• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Totaly lost !!

sunbonnetsue

ahh figured that bit out, can anyone tell me how to set it to work using ? rather than $ or euro ??

Under your catalog there is a localization menu. You can set currency there.

Welcome, I am a newbie myself. I bought a book on php, I would highly recommend anyone new to oscommerce to find a good one also.

Good luck

Under your catalog there is a localization menu.  You can set currency there. 

Welcome, I am a newbie myself.  I bought a book on php, I would highly recommend anyone new to oscommerce to find a good one also.

Good luck

i think i might just take you up on that, having no tech background what so ever , other than email and browsing, im clueless.. Amazon time me thinks ))

many thanks )

I would advise anyone new to osCommerce to have a good look at the Knowledge Base, as there are some useful instructions there. Here are some general hints, based on my own experience.

1. If this site is going to be critical to your business then be sure to take daily backups of the whole website, including the mysql database.

2. osCommerce runs best when hosted on Linux or Unix servers. Windows servers can be a real pig to work with, and are prone to breakdown and hacking.

3. If you are used to writing html then you should be able to customise osCommerce yourself, but a text editor a bit more advanced than Notepad is a good thing to have. I recommend TextPad. If you are going to alter files, then don't use the online oscommerce file manager to do so. Download the files, and alter them in Notepad or textPad, and then upload them again using an FTP programme e.g.WS FTP Pro.

Hope this helps - Vger

is there a guide to how to use ?? i can get the test site up on my server but i cant figure out how to do anything else

I would advise anyone new to osCommerce to have a good look at the Knowledge Base, as there are some useful instructions there.  Here are some general hints, based on my own experience.

1.  If this site is going to be critical to your business then be sure to take daily backups of the whole website, including the mysql database.

2.  osCommerce runs best when hosted on Linux or Unix servers.  Windows servers can be a real pig to work with, and are prone to breakdown and hacking.

3.  If you are used to writing html then you should be able to customise osCommerce yourself, but a text editor a bit more advanced than Notepad is a good thing to have.  I recommend TextPad.  If you are going to alter files, then don't use the online oscommerce file manager to do so.  Download the files, and alter them in Notepad or textPad, and then upload them again using an FTP programme e.g.WS FTP Pro.

Hope this helps - Vger

Thanks.. After looking at some php books on amazon im really starting to get a wee bit doubtfull as to my being able to do this. I have no experiance of scripting at all.. It just took me 3 days using sitespinner2 to design and upload a single page to my web site , and that was just testing how the software worked. looking at php and html code kinda frightens me, when i say clueless i mean clueless..

But, i decided to go into my own business at the wrong time of year, no grants avail, not going near a business loan, so its shoesting budget , there for i cannot go the road of having someone do my site for me. I need an easy to use cart, that can be intergrated with netbanx and easy to use, and oscom came heavily recomended as being easy..... Im to old for new tricks lol.. right now i reallly want to roll over and give up, but im way to stubborn lol.

ill find out how to get this working even if i have to go 3 weeks with a headache..

patchie

I would advise anyone new to osCommerce to have a good look at the Knowledge Base, as there are some useful instructions there.  Here are some general hints, based on my own experience.

1.  If this site is going to be critical to your business then be sure to take daily backups of the whole website, including the mysql database.

2.  osCommerce runs best when hosted on Linux or Unix servers.  Windows servers can be a real pig to work with, and are prone to breakdown and hacking.

3.  If you are used to writing html then you should be able to customise osCommerce yourself, but a text editor a bit more advanced than Notepad is a good thing to have.  I recommend TextPad.  If you are going to alter files, then don't use the online oscommerce file manager to do so.  Download the files, and alter them in Notepad or textPad, and then upload them again using an FTP programme e.g.WS FTP Pro.

Hope this helps - Vger

I am very new to this also. How do you upload & alter these files? Where are they? I can;t get my cover page to be customized ... & am getting very frustrated! Any help will be gratefully accepted - LOL!

V

V

I am very new to this also. How do you upload & alter these files? Where are they? I can;t get my cover page to be customized ... & am getting very frustrated! Any help will be gratefully accepted - LOL!

V

Just what i was going to ask,also is there a program to help with redesign ?? php is giving me nightmares, i really need something to help me with designing my catalogue pages

The files are on the server for your host. If your hostpackage came with oscommerce, asking your host for help is the first thing to do.

