• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

installation problems

Hello,

I've just uploaded the osEcommerce. When I tried to view the index.php, this error shows up. Can anyone help? I've tried to find any php.ini but I cannot.

FATAL ERROR: register_globals is disabled in php.ini, please enable it!

Hello,

I've just uploaded the osEcommerce. When I tried to view the index.php, this error shows up. Can anyone help? I've tried to find any php.ini but I cannot.

Hi Is php installed on your machine or at the server?

Hello,

If it is being run on your webserver ... follow the next information if it isnt ask your isp to enable this function for you or change to a different ecommerce script ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This looks very much like the php.ini file has register globals turned off ...

Look in the php directory for php.ini and change the register_globals tag to on instead of off ..

If you have a windows OS .. dont forget to change the php.ini file if it exists in the C:\windows directory ....

Use the standard "NOTEPAD" to open it and alter it ...

You may want to grab Zend Optimiser tooo ... do a web search for it .... it speeds your php coding up ...

I hope this helps

Cheers

KSComs

Thanks for the quick reply!

I will certainly get hold of my server host to get it done. Wish me luck!

Cheers

If it is being run on your webserver ... follow the next information if it isnt ask your isp to enable this function for you or change to a different ecommerce script ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This looks very much like the php.ini file has register globals turned off ...

Look in the php directory for php.ini and change the register_globals tag to on instead of off ..

If you have a windows OS .. dont forget to change the php.ini file if it exists in the C:\windows directory ....

Use the standard "NOTEPAD" to open it and alter it ...

You may want to grab Zend Optimiser tooo ... do a web search for it .... it speeds your php coding up ...

I hope this helps

Cheers

KSComs

Maybe you should fix your Knowlege Base installation article in that case.

Introduction

osCommerce can be installed on any server where a web server with PHP has been installed on and has access to a MySQL database server.

This includes shared servers, dedicated servers, and even locally on the computer you are currently using, using Linux, Unix, BSD, Mac OS X, and Microsoft Windows operating systems.

Great care has been taken to ensure that:

* osCommerce runs on all PHP versions from 4.0 to the latest version, while at the same time taking advantage of new PHP features introduced since the PHP 4.1 series and remaining compatible to 4.0+ versions.

* osCommerce runs on all PHP enabled web servers, in both module and CGI based installations, on many operating systems

* osCommerce runs on most server specific configurations ranging from dedicated servers to shared servers that utilize different PHP configurations such as register_globals and safe_mode restrictions

<_<

I downloaded it and started to set it up for local testing for this very reason. Turns out that I can't use it after all; my shared hosting company will not enable register_globals, and will close my account if I enable it with a .htaccess file. This has been a known security issue for years now.

This has been a known security issue for years now.

if your shared hosting company has securityproblems for years and you know about it i would change to another company.

"If you're working on something new, then you are necessarily an amateur."

if your shared hosting company has securityproblems for years and you know about it i would change to another company.

register_globals being ON has been known to be a security issue for years. That is why PHP set it to OFF by default a long time ago.

PHP documentation

Apparently osCommerce is aware of this, since this is what their code for checking for it says:

// check if register_globals is enabled.
// since this is a temporary measure this message is hardcoded. The requirement will be removed before 2.2 is finalized.
 if (function_exists('ini_get')) {
   ini_get('register_globals') or exit('FATAL ERROR: register_globals is disabled in php.ini, please enable it!');
 }

My issue was that their documentations says it's been taken care of, when it still hasn't been.

register_globals being ON has been known to be a security issue for years.  That is why PHP set it to OFF by default a long time ago.

PHP documentation

AFAIK that's a php+hosting company problem or do you not agree?

Apparently osCommerce is aware of this, since this is what their code for checking for it says:

// check if register_globals is enabled.
// since this is a temporary measure this message is hardcoded. The requirement will be removed before 2.2 is finalized.
 if (function_exists('ini_get')) {
   ini_get('register_globals') or exit('FATAL ERROR: register_globals is disabled in php.ini, please enable it!');
 }

OsCommerce is indeed checking whether Globals are ON or OFF.

It is interesting though to know what makes you think that the checking implies that (part of) the osCommerce source is unsafe, your quote: <Apparently osCommerce is aware of this ....>

My issue was that their documentations says it's been taken care of, when it still hasn't been.

You are mixing your issue (documentation) with server/hosting/php security problems.

And i'm so sorry, but i don't understand : "it's been taken care of"

What is "it" that has not been taken care of?

Are you possibly the only one aware of new or still not fixed security problems in osCommerce source?

If so please do post them asap or even better send them also now to all team members you can find.

On the other hand, i agree with you that the kb could contain a small note that a brand-new version PHP 5 has been released (bugs unknown?) which sometimes causes some problems during installation os osCommerce software.

And that one should consult the forum for news about the new version of osCommerce software that's being worked on and tips on how sometimes one "can still make it work anyway".

And more, if i understand official postings of team members right the new version will be PHP5 compatible and backwords to PHP 4.

And finally if your host doesn't allow .htaccess you can either change hosts or look for other software, isn't it?

So after all that installation and trying to get it up is useless unless the host company wants to enable the globals. So wat's the use of ths program?!?!? :'( I should try another e-commerce solution then.....Can anyone provide information on another good/acceptable, ecommerce, freeware solution?

AFAIK that's a php+hosting company problem or do you not agree?

