• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Interesting Flash Concept for Products

Hello all:

Well, working on my 9th oscommerce website. I specialize in Flash driven sites, but in the case of oscommerce I have developed hybrid flash/osc websites where the integration was more like osc running within a custom made website with Flash components as in my last one:

http//www.janetran.com

Now I have a project I am finishing that is simlar in structure to the site above, with the EXCEPTION that the client wants to have a Flash file INSTEAD of product images. This flash file will be a 4 picture layout (a main one, three smaller below that, when rollover, replace the main one with the smaller). The reason for using Flash is to use some design effects that can only be acomplished with Flash.

SO I read up in the forums, look at the "Flash all over" thinggie in the contributions, then came up with the following set up for what I want to do:

Rather than creating a single Flash file for each product (the client will have lots of products, they change often), then substitute the code that pulls the product image for one that pulls a specific Flash file (which it would also involvve having to change the administration code and probably another a zillion things) I thought of this:

As most of you know, Flash can load images dynamically from extrenal sources. Now, every product will have 4 images for sure, (which in this case will be stored in a folder rather than the database)...so if I was to create a master Flash file with the layout/actions, then just pull the image varaibles for each product, load them to this flash...All I would need is a single blank Flash for the entire site...Everytime the Flash loaded for each product, Flash would retrive the names of the images related to the product in the form of a varaibles, then load those images, place them in its corresponding locations...done. The advantage of doing it this way would me multiple: A) The client would never need to generate a single Flash file. B) No need to modify the administration, database...Just make sure the images are stored in teh server, not the database. This is MY main selling point for this idea C) All that would need to be modified (other than adding a multiple-image contribution like Ultrapix so the admin can upload multiple images per product), would be the piece of code that shops up in the product section. D) Way faster to load since the Flash file would just cache once and contains nothing but a little code.

So anyway, I guess my purpose for posting this is:

A) Anyone ever done this, seen it done?

B) Anyone seen, run across a litlle code, snippet, contribution that does this or could be ported to this?

C) If none of tha above, I would love to hear some feedback, maybe some ideas of where and how to tackle this. I am going for it anyway, but if anybody has any hints, ideas, etc, they are certainly welcome. Maybe I may even make a dann contribution for a change!!

Laters. 420 out.

Hello all:

Well, working on my 9th oscommerce website. I specialize in Flash driven sites, but in the case of oscommerce I have developed hybrid flash/osc websites where the integration was more like osc running within a custom made website with Flash components as in my last one:

http//www.janetran.com

Now I have a project I am finishing that is simlar in structure to the site above, with the EXCEPTION that the client wants to have a Flash file INSTEAD of product images. This flash file will be a 4 picture layout (a main one, three smaller below that, when rollover, replace the main one with the smaller). The reason for using Flash is to use some design effects that can only be acomplished with Flash.

SO I read up in the forums, look at the "Flash all over" thinggie in the contributions, then came up with the following set up for what I want to do:

Rather than creating a single Flash file for each product (the client will have lots of products, they change often), then substitute the code that pulls the product image for one that pulls a specific Flash file (which it would also involvve having to change the administration code and probably another a zillion things) I thought of this:

As most of you know, Flash can load images dynamically from extrenal sources. Now, every product will have 4 images for sure, (which in this case will be stored in a folder rather than the database)...so if I was to create a master Flash file with the layout/actions, then just pull the image varaibles for each product, load them to this flash...All I would need is a single blank Flash for the entire site...Everytime the Flash loaded for each product, Flash would retrive the names of the images related to the product in the form of a varaibles, then load those images, place them in its corresponding locations...done. The advantage of doing it this way would me multiple: A) The client would never need to generate a single Flash file. B) No need to modify the administration, database...Just make sure the images are stored in teh server, not the database. This is MY main selling point for this idea C) All that would need to be modified (other than adding a multiple-image contribution like Ultrapix so the admin can upload multiple images per product), would be the piece of code that shops up in the product section. D) Way faster to load since the Flash file would just cache once and contains nothing but a little code.

B) Anyone seen, run across a litlle code, snippet, contribution that does this or could be ported to this?

C) If none of tha above, I would love to hear some feedback, maybe some ideas of where and how to tackle this. I am going for it anyway, but if anybody has any hints, ideas, etc, they are certainly welcome. Maybe I may even make a dann contribution for a change!!

