• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Sports Merchandise. Do you like it?

Applied

www.FanReady.com

My store has been up for a few months now, and I'm looking for ideas on what I should work on. Bringing more ppl to the site is always a plus, but what can I do that's relative to my site that will:

Increase the ratio of ppl visiting/buying

Increase ppl's security when shopping

Additional revenue

I'm looking for ideas on additional features that will be useful when ordering. For example, reviews seem pretty pointless to me on my site because eerything is pretty much described and none of them are high ticket items. But maybe having a section like, Hot Team of the Week, or displaying sports standings, forums. I'm not sure but this is what I'm looking for. Take a look, and please let me know what you think.

www.FanReady.com

Oh, where to start :(

1) Why are your My Account, Cart Contents and Checkout pics way way way off on the right site of the page. It really makes your site look unprofessional.

2) Your main page graphics are too big and make me have to scroll across the screen. I hate scrolling.

3) "Welcome Guest! Would you like to log yourself in? Or would you prefer to create an account?" I can see you put a lot of thought into your main page text.

4) Your free ipod promotion would make me leave your site right away. I came to your store and don't want to hear about how I (the customer) can help you get free ipods.

5) You have been open since April and you have a PR of "0". What have you been doing all this time?

6)

<title>:: FanREADY! dot-com ::</title>

that is what the search engines see on your site. You need to install header tags and get yourself submitted to search engines.

7) You don't have SSL. Even with paypal I think it helps make the customer feel secure.

8) Why do you need to know the customers DOB?

9) No where on your site does it tell people where you are, no address, no phone, no way other than the contact us form to get hold of you.

10) My favorite standard answer "Any information provided to us by you, our customer, will not be shared with anyone. This includes your phone number, email address and home address." If you don't share the shipping address with your shipper how does the customer get their product?

11) Take a look at your privacy statement and then go to my site and take a look at mine (see profile) and tell me what the difference is.

12) Your buttons are mostly on a light blue background and it leave a white space around them. That should be taken out and isn't too hard.

13) Your product descriptions are really quite good.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Increase the ratio of ppl visiting/buying

A professiona complete site would be a good starting point. There is also a contribution called User Tracking with Admin that will allow you to see where poeple go in your site. It might help you figure out at what stage they are leaving. Simple and free place to start.

Increase ppl's security when shopping

SSL would be a good start, certificates are down to around $50 from some companies. Also filling out your privacy, conditions of use, etc. (properly) will make people more comfortable with your store. There is also a contribution called Contact Us Choice which will allow you to add your address, phone number, etc. to your contact us page. The customers don't know you so it is up to you to make them feel safe and secure, which will make them feel comfortable enough to give you their CC info. There was nothing about your site that made me feel safe.

Additional revenue

I guess the Olympics are over so that one is gone for another 2 years. There is lots of sports merchandise out there, ie clothes, playing cards, trading cards, the list is endless. You have a very limited product line compared to the entire marketplace. There are thousands of stores selling the exact same product as you so why go to you for a sticker and then have to go to another store for the other 10 items they want.

Additional

When you said you had been open for a few months and you still don't have a Page Ranking that blew me away. SEO work is so important. Without being listed on the search engines how do you expect people to find your site? Install header tags and spend your free time searching the forums and internet for information of submitting to search engines. There are no short cuts or quick fixes, you have months of work ahead of you just with this. I made a mistake before when I said you have a PR of "0", actually it is less than "0"

Peter

5) You have been open since April and you have a PR of "0".  What have you been doing all this time?

6)

that is what the search engines see on your site.  You need to install header tags and get yourself submitted to search engines.

Try Submit Corner

7) You don't have SSL.  Even with paypal I think it helps make the customer feel secure.

Really? Even if using their SSL?

Really? Even if using their SSL?

Even if it is to just make the customers login safe and protected. $50 a year to give your customers piece of mind is a good investment IMO.

Even if it is to just make the customers login safe and protected. $50 a year to give your customers piece of mind is a good investment IMO.

Hmm. Any recommendations, or is it look round and suck it and see?

What is better, shared or own? I guess it is personal choice and budget?

I agree. Always get your own SSL certificate.

There are also some good threads here about search engine optimization (SEO). One user has even written a short book about it. Most of the book content you can get from the forums, if you're willing to spend the time, but it's worth the $$ to buy it and save yourself the time and energy.

PM me if you want a direct reference to the book. I'd post it here but I'm pretty sure that such advertising (though I'm not the author and don't stand to make anything if you buy the book) is prohibited.

-jared

additional thoughts:

1) consider removing the "welcome guest! . . . " line completely. There are many other ways to provide the customer the ability to login/create an account. One of these (just as an example) could be to also rename "My Account" to "Account". That's not how I'd do it, but it might help get your creative juices flowing.

2) I personally don't care for the date/counters in the bar at the bottom of the website. The bar looks fine, I just don't like the date/counters.

3) consider moving the "free ipod" to the bottom, perhaps in the footer. Alternately, you could have an "advertisement" infobox.

4) There is a contrib that adds pictures to the items listed in the bestsellers infobox.

5) There is another contrib (maybe just in tips'n'tricks, I can't remember) that will show you how to remove the shopping cart infobox unless the customer has actually added something to their cart. IOW, if the cart is empty, no need to display it.

6) Come up with a tagline. Instead of "FanReady! dot-com" try something like "FanReady! Something for Every Sports Fan!" or something like that. Catchy phrases that aren't too "we're the best!" sounding will stick in the minds of your customers.

7) In Static Stickers, NHL (I didn't look too much in the other ones) you seem to be missing a lot of pictures.

8) Consider removing the little arrows in the category box headings. You can make the titles into links instead. The little arrows are just distracting, IMO.