OsCommerce is indeed checking whether Globals are ON or OFF.

It is interesting though to know what makes you think that the checking implies that  (part of) the osCommerce source is unsafe, your quote: <Apparently osCommerce is aware of this ....>

You are mixing your issue (documentation) with server/hosting/php security problems.

And i'm so sorry, but i don't understand :  "it's been taken care of"

What is "it" that has not been taken care of?

Are you possibly the only one aware of new or still not fixed security problems in osCommerce source?

If so please do post them asap or even better send them also now to all team members you can find.

On the other hand, i agree with you that the kb could contain a small note that  a brand-new version PHP 5 has been released (bugs unknown?) which sometimes causes some problems during installation os osCommerce software.

And that one should consult the forum for news about the new version of osCommerce software that's being worked on and tips on how sometimes one "can still make it work anyway".

And more, if i understand official postings of team members right the new version will be PHP5 compatible and backwords to PHP 4.

And finally if your host doesn't allow .htaccess you can either change hosts or look for other software, isn't it?

So after all that installation and trying to get it up is useless unless the host company wants to enable the globals. So wat's the use of ths program?!?!? :'(  I should try another e-commerce solution then.....Can anyone provide information on another good/acceptable, ecommerce, freeware solution?
Earlier you posted:
I will certainly get hold of my server host to get it done. Wish me luck!
You did not continue that post untill this one.

If your hosting did not enable, you can try one of the following methods, place the following in an .htaccess file in the root:

1/

php_flag register_globals 0

or try

2/

php_flag register_globals on

or try

3/

php_value register_globals on

or try

4/

php_value register_globals 1

It's been reported that depending on the server configuration one method could work.

Oh, Sorry about the eariler post. My host does not want to allow the activation to happen.

Regarding about the 4 solutions, I dun really quite understand what I need to do. wat is a .htaccessfile? (sorry, I am not that IT smart heh?) :'(

Earlier you posted:

You did not continue that post untill this one.

If your hosting did not enable, you can try one of the following methods, place the following in an .htaccess file in the root:

1/

php_flag register_globals 0

or try

2/

php_flag register_globals on

or try

3/

php_value register_globals on

or try

4/

php_value register_globals 1

It's been reported that  depending on the server configuration  one method could work.

Oh, Sorry about the eariler post. My host does not want to allow the activation to happen.

Regarding about the 4 solutions, I dun really quite understand what I need to do. wat is a .htaccessfile? (sorry, I am not that IT smart heh?) :'(

Pls. go to this URL =>Google is your friend :D

URL:http://www.google.nl/search?hl=nl&q=.htacc...ogle+zoeken&lr=

Sorry, when I right click my file on the ftp server, it only says:

open

copy to file

cut

cop

delete

rename

properties

What should I do?

open your FTP programm

connect to yr FTP server

go to the file

click right on the file

view the menu

look for CHMOD

fill in the numbers

OKie, I am confused. Let me tell you how I go to my ftp server:

I will type ftp.surgegraphics.com and they will prompt a username and password.

After I enter in, I am in the ftp server (or am I wrong?)

Another way is using Dreamweaver to connect to the ftp server.

Yap. Hope I don't confuse ya.

Terence :thumbsup:

isn't that a windows thingie?

thought we were talking about CHMODding files on an ftp server?

OKie, I am confused.  Let me tell you how I go to my ftp server:

seems good idea although i do not know what prog is used. anyhow from your list

open

copy to file

cut

cop

delete

rename

properties

is there no item that expands (small black triangle on the right or so) on a moiseover so that you see the next list?

Best prog/system srounf to FTP:

find (=> Google) a freeware prog called CS_FTPLE (light) and use that one (or the pro-version for a few $$) instead of the one you use now.

Use DW for FTP-things concerning osCommerce only if you really know what you are doing.

Hello,

You also might try todo this:

in yr application_top.php

add in the beginning:

if (!empty($_GET)) {
extract($_GET);
} else if (!empty($HTTP_GET_VARS)) {
extract($HTTP_GET_VARS);
}

if (!empty($_POST)) {
extract($_POST);
} else if (!empty($HTTP_POST_VARS)) {
extract($HTTP_POST_VARS);
}

Okay, I have read through this thread, and find it toally confusing. This is the basic knowledge you need to know.

1. osCommerce only works with register_globals set to 'on'. There is a .htaccess fix, but if you don't even know how to ftp and chmod you're not going to have much luck at running shopping cart software of any sort. The chances are you won't be able to edit the .htaccess file online, probably have to download, edit it, upload again. That's if you know how to 'unhide' it in your ftp files so that you can see it.

2. There is another shopping cart called Zen Cart, based on osCommerce, but more template based, and I don't know if it works with or without register_globals being set to 'on'. You may want to check it out.

3. You've already said that your hosting company won't allow you to turn on register_globals via .htaccess, so if you do this they WILL shut your site down. They'll be on the lookout for it now that you've brought it up with them. Their attitude is totally unreasonable, and suitable only for customers who don't want to run e-commerce sites. There are plenty of good hosting companies out there, so why stay with one that isn't.

Vger

OKie, I am confused.  Let me tell you how I go to my ftp server:

Yap. Hope I don't confuse ya.

Terence  :thumbsup:

download the file with dreamweaver or whatever

right click

select properties

check read only

upload

easy

Archived