• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Would this scare you off??

Terfexdotcom

My site is for americans, and all values are in $USD. If you got to the final step and it stated this -

The price advertised might not be the same price charged to the credit card account due to exchange rate fluctuations. The amount charged will likely be within a dollar more or less than the price you see above. This means that because we are based in New Zealand we have to convert your purchase to New Zealand dollars at the exchange rate on the day it is processed.

Would that scare you off??

- Duncan

---------------------------------

Duncan Jones

Absolutely!!!

I think most people would be put off by not knowing exeactly what was going to be charged to their account.

If I were you, I would adjust my prices enough to cover the fluctuations or see if there's a mod that will update your prices with a couple of clicks upon entering a new exchange rate.

... if you want to REALLY see something that doesn't set up right out of the box without some tweaking,

try being a Foster Parent!

So your site is geared for Americans and priced in US dollars but the prices fluctuate based on market concerns in New Zealand? Not somewhere I would shop. I would expect the price I am given at checkout to be the only amount I am charged on my card. Anything more and I will have the card company investigate and if necessary refund the difference to what I agreed to and what was charged.

And as an American, I would be right in doing so because it is illegal to charge a different amount than what was agreed to. In this case the agreement goes to the totals provided in checkout. With instant online reporting from my card issuers and my bank, I can easily doublecheck these things.

I personally wouldn't care, but I'm a little confused.

Why are you basing your prices in USD and charging in NZD? I would assume that you would get a credit card processing system that can charge in USD & then when it comes to "cashing out" your money, you would get the exchange and not me.

I'm not sure if this makes sense, but that should be the way that it works.

You have to be careful with americans.... just kidding.... i'm used to having a different number charged to my credit card because I'm a canadian with a canadian credit card.

Just my thought....

Why not add another currency via your admin and auto update it? Have your default as USD and add the NZD at the correct exchange rate for that day. You can update this from the admin as and when you wish.

Customers can then change the currency if they are in NZ.

You only have to add your product prices in USD and osc takes care of the rest I believe.

Just a thought.

The prices change about 50 cents, sometimes up sometimes lower. In New Zealand only one bank offers the ability to do transactions in USD, they charge so much for this service its not worth it.

---------------------------------

Duncan Jones

Maybe you need to let them shop in NZD so that their order total is the same as their cc total to avoid confusion.

I know this sounds easy, but sometimes the easy way is the...easiest way to do things, rather than digging deep to sort out a solution.

I for one would not enjoy seeing a disclaimer that told me the price I had in my cart would be different to my cc bill.

As an alternative, you could also add some to your terms and conditions to preempt a situation arising?

Personally, I would rather have the prices listed in NZD. This avoids any possible allegations of false advertising. You could link to a currency translator. You might want to advise customers to be sure they are familiar with their credit card company's policy on charges in foreign currencies; some charge steep fees, while others charge no fees at all.

However you do it, it's probably going to hurt your sales. If it isn't practical for you to operate in USD, you might be able to establish a relationship with a U.S. company that would handle that part of it. What do you sell?

Archived