• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

File structure

5happycampers

Morning all. Being a graphical kinda guy I need to look at a flow chart of how all the OSCommerce site files should be connected. I am confused as to why so many files are dupicated in so many places. So I want to try and make sense of it all. Next I'll tackle the meaning of life. But I think PHP and OSC may take longer :-)

John

Morning all. Being a graphical kinda guy I need to look at a flow chart of how all the OSCommerce site files should be connected. I am confused as to why so many files are dupicated in so many places. So I want to try and make sense of it all. Next I'll tackle the meaning of life. But I think PHP and OSC may take longer :-)

John

Well I do not know of a graphical flow chart but I can help explain why you see so many duplicates.

First off the files are divided into two seperate sections, catalog and admin. The catalog section controls what your customers see and the admin section controls what you see when you are in your admin section. So each of these will have an index.php file and includes folders etc.

The second reason for the duplications is the language files. For example in your catalog there is a privacy.php file that controls how your privacy page is setup but there is also a privacy.php file in your includes/languages/english/ folder that controls what text shows up on the site . The first one controls where the text will be and the second on controls the text itself. This allows you to have multiple languages becuase you can also control the text in the includes/languages/german folder.

I know at first it is confusing but after awhile it makes since and you start to know where to find what you are looking for.

The Knowledge Base is a wonderful thing.

Do you have a problem? Have you checked out Common Problems?

There are many very useful osC Contributions

Are you having trouble with a installed contribution? Have you checked out the support thread found Here

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP!!! You did backup, right??

Archived