• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

more efficient way to create account

jmal786

Hi, my first post here. A few days back i ran into a post where a person was complaining about how he was loosing customers because of the whole "creating account" thing.

Another board memeber purposed that he just re-word creating an account because the customer would eventually need to give his personal address anyways.

I cant find that post again but my question is how do i combine login.php and create_account.php into one? I tried cutting code from login.php and inserting it to create_account.php but get errors.

What im doing is having it when someone clicks checkout it takes him to a page where the customer has 2 options. first opetion is to type his email and password and second option right below it is all the fields that are in create_account.php

I know someone out there has done it, any help would be awesome. thanks.

Why not just add the "Purchase Without an Account" contribution.

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,355

Tom

Probalby because that contribution just confuses the customer further, and eliminates the ability to bring the customer back to your site to track their order. Not to mention you actually lose the customers information in the customer table after they've finished ordering. Not of very optimal solution, IMO.

Combining the login and the create account is pretty easy, provided you keep your forms seperated. Many of us have been doing this for a couple of years now.

https://www.wizardsandwars.com/login.php

Even this though, tends to scare off some customers. What I'd really like to see (and what I'll eventually do myself if I could ever find the time) is to combine the create account and the shipping.php page. That would make a more efficient checkout.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

That is exactly what i was talking about. Thanks WizardandWars. Thats an awesome idea of making the checkout process more efficient by putting shipping.php and create_account.php together. If u do keep me posted :thumbsup:

Archived