fair to me. It would not be very nice for you to put all this work into a dog's b@@!!ock site to have it ripped by all and sundry.

I have seen articles and letters and reports about this and it's not very nice for the people who have been ripped off.

You have to cover your bases, hedge your bets, look after your assets, (ok enough cliches).

Maybe the word "visited" should come out but that is the only change I see. I will ask our legal department. :P

Maybe the word "visited" should come out but that is the only change I see. I will ask our legal department

I'd keep it in. You can then look forward to you second million $.

The first one would have been wasted anyway. :P

PhilipH

Archived