• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

adding text

maternalinstincts

When I try to make changes to the text on the main page, either nothing happens or I get a parse error.

Yesterday the problem was because I was making the changes in file manager, but now I am downloading/uploading with filezila, so that is no longer the problem.

Please help

Cathy

When I try to make changes to the text on the main page, either nothing happens or I get a parse error.

Yesterday the problem was because I was making the changes in file manager, but now I am downloading/uploading with filezila, so that is no longer the problem.

Please help

Cathy

Cathy, I had a similar issue, either it was blank, or I recieved a parse error, when you are modifying the page (I am assuming includes/languages/english/index.php) make sure you keep the beginning and ending ' marks or it will not work -

define('TEXT_MAIN', 'This is a default setup of the osCommerce project...');

modify what is italicised and leave the ' ' around it.

Also, make sure if you add quotes or other characters you escape them properly, or php will not parse the page properly (at least I am pretty sure it won't, someone correct me if I am wrong on that -- ex. Welcome to our site, where we are "The best of the Best" should really be: Welcome to our site, where we are \"The best of the Best\")

Maybe I am thinking something else, but I know the products do it if you add a description that you use the inch mark (") in - ex. 21" tires comes out

21\\\\\\" tires and increments the number of \\\\\\\ each time you modify the product (it may only show in the product modify screen though I am not sure) (stripslashes() works great here).

Cathy, I had a similar issue, either it was blank, or I recieved a parse error, when you are modifying the page (I am assuming includes/languages/english/index.php) make sure you keep the beginning and ending '? marks or it will not work -

define('TEXT_MAIN', 'This is a default setup of the osCommerce project...');

modify what is italicised and leave the '? ' around it.

Also, make sure if you add quotes or other characters you escape them properly, or php will not parse the page properly (at least I am pretty sure it won't, someone correct me if I am wrong on that -- ex.? Welcome to our site, where we are "The best of the Best" should really be: Welcome to our site, where we are \"The best of the Best\")?

Maybe I am thinking something else, but I know the products do it if you add a description that you use the inch mark (") in - ex.? 21" tires comes out

21\\\\\\" tires and increments the number of \\\\\\\ each time you modify the product (it may only show in the product modify screen though I am not sure) (stripslashes() works great here).

Billy

Thanks for your help, but it doesn't seeem to work either way. Was that what your problem was? Does it work fine with the proper ' and)?

As for the //// in the "adding products" area, yes I found theat is does that for me too. It is the weirdest thing, but I just delete them when they show, and they don't come back.

Cathy

Billy

Thanks for your help, but it doesn't seeem to work either way. Was that what your problem was? Does it work fine with the proper ' and)?

As for the //// in the "adding products" area, yes I found theat is does that for me too. It is the weirdest thing, but I just delete them when they show, and they don't come back.

Cathy

Actually I would just get the variable names instead of the actual headings, text etc (TEXT_HEADING_MAIN etc). I would try to manually type this line in place of the current one:

define('TEXT_MAIN', 'Welcome.');

and if that works, add a paragraph at a time to it to see if something else in your content is causing it.

Just thought of something, are you using HTML in your page text? If so, we may look to see if that is supported in the text areas that are defined.

Just thought of something, are you using HTML in your page text? If so, we may look to see if that is supported in the text areas that are defined.

At the catalog/includes/languages/english/ level, within this area

define('TEXT_MAIN', '');

you can most certainly use html.

Vger

Archived