• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

disabling the 'my account' feature

rklamot

Hello, the process to create an account on my site is time consuming and is costing me customers. Is it possible I can disable the create an account info so that people can just directly enter information and purchase rather than creating an account?

Hello, the process to create an account on my site is time consuming and is costing me customers. Is it possible I can disable the create an account info so that people can just directly enter information and purchase rather than creating an account?

This isn't an answer to your question, but a suggestion to help a bit. Why not disable a lot of the info that isn't needed? (Gender, company, etc). Anything to help speed it up... I don't think it takes too long to sign up, but I realize some people are very impatient. As one who's also setting up an osCommerce store, I think to myself "this isn't that time consuming, and it's not annoying" but then I think as a customer, how many times I've stopped myself from buying something because of a signup thing just the same as this.

Another option is to give them an incentive to sign up, like $X off their first purchase, or X% off their first purchase, or free shipping, etc. The possibilities are endless, and it might be a good stop-gap measure in the meantime until you get a fix for your original question.

There is a contribution called Purchase Without Account that will do this.

This seems to be a matter of perspective for customers and the way it is presented in the store.

If you are a (potential) customer of a web site that is going to buy product, you would (eventually) have to give the site your Name, Address, CC #, etc. for them to send you the product(s).

If you are told "Sign up for an account", that turns some buyers off.

If you are simply asked for your billing and shipping information, you understand that info is needed to process the order and ship the product.

It tends to be "the same difference" - it's all a matter of how it is presented and how the customer perceives it.

Archived