• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

renaming admin directory

Edze

Hello,

Might be a stupid question, sorry about this....

I installed oscommerce and all works fine. Only problem is that the admin diectory is simple to find for everyone, which is not what I meant.

I can rename the admin directory, but then I cannot work in the Admin menu.

I know I should have renamed it BEFORE installing oscommerce, but I simply forgot....

Is there a way to rename the admin directory and still have access to all the Administator menus?

With kind regards,

Edze

You can change the name to whatever you want but you have to also change your catalog/includes/configure.php and catalog/admin/includes/configure.php files to refelct the update. Password protecting the admin section should be done also.

if you rename the admin then you must change the admin/includes/configure.php to point to the renamed directory.

also use your host cpanel to protect directories

if you rename the admin then you must change the admin/includes/configure.php to point to the renamed directory.

also use your host cpanel to protect directories

Thank you, Peter and John.

I remember having read this before somewhere, but couldn't find it anymore.

I will change the configure.php files and protect the directory in cPanel.

With kind regards,

Edze

Thank you, Peter and John.

I remember having read this before somewhere, but couldn't find it anymore.

I will change the configure.php files and protect the directory in cPanel.

With kind regards,

Edze

Hi again,

I changed dir admin into dir adminXXX

and in catalog/adminXXX/includes/configure.php I changed:

define('DIR_WS_ADMIN', '/admin/'); into define('DIR_WS_ADMIN', '/adminXXX/');

When entering the new adminXXX directory with my browser I get the following message:

1046 - No Database Selected

select configuration_key as cfgKey, configuration_value as cfgValue from configuration

[TEP STOP]

I don't understand what I should change in catalog/includes/configure.php

Can you help me with this?

With kind regards,

Edze

the 1064 means you have no database name, password, username assigned properly. compare that area with the working catalog/includes/configure.php

Sorry nothing should be changed in the catalog/includes/configure.php

In admin;

define('DIR_WS_ADMIN', '/admin/'); // absolute path required

define('DIR_FS_ADMIN', '/home/xxxxx/public_html/admin/'); // absolute pate required

the 1064 means you have no database name, password, username assigned properly.  compare that area with the working catalog/includes/configure.php

Hi John,

Don't tell me that I had to change the admin directory in the configure.php on the server. I changed it in the configure.php on my PC and uploaded it.. :blink:

No, I did not make a copy of that file first.....

I know the data for the database. So, if you could tell me in which lines to fill in those data in configure.php, I promise you I will naver make the same mistake again!!

With kind regards,

Edze

The DB lines in your admin/includes/configure.php file are the same as the ones as in your catalog/includes/configure.php file. Make sure you use your catalog file to change your online admin file.

To get the rest of the admin info set back is going to take some work if you don't have a backup but can be done by comparing the two configure files. Make a backup of your online catalog/includes/configure.php file before starting. If you loose that one also you are in trouble.

The DB lines in your admin/includes/configure.php file are the same as the ones as in your catalog/includes/configure.php file.  Make sure you use your catalog file to change your online admin file. 

To get the rest of the admin info set back is going to take some work if you don't have a backup but can be done by comparing the two configure files.  Make a backup of your online catalog/includes/configure.php file before starting.  If you loose that one also you are in trouble.

Hi Peter,

I just found an old download from my oscommerce files from the server to my PC! I must have been thinking: You never know... :sweating:

I am sure that I can find the right configure.php files there.

Anyway, thank you very much for your help so far.

Regards,

Edze

Archived