• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

rewriting the front end

basscakes

hi

i have a client that wants to use oscommerce, but i am leary of trying to customize the look and feel using the available tools. has anyone started with a blank slate, fully customized front end that ties into the oscommerce backend? i want to be able to use a "real" templating system like smarty with css rather than the current system with tables scattered across 20 or 30 include files.

thanks for any input

hi

i have a client that wants to use oscommerce, but i am leary of trying to customize the look and feel using the available tools.  has anyone started with a blank slate, fully customized front end that ties into the oscommerce backend?  i want to be able to use a "real" templating system like smarty with css rather than the current system with tables scattered across 20 or 30 include files.

thanks for any input

Hi,

I hope this might help a bit:

You can edit the original oscommerce.sql with a text editor like UltraEdit.

Please first make a copy of that file, which you can find in the catalog/install directory.

You can remove the lines that start with: INSERT INTO

Now upload the catalog directory and everything in it to your server and run the install. This way the tables of your database on the server will not be filled.

Regards,

Edze

Templating is not the strong suit of osc.

To do what you are asking: better look at a different cart program that already does all that. Might cost but will cost less than trying to reinvent the wheel.

Edze, what are you talking about? LMAO :blink:

Templating is not the strong suit of osc.

To do what you are asking: better look at a different cart program that already does all that. Might cost but will cost less than trying to reinvent the wheel.

Edze, what are you talking about? LMAO :blink:

Hi,

Sorry, don't give it any attention. I was thinking in a different (wrong) direction.

Regards,

Edze

Archived