• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

My site is ALIVE AT LAST

WiseWombat

Hey Wombat,

1) "Our website is best viewed at 1028 x 768 pixels" OMG, wait and I will run out and buy a new computer then complete the review......... waiting for new computer here ....... BRB ............ Hey, you are right it does look better and it only cost me $1500 to view your site properly. Maybe you should change that to "Our website is best viewed on any computer because we know what we are doing".

2) What is the purpose of your languages and currency boxes if they don't do anything?

3) Your BUTTERFLY GIRL WINDOW CLING description is good, not well laid out but at least the important information is there. I can't say the same for your other descriptions. Personally I like consistency when looking at a web site, such as

BUTTERFLY GIRL WINDOW CLING

Dimensions: 25cm x 18cm approx.

Weight: 1 lb.

Shipping: Shipped in own box.

Description: Stained glass window decorations, suncatchers are made from Window Cuddle film, a Transparent static cling vinyl. Decorate your windows with one or make a collage. When they are on a window, they catch the changing daylight and look especially amazing when the sun shines through them. These Window Clings may be affixed and re-used as many times as you like...they're static-cling, so no glue is required. You may stick them on any glass or ceramic surface, such as windows, mirrors, vases, bathroom ceramic tiles, jars, even the car window. The heat does not affect them.

Notes: PLEASE NOTE. THAT EACH WINDOW CLING IS HANDPAINTED AND MAY VARY SLIGHTLY, BUT THIS DOES IN NO WAY AFFECT THE QUALITY.

If you make all your products consistent then people will get used to the format after viewing a few products and it may help them make a quicker choice, and maybe stay at the site a bit longer.

4) I like your stock indication level. I would change the highest level text from >5 to "lots in stock" or something other than a particular number. If the customer knows that you only have 1 or 2 of most items it gives off the appearance that you are a small under stocked company.

5) From your shipping page "To request a refund/return please email us within 3 days of receiving your goods at [email protected]. Products need to be returned to us within 7 days if your refund/return is accepted." I don't think you give the customer enough time here. Lives are busy and post can be slow. People have other things going on in their lives besides running back to the post office to send you returns before your deadline.

6)Privacy;

"We promise that we will not pass on your personal details to any other organisations" <- forgot the period and add an exclusion to third party agent who process payments and ship the product.

In your FAQ "What payment methods do you accept" should be centered and bold. So should "Where do I deposit the payment for Direct Deposit?"

7) I think your conditions statement is missing something.

8) You need to get SSL !!!!!!!

9) On your login to you really need to know DOB and Gender?

10) Your header alt tag says "Welcome our site is best viewed at 800 x 600 pixles" Do you mean to tell me I bought a new computer for nothing :( ... and what are pixles????

Peter

Hi

Check out the "stylesheet.css" file. You can chnge most stuff here like colours, text ect. Find a hex colour sheet online.

Your header is a tad on the large size, I would shrink it down. This will allow you to get rid of the "best viewed at 1028 x 768 pixels" thing.

As mentioned by Peter, if you have no curency or language options to choose from then get rid of it.

Change the stock icons (checkout, basket ect) to somthing that suits your site.

Change the category icons so they have somthing in common! They just look like downloaded clip art at the moment. Keep them the same size as well!

Product descriptions are a little messy. You know that you can use html when writing them? Get rid of the dotted lines and replace them with "<br>" tags.

I like your stock indicator, but do you need it to appear twice on the same page? Get rid of the one with the red box around it.

Toby

Hi

Check out the "stylesheet.css" file. You can chnge most stuff here like colours, text ect. Find a hex colour sheet online.

Your header is a tad on the large size, I would shrink it down. This will allow you to get rid of the "best viewed at 1028 x 768 pixels" thing.

As mentioned by Peter, if you have no curency or language options to choose from then get rid of it.

Change the stock icons (checkout, basket ect) to somthing that suits your site.

Change the category icons so they have somthing in common! They just look like downloaded clip art at the moment.  Keep them the same size as well!

Product descriptions are a little messy. You know that you can use html when writing them? Get rid of the dotted lines and replace them with "<br>" tags.

