• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Customizing the Look and Feel of the site

jameslkung

I'm new to web design and osCommerce. I was wondering, is there an easier way to customize my site without messing around with all those codes? :'(

I know there are ready-made templates out there but they're too generic for my application.

Please, someone help me!

I'm new to web design and osCommerce.  I was wondering, is there an easier way to customize my site without messing around with all those codes? :'(

I know there are ready-made templates out there but they're too generic for my application.

Please, someone help me!

Short answer, No.

There are a couple of template systems being used which you can find in the contributions section but if you want to change the look of your store you are going to have to get your hands in the code to some extent no matter what you do.

The Knowledge Base is a wonderful thing.

Do you have a problem? Have you checked out Common Problems?

There are many very useful osC Contributions

Are you having trouble with a installed contribution? Have you checked out the support thread found Here

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP!!! You did backup, right??

This is true. Of the 2 template systems STS (Simple Template System) is probably the easiest to get results with quickly.

Iggy

Everything's funny but nothing's a joke...

Short answer, No.

There are a couple of template systems being used which you can find in the contributions section but if you want to change the look of your store you are going to have to get your hands in the code to some extent no matter what you do.

I found some good ebooks on the web some had all the files to replace for the effect. I have nothing to do with these sites but if you email me I will give you the url for a good one. Or just browse the web as I did you will come up with something

I found some good ebooks on the web some had all the files to replace for the effect. I have nothing to do with these sites but if you email me I will give you the url for a good one. Or just browse the web as I did you will come up with something

everytime i try to change something on my site...i get this message

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/motoperf/public_html/ecommerce/os/catalog/includes/languages/english.php on line 79

has anyone ran into this problem before? I made the change in the tool section under file management. I think i'm doing it right...but why the error...

If i try to undo the change....the site is still the screwed up with the above error...the only way i know how to fix it is to reload oscommerce....

This is not really a fix since all of the work that goes into it is gone....

everytime i try to change something on my site...i get this message

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/motoperf/public_html/ecommerce/os/catalog/includes/languages/english.php on line 79

has anyone ran into this problem before?  I made the change in the tool section under file management.  I think i'm doing it right...but why the error...

If i try to undo the change....the site is still the screwed up with the above error...the only way i know how to fix it is to reload oscommerce....

This is not really a fix since all of the work that goes into it is gone....

Hi,

One of the mistakes is, you can not write: Let's see

You will have to write: Let\'s see

Just search in all your php files for the characters \'s and change this.

Hope this will help,

Kind regards,

Edze

• 2 weeks later...
This is true. Of the 2 template systems STS (Simple Template System) is probably the easiest to get results with quickly.

Iggy

Yes STS is easy to manipulate but I ran into some problems recently. On installing STS, whenever the login, Add to Cart and Continue buttons are clicked nothing happens. What could be the cause of this?

one big warning triggered by James' post. James, if you are modifying your store and you only have your online store - your production store - to develop on then you are going to cause yourself a huge amount of grief. If you have to reinstall every time you break something it will a painful experience.

So, either have a development store online you can work on, or if like me you dont have a decent fast net connection, build a local development environment. And then do all your work in DEV and only when you're happy that a modifcation, installs, tests OK and give you expected results, only then migrate it to PROD.

A bit of time invested upfront in planning how you are going to develop, test and finally load into your PROD store will payback tenfold.

Archived