• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

i keep getting error message

sunbonnetsue

Im trying to edit my index page via my browser and take out all the default text stuff, but , even after changing my codes to 777 i still get this error message.

Error: I can not write to this file. Please set the right user permissions .

What am i doing wrong ??

Im so confused about all this im getting angry with myself now lol.

I just want to get rid of all the home page text that comes with a new instalation so that i can start adding products, figure out how to get my name on the banner and link to my site home page so i can at least have the store open, dull looking perhaps, but, at least itll allow me to trade while i figure out how to do the rest of it...

Somewhere out there , there has to be a guide for setting this up aimed at those of us with no pc experiance at all, none , zilcho, i can send email and thats it. Heck i get lost trying to understand the knowledge base most of the time.

thanks

Patchie

(is in nightmare land with a stinkin headache..again..)

The file to change is: catalog/includes/languages/yourlanguage/index.php Might want to use notepad to edit it though,

i kinda figured id need to do that..err, how do i get it to my pc, i have cuteftp installed, use that to grab it and download it ? this aint half making me feel so silly lol, does wonders for ones self esteem.

yes use your ftp program to connect to the server locate the file catalog/includes/languages/english/index.php and download it then open it up locally using notepad, dreamweaver, vim, phpedit or similar, do not use word or wordpad as that will inject hidden tag characters into the file which will give you errors.

locate this code

define('TEXT_MAIN', 'This is a default setup of the osCommerce project, products shown are for demonstrational purposes, <b>any products purchased will not be delivered nor will the customer be billed</b>. Any information seen on these products is to be treated as fictional.<br><br><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="5" cellpadding="2"><tr><td class="main" valign="top">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'default/1.gif') . '</td><td class="main" valign="top"><b>Error Messages</b><br><br>If there are any error or warning messages shown above, please correct them first before proceeding.<br><br>Error messages are displayed at the very top of the page with a complete <span class="messageStackError">background</span> color.<br><br>Several checks are performed to ensure a healthy setup of your online store - these checks can be disabled by editing the appropriate parameters at the bottom of the includes/application_top.php file.</td></tr><td class="main" valign="top">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'default/2.gif') . '</td><td class="main" valign="top"><b>Editing Page Texts</b><br><br>The text shown here can be modified in the following file, on each language basis:<br><br><nobr class="messageStackSuccess">[path to catalog]/includes/languages/' . $language . '/' . FILENAME_DEFAULT . '</nobr><br><br>That file can be edited manually, or via the Administration Tool with the <nobr class="messageStackSuccess">Languages->' . ucfirst($language) . '->Define</nobr> or <nobr class="messageStackSuccess">Tools->File Manager</nobr> modules.<br><br>The text is set in the following manner:<br><br><nobr>define(\'TEXT_MAIN\', \'<span class="messageStackSuccess">This is a default setup of the osCommerce project...</span>\');</nobr><br><br>The text highlighted in green may be modified - it is important to keep the define() of the TEXT_MAIN keyword. To remove the text for TEXT_MAIN completely, the following example is used where only two single quote characters exist:<br><br><nobr>define(\'TEXT_MAIN\', \'\');</nobr><br><br>More information concerning the PHP define() function can be read <a href="http://www.php.net/define" target="_blank"><u>here</u></a>.</td></tr><tr><td class="main" valign="top">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'default/3.gif') . '</td><td class="main" valign="top"><b>Securing The Administration Tool</b><br><br>It is important to secure the Administration Tool as there is currently no security implementation available.</td></tr><tr><td class="main" valign="top">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'default/4.gif') . '</td><td class="main" valign="top"><b>Online Documentation</b><br><br>Online documentation can be read at the <a href="http://wiki.oscommerce.com" target="_blank"><u>osCommerce Wiki Documentation Effort</u></a> site.<br><br>Community support is available at the <a href="http://www.oscommerce.com/forums" target="_blank"><u>osCommerce Community Support Forums</u></a> site.</td></tr></table><br>If you wish to download the solution powering this shop, or if you wish to contribute to the osCommerce project, please visit the <a href="http://www.oscommerce.com" target="_blank"><u>support site of osCommerce</u></a>. This shop is running on osCommerce version <font color="#f0000"><b>' . PROJECT_VERSION . '</b></font>.');

and change it to this

define('TEXT_MAIN', '');

that will get rid of the text from the front.

