• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

USPS Shipping Module Error

thinkertinker.com

I have installed the UPS and USPS shipping modules but only UPS works. I have a user ID and password that I have verified to work. I have submitted a request to the USPS test server manually through my browser and it returned the correct information. However, on my site, I constantly get "An error occured with the USPS shipping calculations. If you prefer to use USPS as your shipping method, please contact the store owner". My products all have weights and my store zip code is correct. UPS module works great. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Greg - Thinker Tinker

I have installed the UPS and USPS shipping modules but only UPS works.  I have a user ID and password that I have verified to work.  I have submitted a request to the USPS test server manually through my browser and it returned the correct information.  However, on my site, I constantly get "An error occured with the USPS shipping calculations.  If you prefer to use USPS as your shipping method, please contact the store owner".  My products all have weights and my store zip code is correct.  UPS module works great.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Greg - Thinker Tinker

Sorry I don't have an aswer for you because I'm having some problems with USPS shipping module also.

Can you answer a few of my questions..perhaps I can narrow down my problem.

I sell DVD's and VHS. I have weights for them .... but their in ounces...3.80 & 8.90. Do you see a problem with entering the weight like this with the USPS module?

Also, I get this kind of error :

Please select the preferred shipping method to use on this order. Please Select

United States Postal Service

-2147219080 - Missing value for Country.

Zone Rates

The shipping rate cannot be determined at this time $0.00 :'(

I also have a User ID and Password with USPS.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated :D

Have you both contacted USPS and asked them to move you to the production server and set your USPS module to "production"?

Francine:

1) The USPS module expects weights to be in pounds and tenths or hundredths of pounds, so you would need to enter the weight of your products as the decimal equivalent of a pound (ie: 3.8oz=0.24lb; 8.9oz=0.56lb [# of ounces/16])

2) The USPS and Zone errors look like you don't have your store location and zone set up completely in your Admin area

... if you want to REALLY see something that doesn't set up right out of the box without some tweaking,

try being a Foster Parent!

Have you both contacted USPS and asked them to move you to the production server and set your USPS module to "production"?

Francine:

1) The USPS module expects weights to be in pounds and tenths or hundredths of pounds, so you would need to enter the weight of your products as the decimal equivalent of a pound (ie: 3.8oz=0.24lb; 8.9oz=0.56lb [# of ounces/16])

2) The USPS and Zone errors look like you don't have your store location and zone set up completely in your Admin area

Thanks for the info on the weights...just changed all my weights.

As for the store location....I do have that setup right.

What I don't think I have right is the Zones.

The Zone Rates that are under the shipping module. Should I have that set to true if I want to use USPS module or is it one or the other?

And with the Zones that are under Locations / Taxes.

I have Canada with its regions..... the United States was not there..which I don't know why so I started entering all the States.

I only want to ship to the US & Canada...I had set them up as zone 1 and zone 2 in the USPS module .

Am I doing any of this wrong? I'm about at the end of my wits.

Any more help would be much appreciated.

Francine;

If you are going to ship via USPS only, you don't need any other module enabled in the shipping modules area.

To limit your customers to only the US and Canada, you would have to clear all of the other countries from the database, either by deleting them one at a time in your Admin->Locations/Taxes->Countries or by dropping and re-creating the countries table in the database with only the data for US and Canada.

If the following are set up AND you have been switched to the production server, the USPS module should function properly:

Admin->Configuration->My Store

Make sure all the appropriate info is set here

Admin->Configuration->Shipping/Packaging

Make sure all the appropriate info is set here

Admin->Modules->Shipping

Set all of the parameters in the USPS module, make sure you are set to production and that USPS has confirmed that they have moved you to production server

... if you want to REALLY see something that doesn't set up right out of the box without some tweaking,

try being a Foster Parent!

Thanks for the help Stuart.

I have turned zones rates off.

In Admin->Configuration->My Store:

Country is set to United States

Zone is set to New Jersey

(btw - my webhosting company set this up for me)

In Admin->Locations/Taxes->Countries - I have Canada & United States only. It reads :

Country ISO Codes

Canada CA CAN

United States US USA

...however I don't understand what purpose the address format is for- giving you numbers 1-5 .

In Admin->Configuration->Shipping/Packaging :

Country of Origin United States

Postal Code 07740

Maximum Package weight 5

Tare weight 0

Larger Packages 0

In Admin->Modules->Shipping

Im set up in USPS module and on the production server.

I found (late last night) it works if I change my shipping address to say in place of New Jersey -> 223 (the country's code)

Then, USPS shows :

United States Postal Service (1 x 0.56lbs)

Priority (2 - 3 Days) $3.85

But when I change my shipping address back to New Jersey

I get the -2147219080 - Missing value for Country

I'm baffled.

Ok, I happen to click on Customers....which shows the account I created for myself.....

Under my Country........it was set to Canada.....instead of United States

I then went back and placed an order....

Delivery Information Page now shows :

This is currently the only shipping method available to use on this order.

United States Postal Service (1 x 0.56lbs)

Priority (2 - 3 Days) $4.85

It has 1.00 handling fee with the shipping price. So, its working.

I'm such a duh. :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

The development setting in the USPS shipping module doesn't seem to work properly. As stated above by a previous posting, I requested access to the USPS production server and now everything works fine. After they granted access to production I changed the USPS module to the Production setting and everything started working.