• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Google & OScommerce

safc

Hi

Can anyone help us understand why our google ranking keeps dropping? We just don't seem to be able to get into the top google pages even when we have a unique product. For example, we were the first site to offer the new Noddy Pedal Car and the page title for that product is Noddy Pedal Car, but google didn't seem to rate us (now at position 15). As each new competitor adds the Noddy Pedal Car to their sites they immediately jump above us. On Yahoo we have no problems.

Our site is www.pedalpusherslimited.co.uk

Have we done something that is causing Google to bypass us? We have this issue with most of our products (e.g. Pedal Tractors UK)........ at the start of the year we were often position 1 and now we just don't seem to be up there.

Many thank in advance if you can help us understand what we're doing wrong!

Google is constantly updating and chaging their algorithm or something that is affecting PR. I read yesterday that in the last week or two there are sites that were dropped completely.

It's a nasty game that's being played and will stop someday and until then good luck getting and keeping PR, in my opinion anyway.

Google ranks on relevancy and since the page you gave isn't optiomized for that phase, it doesn't consider your site as relevant to the search as others. You need to perfom SEO on the page if you expect to rank well.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Google ranks on relevancy and since the page you gave isn't optiomized for that phase, it doesn't consider your site as relevant to the search as others.  You need to perfom SEO on the page if you expect to rank well.

Jack

Can you help me understand a bit more.... when you say "isn't optimsed".... what else could we do to the page? We have the title as "Noddy Pedal Car" and the "Noddy Pedal Car" appears as the product name etc....

THanks

You asked about www.pedalpusherslimited.co.uk. The title for it is

Pedal Tractors - Outdoor Toys - Trampolines - Pedal Cars - Farm Toys - Climbing Frames
Are you asking about a different page now? What is the link?

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

You asked about www.pedalpusherslimited.co.uk.  The title for it is Are you asking about a different page now? What is the link?

Jack

Jack - sorry... the link I gave before was for our site in general....... in the above reply I'm referring to http://www.pedalpusherslimited.co.uk/pedal...products_id=421

Thanks

Stuart

As I noted, Google keeps chaning things up and many "veteran" sites keep dropping.

Three things - page title, keywords, content - they all have to match very very very very very well.

However, for the search term phrase "Noddy Pedal Car" and each time a competitor adds this line of products, they over take you in Google. Why?

Read the product description, how much does it have those three words in it? The product name/id (ppc00001).

Your description:

Noddy Pedal Car

[PPC00001]

Click to see larger image

Please note that pop-ups must be enabled

PRICE INCLUDES FREE DELIVERY - If you see a better price - call us!

PRE-ORDER now for delivery in mid-October and be the FIRST to receive one of these fabulous new UK manufactured pedal cars.

The most famous taxi is now available for boys and girl's to drive.

Designed and manufactured in the UK, this amazing vehicle features:

Box Steel Chassis

Aluminium Body

Powder Coat finish

Safe high quality ABS plastic for bumpers and fenders

Adjustable padded seat

Rotary chain driven pedal system

Real Tyres

In addition, every vehicle comes with a unique VIN (vehicle identification number) plates, and front number plate. Once purchashed, the young driver can apply for their stamped and completed tax disc, log book and even a personalised number plates (if their choice is still available!).

Designed for children from 3 through 5 (using European sizing data), this pedal car offers comfortable accomodation and really can be used outside the home.

There are plans to offer a range of accessories from complete rain proof car covers through to electronic steering wheels and tool boxes. Keep visiting us for the latest offers.

Noddy will be available for shipping from early October - Order now to avoid disappointment

The word Noddy is in there twice, the word pedal is there twice, and the word car is there three times. So if I search in google, and your competitors list more content with the key phrase (and parts) listed more than your page/product here, they will show up higher or first than your page. Also, if their content is deemed more relevant (by the googlebot) then sure, they will show up higher. What needs to be in place? Hit the key phrase you are targeting with this product in the head. Use the full product name everytime you talk about the product and then some.

It almost appears as if you have a stock manufactuers description - write your own about it...check your competitors are their descriptions exactly the same? If so, then their page has other elements (meta tags, descriptions, page titles that fit better to google than yours). If it is different, how much to they emphasis the key phrase you are looking for in their description compared to yours?

Hope this helps, any questions just ask or e-mail,

Bill

Ahh - sits are not optimed, just the pages are.

I would say your main problem is how you are displaying it. Google figures that if the item is very important to the page, then it should be at the top. After your title (google ignores your keywords), the next mention of "noddy pedal car" is halfway down the page. Take a look at the sites beating you in the rankings and you will see that they have the phase closer to the top. The default layout of OSC puts the header.php file after the column_left.php file. These can be reversed to bring your information closer to the top while keeping the page layout the same. There is a link on the forums on how to do it and possibly a contribution.

Your title tag neds to be moved to before the meta tags to show that it is more important.

The javascript code should be moved to an external file since SE's can't read external files. This will make your main code appear higher on the page.

All of the those image links you have at the top are hurting you since the SE's can't see images.

You are using the default pageheading class for the Heading. This should be removed and replaced with h1 and bold tags.

And while PR is not very important, it does still count. The PR for this page is 0. You should place a link (or four) to this page in the left, right and/or footer. That way, google will count them as backlinks and increase your PR.

HTH,

Jack

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Ahh - sits are not optimed, just the pages are.

I would say your main problem is how you are displaying it.  Google figures that if the item is very important to the page, then it should be at the top. After your title (google ignores your keywords), the next mention of "noddy pedal car" is halfway down the page.  Take a look at the sites beating you in the rankings and you will see that they have the phase closer to the top.  The default layout of OSC puts the header.php file after the column_left.php file.  These can be reversed to bring your information closer to the top while keeping the page layout the same.  There is a link on the forums on how to do it and possibly a contribution.

Your title tag neds to be moved to before the meta tags to show that it is more important.

The javascript code should be moved to an external file since SE's can't read external files.  This will make your main code appear higher on the page.

All of the those image links you have at the top are hurting you since the SE's can't see images. 

You are using the default pageheading class for the Heading.  This should be removed and replaced with h1 and bold tags. 

And while PR is not very important, it does still count.  The PR for this page is 0.  You should place a link (or four) to this page in the left, right and/or footer.  That way, google will count them as backlinks and increase your PR.

HTH,

Jack

Jack & Bill

Many thanks for your help and insights

Stuart

Archived