• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Help can't get in to admin section

MarkPetty

if you havent set a password. ftp to your site and delete the .htaccess file in the admin folder, also make shure that you secure it with a new password or use a constribution like admin access with leves or so!!!

greetz john

cheers for that I have made a test site and removed the .htaccess file. How do i secure the admin page?

Thanks again

It depends upon which website control panel your hosting company provides you with. I use Ensim Pro Control Panel, but others provide CPanel, Helm etc. On Ensim the way to do it is to set up a User Group, and add one of the existing 'Users' to it. Usually this is the first part of an e-mail address e.g. sales. Then go to Password Protect Directories, and navigate until you find the 'admin' directory for osCommerce, click to Password Protect it, and you'll be prompted to assign it to a Web Group (which you've already set up).

With other Control Panels I believe it is a matter of navigating to the folder you want to protect, right-clicking on it, and selecting the option from there.

Vger

It depends upon which website control panel your hosting company provides you with.  I use Ensim Pro Control Panel, but others provide CPanel, Helm etc.  On Ensim the way to do it is to set up a User Group, and add one of the existing 'Users' to it.  Usually this is the first part of an e-mail address e.g. sales.  Then go to Password Protect Directories, and navigate until you find the 'admin' directory for osCommerce, click to Password Protect it, and you'll be prompted to assign it to a Web Group (which you've already set up).

With other Control Panels I believe it is a matter of navigating to the folder you want to protect, right-clicking on it, and selecting the option from there.

Vger

Thanks

Do you know why I have to remove .htaccess?

I can now view the admin section to a test osCommerce site but now everyone can gain access to it. How can I make it so it asks for a username & password?

Ive tried changing permissions to the admin folder but this will allow others to make changes when I'm making changes.

I'm slowly getting there thanks for your help

I can now view the admin section to a test osCommerce site but now everyone can gain access to it. How can I make it so it asks for a username & password?

Ive tried changing permissions to the admin folder but this will allow others to make changes when I'm making changes.

I'm slowly getting there thanks for your help

Using your hosting admin panel set up a password for the url www.yourdomain.com/catalog/admin.

That will leave the shop open but password required to access the admin url.

Well thats what I did anyway :)

I believe that there is also a contribution that deals with this. gl.

The install of osCommerce sets up .htaccess files at the root level and in the 'admin' folder. But if your site already had a .htaccess file in place (put there by default by your hosting company) then it won't overwrite that file. That's why it's best to remove the existing .htaccess file during installation. However, my preferred method is to download the existing.htaccess file, then delete it from the website, install oscommerce and then reinstall the original .htaccess file afterwards. Then, finally, to make the 'admin' folder a password protected folder as I described in my earlier post.

Vger

Thanks

Do you know why I have to remove .htaccess?

Archived