Laters. 420 out.

Hey canary100 ,

Checked out the website you listed here, very nice!

I wish I could help you with this, but I am still learning it all :blush: ,

I am most interested in how this idea goes though. I have an idea for the future of my website (custom woodcrafts) where the customer would click a link in catagories like (build-a-pen) and then instead of going to the product_info.php file they would go to a flash setup (in the center, instead of product info). Here they would be able to select materials, clips, etc... and have a "real-time" view of what they are building (i.e. select style=designer and a designer pen shows up, then change the material it is made out of and the picture changes, etc...) then they could add it to their cart.

With your flash knowlegde do you think that is possible?

RavenWulf

Hey canary100 ,

Checked out the website you listed here, very nice!

I wish I could help you with this, but I am still learning it all  :blush: ,

I am most interested in how this idea goes though.  I have an idea for the future of my website (custom woodcrafts) where the customer would click a link in catagories like (build-a-pen) and then instead of going to the product_info.php file they would go to a flash setup (in the center, instead of product info). Here they would be able to select materials, clips, etc... and have a "real-time" view of what they are building (i.e. select style=designer and a designer pen shows up, then change the material it is made out of and the picture changes, etc...) then they could add it to their cart.

With your flash knowlegde do you think that is possible?

RavenWulf

Well, I am sure it would, but just like I say that, I also assume something like that could take some working, mostly because of all the variables that Flash would need to handle. I am an intermideate coder, so with what I know I would also assume that using some sort of XML in between the PHP and the Mysql database to make the handing of variables easier would be a better choice. Then again, I am sure that all the new Data Connection stuff that came out in MX 2004 would make it easier. IN this particular project, I probably will get away because all I need to plug into Flash is the product images and that is that. There is no two way exchange of data between Flash and the database, only one way.

Well, I am sure it would, but just like I say that, I also assume something like that  could take some working, mostly because of all the variables  that Flash would need to handle. I am an intermideate coder, so with what I know I would also assume that using some sort of XML in between the PHP and the Mysql database to make the handing of variables easier would be a better choice. Then again, I am sure that all the new Data Connection stuff that came out in MX 2004 would make it easier. IN this particular project, I probably will get away because all I need to plug into Flash is the product images and that is that. There is no two way exchange of data between Flash and the database, only one way.

Thanks for the input :D

Good thing I plan on doing this in the future LOL, Looks like I have some learning to do!

RW

Hello all:

http//www.janetran.com

Laters. 420 out.

If i understand you correctly, i have done this, with preloader - www.freeriderstores.com if you would like the .fla give me a shout

Nimmit

• 4 months later...
http//www.janetran.com

Can you tell me, is your popup window on this site using frames, one for the flash navigation and one for the main area?

Thanks so much! Looks great, by the way. It seems to be such a challenge sometimes to streamline functionality with design. janetran.com is an excellent example of it being done right!

Rachel M.

DESPITE THE FACT THAT I LIKED UR DESIGN AND OUTSTANDING EFFORT, YOUR SITE LOADS UP VERY SLOW. YOU NEED TO WORK ON THAT ASPECT OR MAY BE OFFER A PLAIN VERSION OF IT AS WELL.

Site ia great. I am working on my own and i am trying to use flash buttons for "checkout" button and others. If i just substitute header_checkout.gif by file.swf in sts_display_output.php file it does not work.

Any hints on how to do it right?

Thanks,

Ruslan

We are not that rich to buy cheap things

Site ia great.  I am working on my own and i am trying to use flash buttons for "checkout" button and others.  If i just substitute header_checkout.gif by file.swf in sts_display_output.php file it does not work.

Thanks,

Ruslan

i get the microsoft site come up on that link bizzare!! :blush:

Vertical Climb watch me loose grip an plumit!!

Site ia great.  I am working on my own and i am trying to use flash buttons for "checkout" button and others.  If i just substitute header_checkout.gif by file.swf in sts_display_output.php file it does not work.

Thanks,

Ruslan

Hi there i too am trying to use flash movies for the buttons, if you found how to do this pleased post the answer.

Im thinking the the html.output file needs to be edited at about line 122 where it says submit button wrapper function. Am i right and anyone care to advise on the code needed ?

Cheers guys

Why bother with Flash when SE's hate it?

