• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How do I get search engines to stop indexing...

deroguy

Hi all,

I am having problems with the Breadcrumb trail being used by search engines as a description for products. So if you search for a product you will see the menu items on the breadcrumb trail instead of the beginning of the product desription. Is there a way around this short of removing any menu directly above the product description.

Thanks

<p.s> I use the meta tags controller and do the description there but most search engines seem to like to create a description from what they see on the page.

It's not so much that they are using the breadcrumb text only, it is just that they are making up the text from the page and that is the most relevant in their eyes. Meta tags are not used by google at all and by the other SE's only sometimes so you cannot rely on them for any useful information. You need to fill your page with relevant text. The SE's will build your description from that.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

It's not so much that they are using the breadcrumb text only, it is just that they are making up the text from the page and that is the most relevant in their eyes.  Meta tags are not used by google at all and by the other SE's only sometimes so you cannot rely on them for any useful information.  You need to fill your page with relevant text.  The SE's will build your description from that.

Jack

But would I be right in saying that regardless of how relevant the text is ...as long is there is a menu of some description above the product description then a spider will index the menu and then the product

I'm not sure what you mean by "index the menu." However, text at the top of the page is given the most weight. The text that a SE displays, especially google, is taken from your page. You cannot control what the bot uses. All you can try to do is make a certain section of your page more relevant than the others in hopes that the SE's will use that. If the SE finds that the menus are more relevant than your text, then it uses text from them. That's why it is recommended to have at least 500 words of text describing your page. If done correctly, it will override things like menus in relevancy.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Archived