• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Email Not Working Completely

toddking

I'm setting up osC and I tried a bogus order to test things out and not confirmation emails or order emails were sent.

In Config/My Store, I have the Email Address, Email From, and Send Extra all as the same address (with same domain as my osC).

In Config/Email Options, I have sendmail selected (on a unix server) for transport, and send emails is set to true.

I set up a bogus customer for myself, ordered an item by credit card, using the 411... number, but no emails sent to my customer address.

Also, if I try to just email a customer in Admin/Tools/Send Email - that doesn't work either.

But, the About Us page DOES send emails! That makes me believe sendmail is fine on the server.

What could I be missing? :huh:

Thanks for your help,

todd

Harald put together a little email test, search the contributions for email test and see what happens there.

Okay - I downloaded that and did the email test. It came back with an "Emails Sent!" message, no errors. But, I didn't get the messages at the address I specified.

What now? :huh:

todd

Did you send it to an address on the same domain, and do you have some kind of Spam Assassin installed? Was the e-mail 'relayed' on Port 25? If so the e-mail may have been tagged as spam and either sent to a blocked items folder or deleted at the server.

Vger

Okay - I downloaded that and did the email test. It came back with an "Emails Sent!" message, no errors. But, I didn't get the messages at the address I specified.

What now?  :huh:

todd

Did you send it to an address on the same domain, and do you have some kind of Spam Assassin installed?  Was the e-mail 'relayed' on Port 25?  If so the e-mail may have been tagged as spam and either sent to a blocked items folder or deleted at the server.

Vger

UPDATE

Vger, I used the email test script and it was able to send both messages (php native and osC) to an account with the same domain as my osC.

However, in trying to send a message to an address on another domain (like a customer) it still says "Emails sent!" and still no emails received. :angry:

I don't have a spam assasin enabled for the addresses I used.

I don't know about relays, port 25, or blocked items folder - how do I find out about those?

Any other ideas?

todd

If you send an e-mail from an e-mail address at your domain, but use your Inter Service Providers e-mail service to send that e-mail (for instance, in the UK, if your ISP is Freeserve, you may use smtp.freeserve.co.uk to send outgoing mails), this is called 'relaying' and it's usually done on Port 25. Many companies will not now accept incoming e-mails that have been relayed, in hopes of blocking more spam. Lots of companies are jumping on this bandwagon, more every day.

The only way around this is to use your domains' own smtp service for outgoing mail, so that the e-mail address matches with the domain it's coming from.

You said earlier that an e-mail sent from the 'about_us' page is delivered, and this would be sent using your domains' smtp service.

Vger

:'( I'm sorry to bump this up to the top but this problem is still occuring. Placing orders, updating orders, contacting customers - none of those functions send out any emails. But, about_us works. And I'm sure sendmail is fine because I have a bulletin board on the same site that uses sendmail and it works.

Are there files I should re-upload? Are there permissions that need changing? Are there any settings I'm missing? Do I need to specify sendmail's path somewhere?

Thanks for helping this newbie.

todd

Well, I've been searching the forums here for 2 days and several hours :sweating: and I am amazed at how many people have this exact same problem! And hardly anyone, it seemed, was able to get a fix, or an easy fix.

From the posts/replies, it seems that if you're having this problem you can either:

1) contact your Host/ISP and make sure you're allowed to use sendmail to send messages to domains other than yours.

or, do what i did

2) use the smtp/authentication contribution found here:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,901/

It's pretty easy to setup, edit/upload two files, then edit two files in your osC. And it's now working for me. You'll need to know your server's smtp server address (usually 'localhost'), the port (well, usually it's 25), and use an email address from your domain, like [email protected], and use it's password. Oh, and the 'helo' bit would just be yourdomain.com. Also, there's a small note that it can't be used with 'send extra order emails' - that must be blank.

I hope this is help for people with this similar problem. Sendmail is usually quite easy and nice but it's all just not cooperating for some reason for me. I am on a unix server and it has smtp so I opted to use it instead along with this contribution.

Good luck to you all, :)

todd

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have download the email contribution but its showing following error

PHP Warning: mail() [function.mail]: Failed to connect to mailserver at "" port 25, verify your "SMTP" and "smtp_port" setting in php.ini or use ini_set() in D:\Sitedata\fawadahmed\Inetpub\wwwroot\catalog\email_test.php on line 15 PHP Warning: mail() [function.mail]: Failed to connect to mailserver at "" port 25, verify your "SMTP" and "smtp_port" setting in php.ini or use ini_set() in D:\Sitedata\fawadahmed\Inetpub\wwwroot\catalog\includes\classes\email.php on line 502.

My website is on windows2003 server but I do not have permission using smtp.

Can you halp me

Fawad

Well, I've been searching the forums here for 2 days and several hours :sweating: and I am amazed at how many people have this exact same problem! And hardly anyone, it seemed, was able to get a fix, or an easy fix.

From the posts/replies, it seems that if you're having this problem you can either:

1) contact your Host/ISP and make sure you're allowed to use sendmail to send messages to domains other than yours.

or, do what i did

It's pretty easy to setup, edit/upload two files, then edit two files in your osC. And it's now working for me. You'll need to know your server's smtp server address (usually 'localhost'), the port (well, usually it's 25), and use an email address from your domain, like [email protected], and use it's password. Oh, and the 'helo' bit would just be yourdomain.com. Also, there's a small note that it can't be used with 'send extra order emails' - that must be blank.

