• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Confused about Email, DNS & host setup.

All,

Our store is hosted, with say (ServereHost) but our actual company domain name and email services are hosted by different company, say (DomainHost). Within store admin we set-up ?Email Address? & ?Email Address From? to be [email protected] and ?send extra order emails? to be [email protected]. Both email accounts already existed at (DomainHost). These accounts receive internet mail just fine via our internet DNS MX records.

The emails sent from the site/webserver to the above addresses never arrive on our mail servers hosted at (DomainHost). (ServerHost) said the mails were just coming back to the postmaster and that we should create local email accounts on their mail servers. I don?t really want to do this as we know our mail works and this would mean migrating all mail accounts and updating our MX records to point to (ServerHost) mail servers.

Just for a test, we created email accounts for customercare and orders on (ServerHost) email server. This worked and all emails from the site defaulted locally. It?s as if the mail server won?t use DNS to find our real MX records but is happy to put the mails to local accounts. The ?Contact Us? page also defaults locally. However, within the OSC site admin tool we can ?Email Customer? and ?Email Order Updates? to customers as long as its not a test email account in our own domain.

I not very familiar with linux webserver/mailserver configs and would welcome any advice that I could feedback to our (ServerHost).

On another email thread??is there any reason why a .COM email address would get a new account welcome registration email but .co.uk would not? I have been testing registrations with a @yahoo.co.uk email account. Deleting the account within OSC admin then starting again, I never get a welcome email for .co.uk. Does the site still know that its previously sent a welcome email? I registered a .Com user today and he got his welcome email.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Just did a quick test:

Registered a .co.uk user and did not get a welcome email. This user had been registered in the past but I deleted them prior to trying this subsequent registration.

Registered a completely new .com user and did get a welcome mail.

Just did a quick test:

Registered a .co.uk user and did not get a welcome email. This user had been registered in the past but I deleted them prior to trying this subsequent registration.

Registered a completely new .com user and did get a welcome mail.

Just a guess and all my experience is with qmail BUT... a mailserver has what it thinks are local domains and not local domains. If there is an entry locally for your domain in the mailservers config it doesn't bother to try to query DNS because, dangit, it's local and that's just a waste of bandwidth. Just deliver and get it over with.

If this is the case you need to ask your host to delete your domain from the mailservers config. It will parse through it's locals, not find it and THEN hit up DNS.

Good luck! Hope that helps!

Iggy

Everything's funny but nothing's a joke...

Archived