You can now replace with your own text thus

define('TEXT_MAIN', 'This is where you can place your own text but remember to escape apostrophes with a backslash so that words like let\'s look this way in code');

No longer giving free advice. Please place deposit in meter slot provided.  Individual: [=] SME: [==] Corporation: [===]
If deposit does not fit one of the slots provided then you are asking too much! :P

Is your Osc dated try Phoenix  raising oscommerce from the ashes.

yes use your ftp program to connect to the server locate the file catalog/includes/languages/english/index.php and download it then open it up locally using notepad, dreamweaver, vim, phpedit or similar, do not use word or wordpad as that will inject hidden tag characters into the file which will give you errors.

locate this code

define('TEXT_MAIN', 'This is a default setup of the osCommerce project, products shown are for demonstrational purposes, <b>any products purchased will not be delivered nor will the customer be billed</b>. Any information seen on these products is to be treated as fictional.<br><br><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="5" cellpadding="2"><tr><td class="main" valign="top">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'default/1.gif') . '</td><td class="main" valign="top"><b>Error Messages</b><br><br>If there are any error or warning messages shown above, please correct them first before proceeding.<br><br>Error messages are displayed at the very top of the page with a complete <span class="messageStackError">background</span> color.<br><br>Several checks are performed to ensure a healthy setup of your online store - these checks can be disabled by editing the appropriate parameters at the bottom of the includes/application_top.php file.</td></tr><td class="main" valign="top">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'default/2.gif') . '</td><td class="main" valign="top"><b>Editing Page Texts</b><br><br>The text shown here can be modified in the following file, on each language basis:<br><br><nobr class="messageStackSuccess">[path to catalog]/includes/languages/' . $language . '/' . FILENAME_DEFAULT . '</nobr><br><br>That file can be edited manually, or via the Administration Tool with the <nobr class="messageStackSuccess">Languages->' . ucfirst($language) . '->Define</nobr> or <nobr class="messageStackSuccess">Tools->File Manager</nobr> modules.<br><br>The text is set in the following manner:<br><br><nobr>define(\'TEXT_MAIN\', \'<span class="messageStackSuccess">This is a default setup of the osCommerce project...</span>\');</nobr><br><br>The text highlighted in green may be modified - it is important to keep the define() of the TEXT_MAIN keyword. To remove the text for TEXT_MAIN completely, the following example is used where only two single quote characters exist:<br><br><nobr>define(\'TEXT_MAIN\', \'\');</nobr><br><br>More information concerning the PHP define() function can be read <a href="http://www.php.net/define" target="_blank"><u>here</u></a>.</td></tr><tr><td class="main" valign="top">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'default/3.gif') . '</td><td class="main" valign="top"><b>Securing The Administration Tool</b><br><br>It is important to secure the Administration Tool as there is currently no security implementation available.</td></tr><tr><td class="main" valign="top">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'default/4.gif') . '</td><td class="main" valign="top"><b>Online Documentation</b><br><br>Online documentation can be read at the <a href="http://wiki.oscommerce.com" target="_blank"><u>osCommerce Wiki Documentation Effort</u></a> site.<br><br>Community support is available at the <a href="http://www.oscommerce.com/forums" target="_blank"><u>osCommerce Community Support Forums</u></a> site.</td></tr></table><br>If you wish to download the solution powering this shop, or if you wish to contribute to the osCommerce project, please visit the <a href="http://www.oscommerce.com" target="_blank"><u>support site of osCommerce</u></a>. This shop is running on osCommerce version <font color="#f0000"><b>' . PROJECT_VERSION . '</b></font>.');

and change it to this

define('TEXT_MAIN', '');

that will get rid of the text from the front.

You can now replace with your own text thus

define('TEXT_MAIN', 'This is where you can place your own text but remember to escape apostrophes with a backslash so that words like let\'s look this way in code');

Yipee it worked !!!, thanks for the coaching, when its written as easy and consise as you put it, its a doddle, now to plan on paper what else i want to do

Sun )

Archived