I hope this is help for people with this similar problem. Sendmail is usually quite easy and nice but it's all just not cooperating for some reason for me. I am on a unix server and it has smtp so I opted to use it instead along with this contribution.

Good luck to you all,  :)

todd

Fawad: Okay, thanks for telling us that you're doing this on your own computer (intranet) and not on a live website (internet). Do you have your computer set up as a mail server? Do a search of the internet, there are a variety of programmes out there which you can install, which will allow you to send e-mail using your own computer as the e-mail server.

Vger

Hi

Thanks for response. Can you tell me some sites?

Thanks

Fawad:  Okay, thanks for telling us that you're doing this on your own computer (intranet) and not on a live website (internet).  Do you have your computer set up as a mail server?  Do a search of the internet, there are a variety of programmes out there which you can install, which will allow you to send e-mail using your own computer as the e-mail server.

Vger

I am new at the osCommerce thing and PHP for that matter - I am an ASP programmer by trade - I experienced the same problem as your error here - there are 2 fixes as far as I can tell. The SMTP must be defined in the PHP.INI file located on the server - most hosting companies don't like to alter their standard setups, so the other fix is

doing the ini_set as described below

on line 502 of the email.php file add

elseif (function_exists('ini_set')) {

ini_set('smtp', 'the ip of your mail server-you can get the actual ip from your hosting company');

}

else {

return mail($to, $subject, $this->output, 'From: '.$from.$this->lf.implode($this->lf, $this->headers).$this->lf.implode($this->lf, $xtra_headers));

}

This worked for me on my Windows 2003 server, like I said it no longer errors out,

Hope this helps

Hi,

I have download the email contribution but its showing following error

PHP Warning: mail() [function.mail]: Failed to connect to mailserver at "" port 25, verify your "SMTP" and "smtp_port" setting in php.ini or use ini_set() in D:\Sitedata\fawadahmed\Inetpub\wwwroot\catalog\email_test.php on line 15 PHP Warning: mail() [function.mail]: Failed to connect to mailserver at "" port 25, verify your "SMTP" and "smtp_port" setting in php.ini or use ini_set() in D:\Sitedata\fawadahmed\Inetpub\wwwroot\catalog\includes\classes\email.php on line 502.

My website is on windows2003 server but I do not have permission using smtp.

Can you halp me

Fawad

Another question is my store is uploaded on hosting server and domain name is fawadahmed.com. Is it possible that if I install SMTP server in my computer and send email when customer register on my website or place order?

Thanks

google.com

search for local smtp server

Vger

Hi,

Thanks alot. Email sent fine but i didn't receive any email i don't know why?

Thanks

I am new at the osCommerce thing and PHP for that matter - I am an ASP programmer by trade - I experienced the same problem as your error here - there are 2 fixes as far as I can tell. The SMTP must be defined in the PHP.INI file located on the server - most hosting companies don't like to alter their standard setups, so the other fix is

doing the ini_set as described below

on line 502 of the email.php file add

elseif (function_exists('ini_set')) {

ini_set('smtp', 'the ip of your mail server-you can get the actual ip from your hosting company');

}

else {

return mail($to, $subject, $this->output, 'From: '.$from.$this->lf.implode($this->lf, $this->headers).$this->lf.implode($this->lf, $xtra_headers));

}

This worked for me on my Windows 2003 server, like I said it no longer errors out,

Hope this helps

If you have your domain online (internet) then use the e-mail services provided by your website to send outgoing mail.

For the version of your website you have on your computer (intranet) you will need to install a local smtp server on your computer (try searching for 'PostCast').

Vger

Another question is my store is uploaded on hosting server and domain name is fawadahmed.com.  Is it possible that if I install SMTP server in my computer and send email when customer register on my website or place order?

Thanks

I have my site online but the host doesnt provide smtp services. I can receive eamil to my domain but no sending is allowed. I was going to use my earthlink isp provided email account to send mail. Is this going to work? thanks

I was experiencing the same problem. I looked at the email log files on my server, and it had error messages that said "unmatched doublequote in local part".

I turns out that the current tep_mail function does not like commas or apostrophes in the store owner name/store owner. My client had set the store owner to Shake'm Golf, LLC. Once I removed the apostrophe and the comma, the email started working.

Please check what you have typed in your Store Name/ Store Owner. This may just fix your problem as well.

your source for custom hand-knotted rugs from Nepal.

A part of family of companies.

• 1 year later...

or, do what i did

Good luck to you all, :)

todd

Hi!

I'm sorry to bring up this old thread, but I have searched the board an read for hours and hours, and I cannot seem to get it working.

I have the exact same problem you did, running OSC on an linux server host, and have to use smtp.

I've tried Mail Factory just as you did, but all I get is an error message:

Warning: send(Mail.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/tommyl/public_html/shop/includes/classes/email.php on line 501

Warning: send(): Failed opening 'Mail.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/tommyl/public_html/shop/includes/classes/email.php on line 501

Fatal error: Undefined class name 'mail' in /home/tommyl/public_html/shop/includes/classes/email.php on line 514

I'm a total newbie, does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Regards

TommyL

Archived