I like your stock indicator, but do you need it to appear twice on the same page? Get rid of the one with the red box around it.

Toby

Thank you both for your input and comment, which I have taken in. It seems there are quite a few changes that need looking at but it's just finding the time to do it all. ps-Please dont buy a new computer, but if its too late for that just send it back and get a refund with in 3 days :D

( WARNING )

I think I know what Im talking about.

BACK UP BACK UP BACK UP BACK UP

After all the work of getting OSC to do what you want it to- you still have to make it look apealing to your vistors! Hardly anyone will ever notice what goes on in the background, after all.

You might try installing STS (simple templates) contribution, to make it easier. I hard-coded my site, to rid it of the cookie-cutter look, and now I'd like to change it seasonally- well, it's time for an upgrade, and another couple hundred hours chained to the computer.

get rid of the stupid stock images- you can delete them from the the file header.php, for starters- and center your logo image.

psst... wanna buy a wand?

Why are stock osc sites allowed to be reviewed, surley the mod's should stop them in there tracks and stop poor old peter repeating himself day in day out!

Whats the point in reviewing a site that nothing has been done on! Its got to be a waste of time and resources!

People tend to get annoyed when they get feedback such as 'too stock' and 'boring' and the big guns must get sick of seeing an original install!

Just my to penneth!

My advise to wombat and anyone who starts to build an osc store READ THE FLIPPIN KNOWLEDGE BASE!

This is not a dig at wisewombat but people in general!

Mark

Lifes a bitch, then you marry one, then you die!

the mod's should stop them in there tracks and stop poor old peter repeating himself day in day out!

I am not that old :(

If I didn't want to do the review I wouldn't have done it. There are some heavily modified stores here that I look at and then close the browser and move on because they are not my taste. Just because a store is "stock" doesn't mean that the person making it hasn't messed it up along the way. I agree that there is a lot more Wombat and others could do to make their stores better and/or less stock but to each is own. If it is not within a persons ability/budget to change the standard look of their store I don't think that be the deciding factor as to "if" they get their store reviewed by others.

I had a whole other section written but I think it would be better served by the development team rather than stated in a public forum. So those are my only posted thoughts.

Peter

Why are stock osc sites allowed to be reviewed, surley the mod's should stop them in there tracks and stop poor old peter repeating himself day in day out!

Whats the point in reviewing a site that nothing has been done on! Its got to be a waste of time and resources!

People tend to get annoyed when they get feedback such as 'too stock' and 'boring' and the big guns must get sick of seeing an original install!

Just my to penneth!

My advise to wombat and anyone who starts to build an osc store READ THE FLIPPIN KNOWLEDGE BASE!

This is not a dig at wisewombat but people in general!

Mark

I refer you to this post

stop poor old peter repeating himself day in day out!

At least I am not as old as WiseWombat who is celebrating his

44th Birthday today.

Hope you have a great day. 44, that is old :(

I waited too long and couldn't edit the last post, so one more won't hurt. Your meta tag info for your main page is

<title> * * * * * Welcome to wisewombat.com.au * * * * *</title>

This shows up when analyzed as;

Title: Title meta tag contains no errors.

This tag contains 48 characters.

Title relevancy to page content is fair.

The Title relevancy to page content is 80%.

That is fairly good, the rest of the problem is;

Description: Found no description meta tag.

The description meta tag is used by most of the search engines. Consider to add a description meta tag.

Keywords: Found no keywords meta tag.

The keyword meta tag is still used by many search engines. Consider to add a keyword meta tag.

Robots: Found no robots meta tag.

This tag is not really required but helps spiders to index the web page.

Author: Found no author meta tag.

This tag is not really required but helps for your (company) name recognizing.

You need to install header tags or modify your meta tags to suit your needs. More text on the main page would be good also.

Peter

At least you have left the correct copyright on the site.

What work exactly?  Everything appears to be Stock except the Logo.

Thanks for the birthday wish B) and ya I know about the meta tags I havent got around to that yet and ya ya it stock I just happy ive gotten this far because Im not as quite as smart as some people :P

( WARNING )

I think I know what Im talking about.

BACK UP BACK UP BACK UP BACK UP

Archived