• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

i think im getting someplace...maby

sunbonnetsue

am i getting the jist right..

To edit files, i download to my pc and edit from there , then upload back to the oscommerce dir in my control pannel ??

and am i ok to use notebook to try and do this with ?? its all i have at the moment unless i can find some freeware php edit prog thats fit for dummies to use.

not sure about how i download but im gonna have a look through posts and knowledge base to see if i can find anything i can understand.

Thanks

To edit files, i download to my pc and edit from there , then upload back to the oscommerce dir in my control pannel ??

That will work and I sometimes do it myself. But, keep in mind, when your store is live, you will be changing a site that customers may be logged on to. If you make a mistake and it messes up the store, you may/will lose the customer. Another solution is to have a copy of the store (database, osCommerce files, Apache web server, php) and use that to make and test changes. This can be on your local PC or on a server. Upload only when you know it works.

and am i ok to use notebook to try and do this with ?? its all i have at the moment unless i can find some freeware php edit prog thats fit for dummies to use.

Any ASCII file editor will do. There are threads in the forums discussing different editors of choice, some free, some not. I use HTML-Kit. It handles PHP with a plugin.

not sure about how i download but im gonna have a look through posts and knowledge base to see if i can find anything i can understand.

Again, search for ftp threads in the forums. I use WS_FTP for bulk file transfers. (They use to have a free, "lite" version.) I use HTML-Kit for individual files. Many editors, like HTML-Kit, have built in ftp allowing you to download, edit, and upload.

ed

Yeah, you might want to use a basic FTP program to download/upload your files that you're editing but that's how it works. I use a free version of CoffeeCup Direct FTP (coffeecup.com) & it works good - easy to keep everything organized, & much better than uploading through a control panel.

Also, the $20 version of that same program allows you to view/edit files right on the server on the fly, & it's really nice when you're still settign up the site & constantly adding contributions or editing files.

Notebook is all I use for my file editing also, but like I said that directftp is a nice way to go for minor changes to files.

am i getting the jist right..

That's correct.

Notebook or notepad? A few programs can introduce problems if you are not looking out for them. I think it is notepad that adds an extra character at the end of the file. Sometimes when this happens, php fails to execute the file properly. There are many free php editors available that will give you things like spellchecking, color coding and tag matching so you should look into them at some point. See this thread for suggestions.

Thanks

Some of the programs in the above thread allow you to download too. But there are also plenty of free ftp programs.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

That's correct.

Notebook or notepad?  A few programs can introduce problems if you are not looking out for them.  I think it is notepad that adds an extra character at the end of the file. Sometimes when this happens, php fails to execute the file properly.  There are many free php editors available that will give you things like spellchecking, color coding and tag matching so you should look into them at some point.  See this thread for suggestions.

Some of the programs in the above thread allow you to download too.  But there are also plenty of free ftp programs.

Jack

guys/gals i keep getting this message and no idea what it means

Define Language EnglishDeutschEspa?ol

Error: I can not write to this file. Please set the right user permissions on: /home/patchie/public_html/oscommerce/includes/languages/english.php

i thought i had this set up so that i and only i had any permissions at all, but i may have made a bobo in there, when i look at the file in cp it seems to have the permissions set right..755 . am i missing anything ?

Error: I can not write to this file. Please set the right user permissions on: /home/patchie/public_html/oscommerce/includes/languages/english.php

i thought i had this set up so that i and only i had any permissions at all, but i may have made a bobo in there, when i look at the file in cp it seems to have the permissions set right..755 . am i missing anything

You should not be getting this error, because that file should not be writable by anyone who does not have legitimate access to the websites' files (setting it to 755 should not be done). It should be set to no more than 644. You should not have had to alter any file permission settings on any files other than the 'configuration' files.

Vger

Archived