• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Google Cache

koie

Yesterday something odd happened in my shop.

I got an order with an artikel that wasn't in stock anymore.

I checked my settings but these seemed to be OK.

The ALLOW CHECKOUT in the STOCK settings was set to FALSE.

Also the artikel does not show in shop.

Then I thought about google and searched for the specific artikel.

It was still in google listing.

When I clicked on the link the store tried to show the artikel but it showed that the artikel wasn't available. AS IT SHOULD!!!

But when I clicked on the IN CACHE link of google it showed the cached version of the webpage.

When I clicked from this page on the IN CART button it added the artikel in the shopping cart without a problem :'(

Would someone be able to verify my findings?

Thanks in advance...

Remko

You don't provide a link but my guess is that you are looking at a stored (cached) page. Google stores copies of your web pages from previous visits. When you remove a product, or change the link to it, you need to provide a 404 page for it so potential customers are not lost. I doubt that anyone looks at cached pages so it isn't important. It will be cleared up when google cache's the page again.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

You don't provide a link but my guess is that you are looking at a stored (cached) page.  Google stores copies of your web pages from previous visits.  When you remove a product, or change the link to it, you need to provide a 404 page for it so potential customers are not lost.  I doubt that anyone looks at cached pages so it isn't important.  It will be cleared up when google cache's the page again.

Jack

Indeed, these are cached pages.

The thing I am trying to say that if one hits the BUY NOW or IN CART (whatever you call it) button from this cashed page, OSC accepts this and puts the product in the cart.

If you use the regular link OSC handles this perfectly by displaying a message that this product isn't available anymore.

Like I said, it might be a bug and perhaps in further devellopment a extra check could be added.

As google updates it's cached pages frequently I cannot give you a direct link but you can try it in your own store by disabeling one of your products and then do a search for it on google.

First try the normal link and then the cached link.

From the cached link add the product to your cart and see what happens.

A 404 is in place when people mistype a url but this isn't needed for products that are out of stock.

Archived