• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Backing up and restoring

greenbee

How do you backup and restore the store?

I want to keep all my categories, images , products etc.... so i dont have to start from scratch. If i backup the database, if my config files are corrupted, will they also be backed up? And what about all my customized text in the shipping, privacy sections etc, will they be lost or saved in the database backup?

first backup your site database, storing it on your web site. then copy your complete site via ftp to a local directory on your local system.

then you have a complete backup.

each time you do a database backup, download it to your local catalog/admin/backups directory and it will always be up to date.

if you make changes to the code, make them local on a backup copy of the code, once u r sure it is right, send it up to your site. if it fails, recopy your backup file and keep your store going.

Does the database backup contain the config files? And what does pressing the "RESTORE" in admin do, actually place all my categories and products back in their former place, along with images etc?

greenbee

first backup your site database, storing it on your web site. then copy your complete site via ftp to a local directory on your local system.

then you have a complete backup. 

each time you do a database backup, download it to your local catalog/admin/backups directory and it will always be up to date.

if you make changes to the code, make them local on a backup copy of the code, once u r sure it is right, send it up to your site.  if it fails, recopy your backup file and keep your store going.

backing up in the admin area of the store, is backing up the database only.

in your host cpanel you are backing up the site, may or may not include the database.

the admin area of the store does not backup the source code or images.

I also like using phpmyadmin to export the database to my hdd... In my opinion your database is your site... You can always just rerun the install, and then set the configure to read from your database, then bam all your stuff is back and up... Modding isn't difficult.. because all the changes I have done i always first save the original and the new one to my hdd before uploading it to server just incase the mod doesn't work as it's suppose to

when exporting it with phpmyadmin, and you change hosts, all you gotta do is go back into phpmyadmin, and now choose the option import btw, and your database is back how it last was when you last used it..

Archived