• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

search engine optimization

jahu

There is a software for .asp and java sites that will take your dynamic page and output an html.

It is a form of cloaking, people use this for getting higher search engine rankings.

I was wondering if there was a software or any good tricks that would work with the oscommerce website.

Thanks in advance.

No "good" tricks, just put in the hard work required like most people. I, for one, report sites that use tactics like cloaking. It's unfair to me when I work so hard to get a decent position to have someone apply techniques that bypasses that work. Nothing personal, just a sore point with me.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Cloaking is NOT a recommended way to try to get higher rankings.

However, if you are in the software/game business (thereby being a compeditor of mine), then I highly recommend it, lol.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

• 4 weeks later...

LOL. If you really believe that, cloak something on your site and then report the site to google saying it might contained cloaked code.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Blackhat tactics will only get your site canned in the long run...

Don't cloak. Use good webmaster skills and build a solid foundation based on W3C compliant code, quality content, proper website structure, and relevant linking. If you do this then your site will weather the storm of ANY algorithm change (reference the Florida algo change and now the impending Hilltop algo change by Google).

On every occassion that the search engines have changed their algorithm can you guess who lost the most? The ones that used blackhat tactics like cloaking.

Jack, it's not that funny really. I cloaked for many years and ranked high in very competitive search terms. I had from time to time differences in titles and descriptions and I beleive someone would have reported my site over all these years.

I search around on this subject and found this post from Brett Tabke of Webmaster world backing it up pretty good:

how many of the following sites cloak:

CNN,

RoadRunner,

Yahoo,

Google,

AskJeeves,

Microsoft,

WashingtonPost,

BBC,

Ebay,

Answer? They all do.

The only time cloaking will get you in trouble is if you are delivering vastly different content to the bot as you are the user.

The whole thread is here

That doesn't make it right. If you think it is fine to do, please post your web site here. I've always wanted to see how quickly google responds once a site such as yours is reported for cloaking. As for the link, eveyone has an opinion. The only ones that matter are those of the SE's themselves and they have made it clear, espcially google.

Jack

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

:D at the misinformation in this thread.

What is cloaking

The term "cloaking" is used to describe a website that returns altered webpages to search engines crawling the site. In other words, the webserver is programmed to return different content to Google than it returns to regular users, usually in an attempt to distort search engine rankings. This can mislead users about what they'll find when they click on a search result. To preserve the accuracy and quality of our search results, Google may permanently ban from our index any sites or site authors that engage in cloaking to distort their search rankings.

Let's clear that up into more understandable English:

If you serve up any different code to a "Spider" than to a "Human" visitor, you are cloaking.

Thus, anyone using any form of SID Killer (including Ians MS1, burts MS1, MS2 prevent spider sessions, etc etc) is serving different code to a Bot (or spider) than to a normal visitor.

So, as you can see, cloaking applies to 99% of all osCommerce Stores. I have liaised with "Google Guy" who states that cloaking in this manner (and yes, he did call it cloaking) is allowed, and is in fact preferred by Google - as it allows the Spider to traverse informational pages more easily, which in turn creates a better experience for Google users.

Taking this to it's logical conclusion, he is stating that cloaking is OK. However I would not like to see anyone serve up different content as that is cheating.

But please bear in mind, that cloaking is OK under some circumstances.

So, as you can see, cloaking applies to 99% of all osCommerce Stores.  I have liaised with "Google Guy" who states that cloaking in this manner (and yes, he did call it cloaking) is allowed, and is in fact preferred by Google - as it allows the Spider to traverse informational pages more easily, which in turn creates a better experience for Google users.

Taking this to it's logical conclusion, he is stating that cloaking is OK.

Burt,

Logic doesn't work that way. We can't say, this ball is green, therefor, all balls are green. Based on your description, Google Guy said stripping osCid from the URL, which he calls a form of cloaking, is OK and even preferred. He did not say "All cloaking is OK". Mind you, I wasn't there, you were. So I only have your words to go by.

Did you ask him, what about text in the body of the web page hidden from the human visitor, via color masking or other means, that the BOT can read clearly? Did he say that form of cloaking was OK?

ed

GG called it cloaking, not a form of cloaking. By inference therefore, cloaking is OK.

But, I would say that GG meant exactly as you say - this form of cloaking is OK - that's the point I was trying to make (but my english skills are lacking).

If I can say again; not all forms of cloaking are bad - some are very useful - without using some it would be very hard work for osC to be listed in Search Engines...

Makes more sense now? I know my written language skills are not hot...