If you do not know the basics of html, it is going to be difficult. I would advise to have a look at buying a template from the many template sites out there, this will give you an instant updated look and all you will have to so is add your logo and products.

I have a reasonable experience on the internet and IT in general, but even I have been working on OScommerce for a couple of weeks to get to grips with it.

Giovanna

The thing to note about osCommerce if you're new to it - is that if you take a look at the root level php files the code can seem frightening. So, if you look in your 'catalog' folder at the file index.php you'll see mainly just php code, with some html tables thrown in. But then, take a look at catalog/includes/languages/english.php and you'll see that it's mainly just html - and this is where you alter what appears on the actual page.

The first index.php page sets up the structure of the page, the header, footer, left column, right column, and then leaves a space for the information that's in the catalog/includes/languages/english/index.php file to be pulled into it. The same structure applies to amost all other pages, though one or two are purely code for carrying out various procedures. Also, I would advise 'newbies' not to alter any of the code associated with the shopping cart, shipping files until they have a little more experience.

The most common mistake new people make, when they are entering text they want to see on the page is the 'parse error' mistake. Even if you are writing in html, the back-end of this programme is php. So if you write "let's do this, blah, blah, blah", it has to be written "let\'s do this, blah, blah, blah". Note the forward slash before the apostrophe!

Hope this helps - Vger

The thing to note about osCommerce if you're new to it - is that if you take a look at the root level php files the code can seem frightening.  So, if you look in your 'catalog' folder at the file index.php you'll see mainly just php code, with some html tables thrown in.  But then, take a look at catalog/includes/languages/english.php and you'll see that it's mainly just html - and this is where you alter what appears on the actual page.

The first index.php page sets up the structure of the page, the header, footer, left column, right column, and then leaves a space for the information that's in the catalog/includes/languages/english/index.php file to be pulled into it.  The same structure applies to amost all other pages, though one or two are purely code for carrying out various procedures.  Also, I would advise 'newbies' not to alter any of the code associated with the shopping cart, shipping files until they have a little more experience.

The most common mistake new people make, when they are entering text they want to see on the page is the 'parse error' mistake.  Even if you are writing in html, the back-end of this programme is php. So if you write "let's do this, blah, blah, blah", it has to be written "let\'s do this, blah, blah, blah".  Note the forward slash before the apostrophe!

Hope this helps - Vger

Im begining to get the hang of setting this up now, i put all my store details and such in, even added a catagory and sub catagory (woohoo, works too lol).

What id like to ask is

Changing the main page, its still in the default , what you get when you install it, text, now forgive me if im getting the wrong idea here, but , if it requires rewritting using html, can i do this in dreamweaver then copy /paste the html coding over to the oscommerce pages ?? I have a feeling im way off track here, clutching at straws i guess, Having no more tech history than sending email, im really really really struggling to get php and html (writting it in code form instead of using dreamweaver via graphic point and shoot) i look at any of this coding and this ole mind just sits there going ehhh ?? its really getting to me now, as everywhere i look everything is written under the idea that the reader will have at least a very basic understanding of php.html. But the be all and end all of it is that i have to get this done myself and i have a time limit to get at least the min amount of stock up there and viewing.

I need to get rid of all the default text and feel soo stupid about not being able to.

Patchie

The thing to note about osCommerce if you're new to it - is that if you take a look at the root level php files the code can seem frightening.  So, if you look in your 'catalog' folder at the file index.php you'll see mainly just php code, with some html tables thrown in.  But then, take a look at catalog/includes/languages/english.php and you'll see that it's mainly just html - and this is where you alter what appears on the actual page.

The first index.php page sets up the structure of the page, the header, footer, left column, right column, and then leaves a space for the information that's in the catalog/includes/languages/english/index.php file to be pulled into it.  The same structure applies to amost all other pages, though one or two are purely code for carrying out various procedures.  Also, I would advise 'newbies' not to alter any of the code associated with the shopping cart, shipping files until they have a little more experience.

The most common mistake new people make, when they are entering text they want to see on the page is the 'parse error' mistake.  Even if you are writing in html, the back-end of this programme is php. So if you write "let's do this, blah, blah, blah", it has to be written "let\'s do this, blah, blah, blah".  Note the forward slash before the apostrophe!

Hope this helps - Vger

Dear Vger,

Having read your comment thoroughly I have 1 comment / question regardig changing the index.php in "catalog/includes/languages/english".

When I use the Filemanager to alter the text in catalog/includes/languages/english/index.php this results in a Parse error.