Because we can't let SE's drive the development of website design. Step back and think about it, designers job is to design sites and Googles job is to find them. They are not there to tell us how to design our customers sites. Tail wagging dog sort of thing.

Time we stoped pandering to SE's by designing sites based on thier search algorithims and time they started coding to suit what designers/ customers want to see, and now most of us have broadband, most of my customers are now asking for flash driven sites....

O! and don't get me started on CSS :angry:

canary100 I would love 2 do what u were first talking about!!!!

Has this been developed further?!?!

In its simplest form it just displays one pic using flash... great - its harder 4 ppl to theive the image!!

If u put in multiple images it dows something fancy with them!!!

Rich

Nice site

As most of you know, Flash can load images dynamically from extrenal sources. Now, every product will have 4 images for sure, (which in this case will be stored in a folder rather than the database)...so if I was to create a master Flash file with the layout/actions, then just pull the image varaibles for each product, load them to this flash...

So, considering I know next to nothing about flash, and quite a bit about php, maybe I could help you with this, if I could get some questions answered:

how does flash get the images dynamically?

Do the image variables have anything to do with the image filenames?

If yes, do they have to include the full (real) path to the image on the server?

Do you need to include extra info (width, height, color depth etc)?

Regards,

Yiangos

Feu! Edome8a upo rhnnosxhmwn lukwn!

http//www.janetran.com

Hi,

I think there are 2 methode to get image into flash.

1. as you mentioned

2. using xml parser

Take a look to this site: Platinum Ceramic (using xml to load image).

OsCommerce+Flash website: BoxFurniture.Net. But I don't use all feature of OsCommerce for that website.

BoxFurniture is manufacturer website, that have several store world wide. You need ask the username and password to login for viewing products. But you can still login using username & password: demo for short periode.

zaenal

oad dynamically 3 images into a flash script than standard osc image is the easiest thing of the world for a newbie to flash... just install contrib to have 3 images... and then place in products_info your swf loading these 3 images into mc recalling them from products_info in this way...

$immaginami=substr( $product_info['products_image'], 0, -4);

$immaginami2=substr( $product_info['products_image2'], 0, -4);

$immaginami3=substr( $product_info['products_image3'], 0, -4);

// i erase extension .jpg but you just can keep it

echo "<object classid=\"clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000\" codebase=\"http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,29,0\" width=\"250\" height=\"250\"><param name=\"movie\" value=\"http://www.xxxx.it/yourswf.swf?immaginami10=".$immaginami."&immaginami20=".$immaginami2."&immaginami30=".$immaginami3."\">

<param name=\"quality\" value=\"high\"><param name=\"menu\" value=\"false\">

<embed src=\"http://www.xxxx.it/yourswf.swf?immaginami10=".$immaginami."&immaginami20=".$immaginami2."&immaginami30=".$immaginami3.">" menu=\"false\" quality=\"high\" pluginspage=\"http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer\" type=\"application/x-shockwave-flash\" width=\"250\" height=\"250\"></embed></object>";

Because we can't let SE's drive the development of website design. Step back and think about it, designers job is to design sites and Googles job is to find them. They are not there to tell us how to design our customers sites. Tail wagging dog sort of thing.

Time we stoped pandering to SE's by designing sites based on thier search algorithims and time they started coding to suit what designers/ customers want to see, and now most of us have broadband, most of my customers are now asking for flash driven sites....

O! and don't get me started on CSS  :angry:

All very well and good, but what really counts is e-commerce sales, and you will make more sales if you are found by search engines, and search engines hate Flash so avoid it IMHO.

The site is really cool... thought i would mention though that when i try and type in http//www.janetran.com the browser adds an additional http:// to the name every time. Only way I could get there was by taking it off and just putting www.janetran.com

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

• 2 weeks later...

canary100,

Great job on the posted site. I too share your feelings using flash and forcing SE to find us. SE's like google are becoming a multi-billion dollar industry and well, we the designers need the flexablity of new technology. I have done one site using a bit of Flash embedded within the PHP, Doctored Locks, Inc , just the header and main body. I want to be able to consume entire sites into Flash, the possiblities are endless. I am a designer and unfortunatly not much of a coder, but really want to see Flash become the standard. Keep up your mindset and it will be the next big thing.

-Jaymz

James Scheller

• 1 month later...

haha, im with you wendy, I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't go to the website ... its because of the missing ':' in http:// ...

Nice website. A+ work

Jud

Archived