FWIW, remember that it's your website, you do it how you want. These are just suggestions.

Oh, where to start :(

1) Why are your My Account, Cart Contents and Checkout pics way way way off on the right site of the page. It really makes your site look unprofessional.

It looks fine on my computer and everyother one I've tested it one. What resolution are you using? I'd like to remove those buttons and change the header around, so it might not matter much right now.

2) Your main page graphics are too big and make me have to scroll across the screen. I hate scrolling.

Do you mean scrolling horizontally or vertically? Should the vertical size of the main page of smaller?

3) "Welcome Guest! Would you like to log yourself in? Or would you prefer to create an account?" I can see you put a lot of thought into your main page text.

Probably right... I just left the default, do you think I should change it to something like, Log in / Create Account" or just remove it completely and let ppl add things to their shopping cart or click My Account before they're prompted to log in or create an account.

4) Your free ipod promotion would make me leave your site right away. I came to your store and don't want to hear about how I (the customer) can help you get free ipods.

I might take the other members advise and move it down more.

5) You have been open since April and you have a PR of "0". What have you been doing all this time?

PR is Page Ranking? I've been trying to get links to my site on others but apparently I've been doing a horrible job in that area. What's the best way to get a good PR.

6)

that is what the search engines see on your site. You need to install header tags and get yourself submitted to search engines.

Is the contribution for header tags good?

7) You don't have SSL. Even with paypal I think it helps make the customer feel secure.

My host offers a free shared SSL, but I really don't know how much this well help since everything goes through PayPal. I think PayPal already offers the security feel. Definitely not bad having it but I much rather work on the other things first.

8) Why do you need to know the customers DOB?

I really don't. I guess this is one of those things that you'd just like to know to help with marketing and such. Maybe I could include a survey after someone orders where they'd receive 10% off their next order if they fill it out. I'd get a lot more information from them that way. Any idea if there are any contributions for something similar?

9) No where on your site does it tell people where you are, no address, no phone, no way other than the contact us form to get hold of you.

Hmm.. well my business doesn't have an address, phone number or much of anything else, so anything I'd put would have to be personal, which I'd like to avoid doing. Any suggestions here besides getting a business PO box and phone?

10) My favorite standard answer "Any information provided to us by you, our customer, will not be shared with anyone. This includes your phone number, email address and home address." If you don't share the shipping address with your shipper how does the customer get their product?

Yeah, you're right. I didn't spend much time on that. Never been much of a words man :)

11) Take a look at your privacy statement and then go to my site and take a look at mine (see profile) and tell me what the difference is.

I'll definitely add to this section.

12) Your buttons are mostly on a light blue background and it leave a white space around them. That should be taken out and isn't too hard.

Those are on my to-do list. Thanks

13) Your product descriptions are really quite good.

Thanks!! Needed a positive comment somewhere in there..

Additional

When you said you had been open for a few months and you still don't have a Page Ranking that blew me away. SEO work is so important. Without being listed on the search engines how do you expect people to find your site? Install header tags and spend your free time searching the forums and internet for information of submitting to search engines. There are no short cuts or quick fixes, you have months of work ahead of you just with this. I made a mistake before when I said you have a PR of "0", actually it is less than "0"

Peter

Where do you find out the PR of a website? Less than 0?

Thanks for taking the time to write everything you had thoughts on. I really appreciate it and I'm positive it'll really help me.

1) If I could figure out how to make a picture I would do it for you. You have your header and then further right of that the 3 osC pics (outside the header). I am on IE 800x600 XP Pro SP2.

2) Scrolling horizontally, if the pic was less wide it would take the scrolling out from that page.

3) Some text there would be good also. A little bit about what you do, what you sell, why people should buy from you, etc.

4) Good idea

5) You need to install header tags, and submit your site to the search engines (Google, MSN, Ask Jeeves, Yahoo, DMOZ, etc). That is just for starters. If it is out of your forte then hire someone to help you. With your business it even more important because of your low cost products and that most customers will only buy once (IMO). Therefore you need huge traffic to make a living selling what you have. To make $1000 per week you are going to have to sell about 1300 stickers (most likely) and for that you will need about 50,000 unique visitors to your store. Increasing your product lines and selling higher marked up items will help bring those numbers down.

6) Header tags is a must. Also if you look at your alt tags they are picked up by search engines so you need to make what they say relevent to your site.

7) I wouldn't even enter my name into a site that didn't have SSL. If they are offering it for free then use it.

8) I think the DOB was put into osC for Adult Sites, other than that I don't see a need for it. It is an annoying question if the answer is not relevent to my purchase.

As far as the 10% discount goes again I don't think your cost structure will allow it. A sticker is $2.50 and say you make $1.00 per sticker. If you offer a customer 10% discount or $0.25 that is 25% of your profit. That is a big chunk to give away.

9) That is tough when you run it out of your home. I would consider a)your home address B) a PO Box c)a second phone line d) an internet phone number that just takes messages. I think it is important for the customer to see that you are a legitimate business and not just a space on a server somewhere. Considering that the customer has to enter their name, address, CC info, etc. (all the info you need to steal someones identity) they have to trust you and your site before they will be willing to do that. One of the ways you can convince them to trust you is to provide information (even if they will never need it) that shows them that you are a legitimate business and not just a scam artist.

10 + 11) PM me

13) When you install header tags your product descriptions will be in your meta tag information.

Additional) I just use the google toolbar, not professional but it helps to check. A PR of zero means that Google knows you are there but hasn't gotten around to doing to much about it. A PR of less than zero means they don't even know you exist. (short answer)

Peter

FWIW, for privacy and T&C docs, do a google search for e-terms. ?25 and you can have them done online customised for you business / site and emailed almost immediately. How do I know? I used them.

Archived