• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

HELP!! HELP!! HELP!! FOR THE GREENHORN!

First I am new, so be easy and explain on my level. I would refer a phone call to solve my problem if possible.

OK here is what i did. My cart is up with all the products, no prob. Now when you go to my store you see all the errors, like the stuff they allow you to change. Well i went into file and have erased some of the HTML and now it says HEADING TITLE and so on. I have erased some of the text and it shows on my cart.. Showing pharse error and stuff. How do i get to start over without erasing what i have put in my cart. Please you can call if you can help. I would really appeciate it.

My site is www.importartzone.com to view my cart

My number is 620-382-4331 Please call. My name is James

Parse errors are caused when you enter text with apostrophies without escaping it with a backslash. For instance

Let's (wrong)

Let\'s (right)

Sorry, but don't think anyone's gonna be spending their money phoning you up about this.

Vger

Parse errors are caused when you enter text with apostrophies without escaping it with a backslash.  For instance

Let's (wrong)

Let\'s (right)

Sorry, but don't think anyone's gonna be spending their money phoning you up about this.

Vger

Can I phone you to see if you can help me by explaining what i did in better detail.

James, this is the Age of the Internet. Some of us haven't spoken real words outloud in weeks, lol.

Seriously, if you're going to do business online, then it's about time to strat learning how to communicate online.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

I do not mind calling someone if they can help. Just leave me a number.

what i geuss i need is the file for the shopping cart start page because i erased part of the file because i was messing with the HTML in my file manger to change what the heading says. I want to put it back, by typing it in or by copy paste or however i need to so i may start over on changing my text heading. I would like my file manger to carry the file as it was in the beggining before i thought i was a programmer. Please help

James, this is the Age of the Internet. Some of us haven't spoken real words outloud in weeks, lol.

Seriously, if you're going to do business online, then it's about time to strat learning how to communicate online.

OK THEN tell me how to fix it, It is just easier to hear incase i screw up more. you can read more of what i did in my same topic. See if you can help.

Download a copy of osCommerce to your computer and unzip it. You'll then have a copy of any files you need to replace.

The best way to work with osCommerce is to set your own computer up as a web server, and install a copy of osCommerce. Then you can work on osCommerce and see it just as you would online, and any mistakes you make won't affect your online website. Then, when you've successfully made your changes you can upload the altered files to your website.

Vger

Hi James,

I'm not phoning you either, I'm in Scotland and it's nearly 2am.

However, I may be able to help (hopefully).

Your missing headings are probably due to either of 2 things..

1, in includes/application_top you have removed the line:

require(DIR_WS_LANGUAGES . $language . '.php');

around line 293 in the default installation.

Or

2, you have deleted all the heading definitions in includes/languages/english.php

Your parse error on line 13 of index.php is probably in the application_top.php file not index.php at all (withthout having seen your code I can't be sure!) but line 13 references application_top!

Was just about to look at your shopping cart problem but it seems your site is now completely buggered. I'm getting the following error:

1046 - No Database Selected

select configuration_key as cfgKey, configuration_value as cfgValue from configuration

[TEP STOP]

I suggest you download Beyond Compare (www.scootersoftware.com) file compare software (Highly recommended for all oscommerce developers!!..Free trial!!)and a fresh copy of oscommerce. You will then be able to easily compare your site with the default oscommerce and find all your changes. (select a rules based comparison and you can compare over ftp!)

Off to bed now. I'll check back in about 10 hours to see is you're sorted!

Brian

Download a copy of osCommerce to your computer and unzip it.  You'll then have a copy of any files you need to replace.

The best way to work with osCommerce is to set your own computer up as a web server, and install a copy of osCommerce.  Then you can work on osCommerce and see it just as you would online, and any mistakes you make won't affect your online website.  Then, when you've successfully made your changes you can upload the altered files to your website.

Vger

Thank you where do i get this download from so i may look at it on my computer.

Hi James,

I'm not phoning you either, I'm in Scotland and it's nearly 2am.

However, I may be able to help (hopefully).

Your missing headings are probably due to either of 2 things..

1, in includes/application_top you have removed the line:

require(DIR_WS_LANGUAGES . $language . '.php');

around line 293 in the default installation.

Or

2, you have deleted all the heading definitions in includes/languages/english.php

Your parse error on line 13 of index.php is probably in the application_top.php file not index.php at all (withthout having seen your code I can't be sure!) but line 13 references application_top!

Was just about to look at your shopping cart problem but it seems your site is now completely buggered. I'm getting the following error:

I suggest you download Beyond Compare (www.scootersoftware.com) file compare software (Highly recommended for all oscommerce developers!!..Free trial!!)and a fresh copy of oscommerce. You will then be able to easily compare your site with the default oscommerce and find all your changes. (select a rules based comparison and you can compare over ftp!)

Off to bed now. I'll check back in about 10 hours to see is you're sorted!

Brian

I did erase some of the file. And yes my site is wacked now because i un-installed my catalog by accident from my control panel of hosting company. My host company is requesting a back up to restore. So now my catalog does not work from my site or control panel. I dont access to my cart. I am new to this and am learning everyday. Any help is much appreciated. I am going bald, from pulling my hair out. Smile!

I did erase some of the file. And yes my site is wacked now because i un-installed my catalog by accident from my control panel of hosting company. My host company is requesting a back up to restore. So now my catalog does not work from my site or control panel. I dont access to my cart. I am new to this and am learning everyday. Any help is much appreciated. I am going bald, from pulling my hair out. Smile!

Calm down... from experiance, getting stressed makes you mess it up the more.

I got my site 8 days ago, here it is now www.thepatchworkquilt.co.uk take things one at a time, get to know your file system, get familure with the text.. get yourself a copy of a php editor of some sort , makes writting the code/fixing files/uploading all a lot easier. Take the ugly bits one at a time, if you can figure it , ask. Thats how i got out of my messes, and believe me i had some big messes, all id done online before this was send emails. It can be done, you just need time to familurise with it.

Even old dogs learn new tricks..

Sun

Ok James,

Once you get your catalog back follow the instructions in my earlier post to find the changes you have made and you'll be able to fix the problems.

Don't bother with trying to set up your own computer as a web server at the moment. It's not straightforward and would just stress you even more. We can look at doing that once your current problems are fixed!

Brian

Archived