• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Book Rental System

spooken

Hi guys,

I'm looking to open a book rental site. I know this topic has been discussed a lot before in this forum where people wants to do DVD rental. I searched but I found no real solution regarding the problem. Many people suggested to hire some programmers to do real 'hacking' to OSCommerce. I'm not sure if anyone who's asked here has succeeded yet, but I found one website Moviepaks.com that use OSC and it's decently designed.

I'm not sure if this is even the right forum to ask this but how much will this 'hacking' cost? I'm curious but I have a limited budget as I'm a student. Thought I could rent textbooks for a small fee. It's better than just to sell it back to the bookshop :). I can only spare perhaps a couple hundred dollars.

Newbie here. I hope I dun get flamed or anything like that. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi,

I am currently building a "rental" site with OSC, the only major thing that needs doing is building the "Queue" function. Everything else is not a problem and I may take the path of hacking the cart and turning it into the customer queue feature or just starting from scratch.

But if there is anybody out there that has already done this i wouldnt mind a few tips :-)

Would love to know what moviepaks did :-)

Hi Madbuce,

I was thinking about using the wishlist but does this not allow a 3rd party to view/add/remove products from it? Or can you mod it so that the only person that can view it is the registered member?

Thanks for the pointer, it was one of my options, not looked at it yet but will do :-)

P.S. very nice site, would it be possible for me to contact you regarding things such as the "queue" function.

Do you find your site profitable?

• 6 months later...
Hi Madbuce,

I was thinking about using the wishlist but does this not allow a 3rd party to view/add/remove products from it? Or can you mod it so that the only person that can view it is the registered member?

I would think you would be able to disable that function of the program

I would think you would be able to disable that function of the program

Blimey, its been that long :blink: another 6 mths and i might get the damn thing up >_<

I think its almost there, just gotta find the time to finish it off :o

Yes i have my "Queue" / "wishlist" all done, used the wishlist as a starting point and now it looks nothing like it. Did have a helping hand from various members on this board so gotta say cheers to them!

Mighty Mike,

Is there anyway you could zip it up and post it. I jave to do a rental site before the new school semester starts and I have no clue how to get this project done. Currently the students are mailing in their request for the lectures they want to check out but as you can imagine that takes a long time. It would be so much easier if I can do it as an online process.

Thanks

Lin

Moviepaks is NOT oscommerce just so ya'll are clear on at least that much......

Make sure you take into account the full logistics of shipment and return as well as the entire queuing process.....

There is a commercial script available (specifically designed for move rentals online) for around $200 that you would be silly to overlook considering the cost of implementing all that you require into oscommerce....

Why reinvent a very costly wheel?

Just my 2 cents.

• 3 months later...

What commercial script is this? could you please post the url?

thanks

Moviepaks is NOT oscommerce just so ya'll are clear on at least that much......

Make sure you take into account the full logistics of shipment and return as well as the entire queuing process.....

There is a commercial script available (specifically designed for move rentals online) for around $200 that you would be silly to overlook considering the cost of implementing all that you require into oscommerce....

Why reinvent a very costly wheel?

Just my 2 cents.

• 1 month later...
Blimey, its been that long :blink: another 6 mths and i might get the damn thing up >_<

I think its almost there, just gotta find the time to finish it off :o

Yes i have my "Queue" / "wishlist" all done, used the wishlist as a starting point and now it looks nothing like it. Did have a helping hand from various members on this board so gotta say cheers to them!

Hi there,

I have a offline DVD rental store and would like to take it online . If you have figures a way to make online DVD rental store using OSCommerce , can you please share with me the code ? I would really appreciate it , as I am unable to find any decend solution out there for free .

Thanks

Archived