• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Bestbuy, an OS Commerce Rip off?

djgizmo

Bestbuy, an OS Commerce Rip off?

I've taken a close look at the structure of the Bestbuy site and when it comes down to it, it looks like it ripped OS Commerce and modified the hell out of it for design and some extra funtionality. What's your thoughts?

First off, it it was osCommerce, why is that a problem?

Secondly, the whole site seems to be written in java. osCommerce is written <for the most part> in PHP.

Chris Dunning

osCommerce, Contributions Moderator Team

Please do not send me PM! I do not read or answer these often. Use the email button instead!

I do NOT support contributions other than my own. Emails asking for support on other people's contributions will be ignored. Ask in the forum or contact the contribution author directly.

Pretty much all the eCommerce sites have the same basic functionality. I've had similar thoughts about ASP and CGI sites until I looked enough into it.

I would avoid terms like "rip off" though. Best Buy is certainly welcome to use osCommerce in original or modified form. That's not "ripping off," as it's the whole point of the project. So long as the admin pages include the copyright announcement, etc. and the catalog pages either include the copyright or are modified sufficiently, that would be fine. I would think that the team would welcome a major retailer as a showcase store.

Cheers,

Matt

Always back up before making changes.

Please don't bring up Best Buy ever again...lol. I was a manger there for 3 years and it was HORRIBLE.....

But yea...their site is definitely not osCommerce. They had that site custom built, as well as their company intranet and all the "internet enabled" data and content.

Chris Sullivan

Archived