• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Custom Attributes/Fields for products

macmizer

I have a client that has a unique request. The client paints caricatures. He can do so by someone just emailing him a photo or sending it through snail mail. I am setting up a shop for him and used a file upload program/contribution to allow the users to upload a photo or photos. Now he also offers another service where he will still accept photos and paint them on invitations and greeting cards. But in this situation he needs to be able to provide a way for the user to enter text, could be a few hundred to 1500 characters long. There are three sections where the user will have to enter that amount of text. They are:

1) Theme/Ideas/Occasion

2) Postcard - Back

3) Postcard - Front

I need to be able to have these fields added to the products page as an attibute if you will just like you add an attribute for a pulldown or radio button. I also need the field to stretch out across the screen so all the text or most of it can be viewed on the screen for the user to review as well as when the order is placed I need the client to be able to see most of the text and not have it shrunk down to a one line where the client or shop owner would have to copy it out and paste it somewhere to read it.

Another thing I would need is the user needs to have the ability to choose a font style for the items above. Specially for the postcard front and back the user needs to choose a font they want on the front and if they like a different font for the back of the card. My client has about 25 different images of a font sample that the user can see and if they like how the font looks I want the customer to be able to click a check box next to that image in the products page to choose it. There are no additional fees associated with the choosing of the fonts of the other three text fields.

Basically I need the customer to be able to key in text so the shop owner will get it and of course keep it stored right along with the rest of the order.

Any ideas how I can do this?

Rob.

Rob,

Here are two contribs that meet your needs.  You will need to integrate them to meet all of your requirements.

Product Attributes - Option Type Feature supports text input options.

Options as Images for MS2 supports images for option selection.

ed

Those were the exact two I was trying to use. I will start from scratch again with both of these. Do you know if they are both compatible with osCommerce version 2.2-MS2?

I cannot remember the issues I was having previously but like I said I will try again.

Thanks.

Robert

Those were the exact two I was trying to use.  I will start from scratch again with both of these.  Do you know if they are both compatible with osCommerce version 2.2-MS2?

I cannot remember the issues I was having previously but like I said I will try again.

Thanks.

Robert

I downloaded the contribution and noticed that the instructions are not that good meaning. It just says to merge the changes into existing files. It does not say what changed in the file and for me to do a comparison using a program it is very very difficult to find out where and what changed. There have been two other contributions I have added so those show up all over the place in the files and makes it very hard to know what to take from these new Product Attributes - Option Type Feature contribution. Anyone know of somewhere or somehow I can get a good explanation of what I need to take from the new Product Attributes - Option Type Feature files and add to my oscommerce files.

Rob.

I haven't started to customize my shopping cart and want to make sure I can use this feature before I tell my clients that I can. I'm new to OS Commerce, and new to php, so forgive me if I am missing the big picture here.

I am assuming that you are supposed to replace your product_attributes.php file with this one which will allow you to have a text box to enter in a product value.

By the way, I am also doing greeting cards, and the customers have to enter in the font theywould like plus the text they want. The price changes if they want the cards blank or printed. The price for printing also changes if they order more that 50 cards. So..that I think I can do based on the support questions I've seen.

Back to question.

Why is this file in half dutch, and why would placing it in the languages/dutch file do anything if I did have a dutch file, which I don't? Sorry if I am missing something big or obvious here.

Next queston...growing out of first question. I assumed that i am doing everything in the english files since I have an english site, but I notice that when you add products and attributes etc.. the program automatically translates. So..does it automatically update the other include/language files?

THanks in advance for your help!

Julie

All it takes for me to find an answer is to ask a stupid question.

I downloaded the wrong thing... So..

Please disregard my question.

NEXT..

Without a doubt I am going to want to add more than 32 Characters to the text option box. The read me file states that it cannot be increased beyond 32 without changing the functionality. I am assuming that I need to find the tables where the values are stored, and then change varchar(32) to blob.

My question is:

Is that what I need to do to allow the customer to add more than 32 characters, and

2. Exactly what are all the additional tables that need to be changed.

Thanks!

Julie

All it takes for me to find an answer is to ask a stupid question.

I downloaded the wrong thing... So..

Please disregard my question.

NEXT..

Without a doubt I am going to want to add more than 32 Characters to the text option box.  The read me file states that it cannot be increased beyond 32 without changing the functionality.  I am assuming that I need to find the tables where the values are stored, and then change varchar(32) to blob. 

My question is:

Is that what I need to do to allow the customer to add more than 32 characters, and

2.  Exactly what are all the additional tables that need to be changed.

Thanks!

Julie

You need to go to your mysql database and on the table products_options there are two fields to edit.

1) products_options_length

and

2) products_options_comment

I changed the Type from VARCHAR(32) to VARCHAR(255) If you go above that number of characters you can use a Type of BLOB or TEXT.

You also need to go to the table customers_basket_attributes and change the Type from VARCHAR(32) to VARCHAR(255). Now just a side note, the three tables I gave you to change need to all be the same type. So if you use VARCHAR(255) on one field, make sure to use it on all the others.

One thing I want to also do and have not tried is to make that new field that can take 255 characters not extend all the way across my shopping cart screen. When it does it lays over my image on the right hand side. Another thing that is annoying is that I cannot get more than 128 characters on the screen.

You need to go to your mysql database and on the table products_options there are two fields to edit.

1) products_options_length

and

2) products_options_comment

I changed the Type from VARCHAR(32) to VARCHAR(255)  If you go above that number of characters you can use a Type of BLOB or TEXT. 

You also need to go to the table customers_basket_attributes and change the Type from VARCHAR(32) to VARCHAR(255).  Now just a side note, the three tables I gave you to change need to all be the same type.  So if you use VARCHAR(255) on one field, make sure to use it on all the others.

One thing I want to also do and have not tried is to make that new field that can take 255 characters not extend all the way across my shopping cart screen.  When it does it lays over my image on the right hand side.  Another thing that is annoying is that I cannot get more than 128 characters on the screen.

After looking at the installation I did one more time.. it looks like i have not gained that much more functionality. I mean i always had the ability to add a text input field before and request user info. With this contribution it allows you to add a unique name I think and a comment next to the input field but to change the length of text that can be entered would change it for all my other input fields that are set to TEXT in the Products Attributes section. So that is not what I want. I emailed another person who did exactly what I want to do, more or less add a text area for the user to type away. I will keep you posted.

• 3 months later...

I'm having the same problem as Rob:

I downloaded the contribution and noticed that the instructions are not that good meaning. It just says to merge the changes into existing files. It does not say what changed in the file and for me to do a comparison using a program it is very very difficult to find out where and what changed. There have been two other contributions I have added so those show up all over the place in the files and makes it very hard to know what to take from these new Product Attributes - Option Type Feature contribution. Anyone know of somewhere or somehow I can get a good explanation of what I need to take from the new Product Attributes - Option Type Feature files and add to my oscommerce files.

Are there ANY regular detailed installation instructions?

I.E.:

FIND:

coooooooooodeeeeeeeeee;

REPLACE WITH:

neeeeeeeeewcooooooooooodeeeeeeee;

Archived