When I change the same file thru Notebook however the text will show.

No Parse error.

Even 1 letter changed thru the Filemanager results in a PARSE ERROR.

can you shed some light on this please?

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING in c:\appserv\www\catalog\includes\languages\english\index.php on line 13

Is the error msg.

Replacing the Index.php from the original OScommerce dir corrects the problem but everything is back to how it was.

Also I was wondering whether the is a ready Dutch Index.php file which I could use or a Dutch "addon ' so to speak...??

Don't use the osCommerce File Manager to edit files. Download the file via FTP, edit it using NotePad, TextPad, PHPEdit, any of those will do. The osCommerce File Manager, when you click on 'Save' removes back slashes (\) before single quotes, thus causing the parse error e.g. FAQ\'s (correct), becomes FAQ's (parse error). That's what has happened.

Vger

Just go to includes/languages/english/index.php. This is the file you need to edit to remove all of the default homepage text. See my other posts about how to edit (download file, edit, upload again) and how to avoid 'parse' errors.

Dreamweaver writes rubbish code, and I would not recommend using it.

Vger

Im begining to get the hang of setting this up now, i put all my store details and such in, even added a catagory and sub catagory (woohoo, works too lol).

What id like to ask is

Changing the main page, its still in the default , what you get when you install it, text,  now forgive me if im getting the wrong idea here, but , if it requires rewritting using html, can i do this in dreamweaver then copy /paste the html coding over to the oscommerce pages ??  I have a feeling im way off track here, clutching at straws i guess,  Having no more tech history than sending email, im really really really struggling to get php and html (writting it in code form instead of using dreamweaver via graphic point and shoot) i look at any of this coding and this ole mind just sits there going ehhh ?? its really getting to me now, as everywhere i look everything is written under the idea that the reader will have at least a very basic understanding of php.html.  But the be all and end all of it is that i have to get this done myself and i have a time limit to get at least the min amount of stock up there and viewing. 

I need to get rid of all the default text and feel soo stupid about not being able to.

Patchie

Also I was wondering whether the is a ready Dutch Index.php file which I could use or a Dutch "addon ' so to speak...??

Look in 'Contributions', and I think you'll find a Dutch language contribution you can add to osCommerce.

Vger

I found the following language pack :

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,1028

However, using this pack and following the intstructions the following error occurs:

Warning: main(includes/languages/dutch/index.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in c:\appserv\www\catalog\index.php on line 33

Warning: main(includes/languages/dutch/index.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in c:\appserv\www\catalog\index.php on line 33

Fatal error: main(): Failed opening required 'includes/languages/dutch/index.php' (include_path='.;c:\php4\pear') in c:\appserv\www\catalog\index.php on line 33

One thing I don't know how to set was:

" Change the permissions into 755 (rwxr-xr-x) by using 'chmod -R 755 dutch*'

Where can this be changed?

AAW Sugar...HAd to rename DEFAULT.PHP into INDEX.PHP.

But now the ADMIN section is no longer available.... :angry:

Can someone shed a light on this please? :'(

The following error occurs upon accessing the admin section:

Warning: main(includes/languages/dutch.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in c:\appserv\www\catalog\admin\includes\application_top.php on line 130

Warning: main(includes/languages/dutch.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in c:\appserv\www\catalog\admin\includes\application_top.php on line 130

Fatal error: main(): Failed opening required 'includes/languages/dutch.php' (include_path='.;c:\php4\pear') in c:\appserv\www\catalog\admin\includes\application_top.php on line 130

Thers is no line 130 as far as I can tell/ see.

And how can I set the English lingo back to default now?

Don't know! Everyone here on the forums with experience of osCommerce (including the MODS) warns new users not to use that feature. I have suggested that as part of the installation bundle (the zip of osCommerce) that a basic 'how to' and a basic 'what not to do' is included, and that way everyone who unzips osCommerce will have access to a lot of info straight off.

Vger

Dear Vger,

I sincerely want to thank you for your very swift reply.

One thing tho:

If the Filemanager removes the so important (\) backslashes..Why isn't it modified?

Okay..thanx for the info.

However...Where can I manually change the default language ?IE What file can I modify thru Notepad to change back to English as the default language?

It was set by me to Dutch thru the admin section however that section is no longer available and I do not want to re-install OsC considering the amount of work I already have put into it. ;)

Alas...No sql table was included in the Dutch Contribution.

Archived