• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Are redirects bad?

xPATRIOTSx

I use osC for my whole site including homepage. I have a redirect in my www/ that obviously leads to my /catalog/.

Here's my question, does this hamper spider bots from indexing your catalog? I did a search engine ranking report and only the title of my site is found(which I entered in the redirect itself). Would it benefit me more just to move everything up a level and rid myself of the redirect?

PS-My site has been up for almost 2 months

Go New England Patriots!!!!

If you are just redirecting from within your main page using an html redirect then, yes, this is bad. The SE's will see this as a violation of their rules and it could get you banned. DMoz won't even consider listing such a site. You can redirect in various ways that the SE's don't mind, but the best method is really to move up a level as you mention.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

If you are just redirecting from within your main page using an html redirect then, yes, this is bad.  The SE's will see this as a violation of their rules and it could get you banned.  DMoz won't even consider listing such a site.  You can redirect in various ways that the SE's don't mind, but the best method is really to move up a level as you mention.

Jack

Well that explains alot. Wish I knew that a long time ago, so much indexing time wasted :( Probably explains why my site still hasn't appeared on Google

Go New England Patriots!!!!

Archived