• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Feedback please

albunch

Ok, we've finally opened the doors to our site.

Now I'm looking for things that we haven't spotted over the last few months that need to be fixed/tweaked on the site.

Honest feedback is appreciated..

I will say though that we're going to eliminate, "Welcome Guest! Would you like to log yourself in? Or would you prefer to create an account?" from the top of the page and put a text blurb between new releases and best sellers.

We're also going to completely eliminate the corners from the boxes down in the body of the page so that all the boxes have squared corners.

Other than that..

www.atomicvideoranch.com

Thanks in advance for any positive OR negative feeback!

-Al

Boycott shampoo, demand real poo instead.

What can I say?

It looks pretty much the same as everyone else's site. Everything seemed to work.

A few points to ponder:

Do you want to admit that you have are a brand new business?

The title lead me to expect to find videos rather than computer games.

'home', 'top' and 'catalog' all point to the same page.

On these sort of products I would normally expect to see free shipping and/or faster delivery.

The disclaimer is hard to read because it is all in capitals and your page is very wide

Your contact address and telphone number seem to be missing.

hth

David

Hmmm, a problem I have with your site is the fact that it scrolls horizontally when viewing in 800x600 but fine when viewing 1024x768, but I think most people are using 800x600 so that would be your goal ? But it?s annoying to go to a site that scrolls horizontally.

Also when you put your mouse over the letters on the tab at the top, it makes it hard to read since it?s pretty much the same color just a bit lighter.

All in all, it?s pretty stock, but everything seems pretty functional on my side?

Standard stock shop.

I find the text in your information sections hard on the eyes to read. Tahoma looks good on titles but not for reading. Try changing back to times/arial or smth easier.

Have to agree with David, your business name lends more towards video products than gaming, and seeing as you stock over 2500 game related products a rebranding might not go far wrong.

Speed wise everything loads pretty ok on 56k. Images are crisp and clean (when available).

Clicked on xbox and was expecting images for the catagories of Games, hardware and Under $20.00.

AAAGH my pet hate of osC. Those horible notify me and review icons. Get rid of them!!

Your products seen to have a lack of descriptions. Not good for search engine ranking. Also use the header tags contrib for better SEO.

It might seem invasive but because some of your products are age rated I'd be inclined to as for DOB, incase dad or mom gets pissed at you for selling their 12 year old an 18's game. YOu can always mail them back their little'uns details !!

Good luck

PhilipH

How many 12 year olds are buying stuff online without their parents permission anyways? I mean... Wouldn't they be with them when purchasing the game with THEIR creditcard... You could just put in your terms of agreement any purchases must be made by 18 and older... who knows ~_o

How many 12 year olds are buying stuff online without their parents permission anyways? I mean... Wouldn't they be with them when purchasing the game with THEIR creditcard... You could just put in your terms of agreement any purchases must be made by 18 and older... who knows ~_o

Fair point Rob, but kids these days (you'd sware I was a auldfella) you never can tell. AND they ain't stupid either. If they want it they have ways ..........

Standard stock shop.

I find the text in your information sections hard on the eyes to read. Tahoma looks good on titles but not for reading. Try changing back to times/arial or smth easier.

Have to agree with David, your business name lends more towards video products than gaming, and seeing as you stock over 2500 game related products a rebranding might not go far wrong.

Speed wise everything loads pretty ok on 56k. Images are crisp and clean (when available).

Clicked on xbox and was expecting images for the catagories of Games, hardware and Under $20.00.

AAAGH my pet hate of osC. Those horible notify me and review icons. Get rid of them!!

Your products seen to have a lack of descriptions. Not good for search engine ranking. Also use the header tags contrib for better SEO.

It might seem invasive but because some of your products are age rated I'd be inclined to as for DOB, incase dad or mom gets pissed at you  for selling their 12 year old an 18's game. YOu can always mail them back their little'uns details !!

Good luck

PhilipH

Everyone has given great feedback so far, and I really appreciate it - both taking the time to look and taking the time to come back here and post a response.

You mentioned a header tags contrib for SEO - can you be specific as to which contrib(s) you would recommend?

As for the readability, we're going through data cleanup right now to convert all the uppercase stuff to cap'd titles.

I'm also looking for a tab contribution that's a little slicker - something that has more refined tabs and subcategories under the rabs rather than down in the body. We're trying to minimize the clutter..

I have a feeling the next thing to go will be the "we accept" box and the text version of the best sellers box. Don't know about reviews - we've got some friends that are willing to populate reviews for every game they have that we've got posted - decent content even if the reviews system is so-so..

Also - has anyone on here had experience with any of the affiliate contributions? We're looking into setting up an affiliate program (this is probably OT for this forum, but feel free to PM me or redirect me to another forum).

Thanks again for the feedback - keep it coming..

• 2 weeks later...

*bump*

Ok - I've made some modifications to my shop...how about a little more feedback?

www.atomicvideoranch.com

I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out how to get the subcategories to show up under the tabbed menu similar to Amazon's website - that'll make it eventually...and I'm steadily chewing through the all caps game names trying to get them all to upper and lowercase.

For the age discussion above, in the UK it is possible for a 13 year old to get a bank account which has something called a "Solo" Card (IIRC).

We (as in the UK) had a Newspaper do some investigations into online Knife & Sword sales (which are illegal to sell to minors). However this 12 year old (with the backing of his parents and the newspaper) managed to purchase lots of knifes and even one of those Japanese Swords all online. This is because it is thought that anyone who has a Card must be 18 or over (Not True!).

Hope this helps someone.

A quick solution for your Upper/Lower case problems: http://uk.php.net/ucwords

1, Page Title "osCommerce" this should have been the first thing you changed.

2, Center the header tabs, they look funny being aligned on the left.

3, Footer looks funny, i assume "about us" should be all the way over to the right.

4, Put information on your front page about the website, at the moment it is full of product images and nothing telling me about this "great" website!

5, Your domain name is misleading, where are the videos?

6, Do something about the upcoming list, it is far too long at the moment

7, I would advise you use something like dynamic mopics for extra images. I.E. "screenshots"

8, You need to change the breadcrumb so it shows the product name and not the number

9, "Copyright ? 2004 Enthusiastic Sales, LLC" I dont know if you can do this, as far as i can see you have removed the right column, changed the buttons and added Cat tabs. Don't know if that is enough of a change to warrant the removel of the original copyright. It still looks and feels pretty stock.

10, Get rid of the "This product was added to our catalog on Friday 05 November, 2004." I dont care when you added it.

11, You have no footer on the product info pages, i have to go back to the home page to contact you.

12, You dont have a "contact us" page, why remove the original one, nothing wrong with it.

13, Your contact us details on on your "about us" page. Also it is a mailto, just what the harvesters want. I would advise removing that and use the contact us page that came with the original install.

14, Your Specials Box with the "MORE>" looks funny, maybe put a graphic in there instead.

15, Your product descriptions are way too short.

16, Your thumbs are sometimes bigger than the "click to enlarge" image or most of the time the same size.

17, "Terms of Use and Privacy Statement" did you copy that from somewhere else and just change certain words?

18, Change your breadcrumb to say "home" remove the "top" and "catalog".

19, Game Cube is one word "Gamecube" change the header tab.

20, Do something with your header, make it sparkle! at the moment it just looks boring.

21, Click on "affiliate information"

hope the above helps

Archived