• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Getting indexed on search engines?

xPATRIOTSx

My store has been up and submitted to Yahoo for well over 2 months, and have been using HTC for about 2 weeks. My address has been listed in Yahoo about a week after I submitted it, and when I search my address and I only get one result.

Initially I had a redirect to my catalog since I'm using osC as my homepage. I recently got rid of that and moved everything up a level.

Was it the redirect that might have been causing my site not to get indexed? If so, should I be a little more patient since I recently installed HTC and got rid of the redirect?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I checked my site using Sitescreamer and had this given to me: Found no robots meta tag.

This tag is not really required but helps spiders to index the web page.

Is that something I need, and of course how do I go about applying it?

Go New England Patriots!!!!

<meta name="robots" content="index,follow">

and for pages you don't want spidered e.g. create_account.php

<meta name="robots" content="noindex,nofollow">

If you are going to apply a redirect then don't use a meta-refresh redirect, instead use a permanent redirect from the .htaccess file.

Initially search engines will only list your homepage, and it may be some months before they come back and spider the whole site.

Vger

<meta name="robots" content="index,follow">

and for pages you don't want spidered e.g. create_account.php

<meta name="robots" content="noindex,nofollow">

If you are going to apply a redirect then don't use a meta-refresh redirect, instead use a permanent redirect from the .htaccess file.

Initially search engines will only list your homepage, and it may be some months before they come back and spider the whole site.

Vger

Thank you Rhea. Does it matter where I put the code?

EDIT: Ok it does matter, found that out quickly. Under the <title> tag is ok?

Go New England Patriots!!!!

Archived