1. What is cloaking?

The term "cloaking" is used to describe a website that returns altered webpages to search engines crawling the site. In other words, the webserver is programmed to return different content to Google than it returns to regular users, usually in an attempt to distort search engine rankings. This can mislead users about what they'll find when they click on a search result. To preserve the accuracy and quality of our search results, Google may permanently ban from our index any sites or site authors that engage in cloaking to distort their search rankings.

This is from Google and clearly pointing out that what they do not want you to do is serve different content to the users and the Se's. This is how they define cloaking.

If you for some reason reason want to serve your oscommerce content as html to googlebot, you won't get in any trouple at all. It wouldn't make sence.

Regards

Mike

If you serve up any different code to a "Spider" than to a "Human" visitor, you are cloaking.

Thus, anyone using any form of SID Killer (including Ians MS1, burts MS1,  MS2 prevent spider sessions, etc etc) is serving different code to a Bot (or spider) than to a normal visitor.

It's not cloaking if Google tells us to do it!

Google Webmaster Guidelines

From the "Technical Guidelines" section:

Allow search bots to crawl your sites without session ID's or arguments that track their path through the site. These techniques are useful for tracking individual user behavior, but the access pattern of bots is entirely different. Using these techniques may result in incomplete indexing of your site, as bots may not be able to eliminate URLs that look different but actually point to the same page.

Thus, Google has explicitly defined removing the SID as desireable. To my knowledge (which is limited but growing daily!) this is the only case of modified content that is defined as acceptable by Google.

Everything else is cloaking.

Good stuff - that paragraph in the Technical Guidelines must have been added recently, as it definately wasn't there a couple of years ago which was when the "to cloak" or "not to cloak" subject came up with regards to these SID killers..

After all, if it was a problem, there would not be many osC sites being listed in Google!

Great - so we can say with certainty therefore, that some forms of cloaking are OK (those that do not cloak content).

I am sitting on the fence - so don't read anything into my next question.

If a bot can never see a page with a sid on it - how would it know you were cloaking ?

Your online success is Paramount.

Just wanted to add my $0.02 here. The original question was actually whether or not to change all of the .php pages to static html for SEO purposes. The answer to that question is no, it isn't necessary. .php pages index just as well as static HTML pages. It has been proven that shorter, more concise URLs with key phrase reic text are slightly more effective than a query string, however you can achive that with one of the dozens of mod rewrite contribtuions. There's no need ot create a new html page for each of your php pages.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

If a bot can never see a page with a sid on it - how would it know you were cloaking ?

There is theories on webmaster forums that Google will introduce a new bot that does not use the traditional googlebot user agent. In this manner, they can locate cloaked pages easily. Of course, this is pure speculation with no way to validate...

The main point of the topic is what is cloaking? Google defines it as:

The term "cloaking" is used to describe a website that returns altered webpages to search engines crawling the site. In other words, the webserver is programmed to return different content to Google than it returns to regular users, usually in an attempt to distort search engine rankings. This can mislead users about what they'll find when they click on a search result.

So, any technique that is designed to distort search engine rankings and mislead users as to content is cloaking.

Killing the SID in osCommerce is not considered cloaking since it does not mislead users as to content and is does not distort search engine rankings. On the contrary, Google recommends killing the SID.

Mine was more a technical question based on:

Thus, anyone using any form of SID Killer (including Ians MS1, burts MS1, MS2 prevent spider sessions, etc etc) is serving different code to a Bot (or spider) than to a normal visitor.

Not a question based on the rights or wrongs of cloaking.

Your online success is Paramount.

Bots can see pages with sid's in :)

Thats why occasionally peoples pages are indexed by google including the SID as the bot doesnt know the difference.

What bots can't do is submit form.

Since removing the SID doesnt change the layout or content of a page that would not be classed as cloaking.

If you have a page (say all products) which was shown only to the bots and clickable link to all other users then prepare to have your site removed :)

Mark Evans

osCommerce Monkey & Lead Guitarist for "Sparky + the Monkeys" (Album on sale in all good record shops)

---------------------------------------

Software is like sex: It's better when it's free. (Linus Torvalds)

Sparky is correct. Another example is in the history of our very own 'allprods contribution'. Very early in the development, someone got the idea to redirect all bots directly to the allprods page rather than showing the content of whatever page they were attempting to display.

Unfortunatly, some of the individulas that implemented this idea actually had their URLs banned from google a short time later.

This would be the definition of 'cloaking' in it's most traditional form.

Archived