• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Google not indexing product pages

sb_1

Hello,

I have notices that google is not proerly indexing my product pages. When i do a site:www.mothernaturescloset.com i see some of the pages indexed but the description , or contents never show up. Anyone have any ideas on this. The catagory pages work great.

Thanks,

Scott Bockheim

I have the same problem and i've been online for over a year now. The site is very well optimized and still product pages not indexed. Only Category pages are. Update me if you ever found out why this is happening.

Hello,

I have notices that google is not proerly indexing my product pages. When i do a site:www.mothernaturescloset.com i see some of the pages indexed but the description , or contents never show up. Anyone have any ideas on this. The catagory pages work great.

Thanks,

Scott Bockheim

What is your site? I would love to check it out to see if there is a common theme. I know some people have gotten there product pages indexed. Hopeing for some help from the community trying to figure it out.

Scott

I have the same problem and i've been online for over a year now. The site is very well optimized and still product pages not indexed. Only Category pages are. Update me if you ever found out why this is happening.

Hello,

Thanks,

Scott Bockheim

Scott - I clicked on four of the links to products that google has listed for you and they all came up "No Product found." For example, this one.There is nothing on those pages for google to use to build comments - thus the problem.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Lots of people see this. I did too at first. But eventually Google did get all my product pages. Things I did include:

- Install the All Products contribution so that SEs can easily find all the products

- Eliminate the cPath= from the product URLs, so that SEs would not see two different URLs for the same content

- Eliminate the sorting links on the product listing - ditto

- Make the product name on the product pages be an H1 tag rather than just paragraph text

Seems to have worked.

Do this change in includes\modules\product_listing.php:

if ( ($column_list[$col] != 'PRODUCT_LIST_BUY_NOW') && ($column_list[$col] != 'PRODUCT_LIST_IMAGE') ) {
//      $lc_text = tep_create_sort_heading($HTTP_GET_VARS['sort'], $col+1, $lc_text);
     $lc_text = tep_create_sort_heading(0, $col+1, $lc_text);
   }

I also recommend:

$lc_text = ' <a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 
     // $cPath ? 'cPath=' . $cPath . '&' : '') . 
   'products_id=' . $listing['products_id']) . '">' . $listing['products_name'] . '</a> ';

We just had an osCommerce site go live a couple of weeks ago and I have noticed that Google hasn't indexed subcategory pages and individual product pages. The pattern seems to be that Google indexes (perhaps at least only initially?) pages with only one variable in the url (like product_info?cPath=1) but it ignores links to the subcategories (like product_info?cPath=1_2) let alone links with two variables in the url (like to the product pages).

Would it be better for search engine optimization to reverse the variables in the links? I mean instead of just leaving out cPath like stevel suggest using this:

$lc_text = ' <a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'products_id=' . $listing['products_id'] . ($cPath ? '&cPath=' . $cPath : '')).'">' . $listing['products_name'] . '</a> ';

For PHP it doesn't seem to hurt, but perhaps it entices Google to do more spidering.

Reversing the variables isn't going to make any difference. I suspect the "depth" of the links does make some difference, which is why I think All Products helps.

These are actually both considerations.

Having the key phrase in the URL does provide some boost. Also, the proximity to the beginning of the URL adds some additional weight. Length is also a consideration. The shorter the URL the better.

Personally, I'd say putting the key phrase first in the URL, and eliminating the cpath would provide the most benifit.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Lots of people see this.  I did too at first.  But eventually Google did get all my product pages.  Things I did include:

- 1)Install the All Products contribution so that SEs can easily find all the products

- 2)Eliminate the cPath= from the product URLs, so that SEs would not see two different URLs for the same content

- 3)Eliminate the sorting links on the product listing - ditto

- 4)Make the product name on the product pages be an H1 tag rather than just paragraph text

Seems to have worked.

Stevel, you seem to know how to do these 4 points, you described point 3-Eliminate the sorting links on the product listing.

How to do points 3 and 4?

Keesjan

I assume you mean 2 and 4?

I already gave part of 2. The other part of 2 is in application_top.php at around line 493 - make this change:

//    $breadcrumb->add($products_name['products_model'], tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'products_id=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id']));
   $breadcrumb->add($products_model['products_model']);

Actually, in my store, I replace 'products_model' with 'products_name' in both places, so that the product name shows in the breadcrumb. This is entirely optional and will depend on your own needs, though I'll point out that it is a benefit to have the product name be a link here.

For #4, in product_info.php, around line 92, replace:

<td class="pageHeading" valign="top"><?php echo $products_name; ?></td>

with

<td valign="top"><h1><?php echo $products_name; ?></h1></td>

Last, go to stylesheet.css and replace this (about line 170):

TD.pageHeading, DIV.pageHeading {

with this:

TD.pageHeading, DIV.pageHeading, H1 {

That should do it.

Goto google and type in site:www.yoursitenamehere.com

Scott

Okay..  I'm a newbie at getting sites listed with Google. 

Exactly how do you find out if Google even has your site listed let alone if the product pages are categorized.

Thanks

Julie

Hi everyone

i have a similar problem

when i goto google and type my website address it show my website but with out any products or any thing else

my website is gadgetboom

what is the best way to add your website to google and list it there as i install products meta tags and header meta tags but it seems they dont work at all

Do you use frames or some sort?

I am not seeing anything in the source exept this

<FRAMESET ROWS="*,0" FRAMEBORDER=0 BORDER=0 FRAMESPACING=0>
<FRAME SRC="http://www.gadgetboom.net/" NORESIZE>
</FRAMESET>

You might want to think about removing this.

When this is done you can test your site with a search engine simultator like this one.

Remko

- Install the All Products contribution so that SEs can easily find all the products

- Eliminate the cPath= from the product URLs, so that SEs would not see two different URLs for the same content

- Eliminate the sorting links on the product listing - ditto

- Make the product name on the product pages be an H1 tag rather than just paragraph text

Ok.. I've done 1 and 3 (how I confirm 3 is working?)

Alos done 2.. but still get cpath in the URLs..

What I cocked up??

Thanks

You can confirm that you don't have sorting links by going to one of your category pages and hovering over one of the list columns such as Price. Is it a link or not?

Regarding cPath - you need this for the category pages. It's only in URLs for the individual product pages that it is optional. As I don't know and can't see what you've done, I can't comment further.

Or the alternative is to use Mod_Rewrite within your .htaccess and have links on your page pointing to custom written search engine friendly url's..

see my site cheap-sim-card.com for an example :)

Please have a quick look at www.japaneseperformanceparts.com

I notice now that I have also lost somewhere in the last few weeks of tinkering, the small images beside the product when looking at a list of items.

• 1 month later...
For #4,  in product_info.php, around line 92, replace:

<td class="pageHeading" valign="top"><?php echo $products_name; ?></td>

with

<td valign="top"><h1><?php echo $products_name; ?></h1></td>

Last, go to stylesheet.css and replace this (about line 170):

TD.pageHeading, DIV.pageHeading {

with this:

TD.pageHeading, DIV.pageHeading, H1 {

That should do it.

I have done this and the product names are H1, but they look very basic (standard html H1) - can I get them looking in a nicer style as they were before?

The stylesheet change I suggested should do this for you.  If it doesn't, send me a PM with a link to your site and I'll check it out.

Yes, this has now worked. Took 10mins to begin working for some reason.

Thanks for your help.

Archived