• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Pagerank and google...

NGR

Hi there guys!!!

Been searching and searching and re-searching on how to get page rankings higher and now im a bit stuck!

Right, my url is www.ngrcomputers.za.net! This has a page rank of 2. I also registered a co.za domain (as this is the main domain here in SA) - namely www.ngrcomputers.co.za... but this on the other hand has a pagerank of 3!! Now why would that be?? Because as soon as you start browing my site it reverts back to za.net and the page rank is 2!

Now I have a few pages linking back to me - mostly with a page rank of 5 and linking to ngrcomputers.za.net.

Now this is confusing - because why would the co.za have a 3 pagerank and the rest 2. Now I have done that whole oscsid removal for spiders, and its working. As well as the dynamic metatags, all products link(i have read that you should not have more than 100 links on a page, and with more than 800 products I need to break that page up into separate pages somehow)...and found quite a few people to link back to me!!

Im trying to get a decent listing in this search engine : SEngine

Any suggestions how to get my pagerank and listing a bit better - is there something im missing??

Thanks guys,

Nick :P

Hi,

have you got an index.html redirect from www.ngrcomputers.co.za to www.ngrcomputers.za.net? If so do you have different metatags in it - this could account for the different Google page ranking - just a thought.

Our site (www.djdealz.co.uk) has a 5 Google ranking at the moment, we've implemented a links page to relevant sites with a description of their site, most that link back to us have a lower ranking than ours, and the manufacturers do not link back to us, but I think this page has definately helped.

Also, in the product descriptions we have linked directly to downloadable manuals and samples if they are available - for example look here:

http://www.djdealz.co.uk/oscommerce-2.2ms2...products_id=307

Googles page ranking is all abit of a mistery but the more information that you provide the better your page ranking should be.

Good luck!

Jimbo :thumbsup:

Nick - PR is determined by how many links there are to your site - that's it. If you want a higher PR, which isn't very important all in all, then you need to increase the number of backlinks. If you have a page that links to another page, from googles viewpoint, the second page is probably receiving its page rank from the first one. If that is the case, then the PR will be reduced by one. Likewise, if you link a third page off of the second one, then the third page would have a lower PR yet again. You would be far better off putting your efforts into imrpoving your SE index position - that is the most important goal in SEO. Your site needs some work in that area (like a better keyphase). Just my opinion FWIW.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

:P Thanks guys -> really appreciate your efforts!!!

Just wanna ask -> what does Pagerank ACTUALLY do for you, does it not help your rankings???

Also, other than dynamic metatags and all products contributions - has anyone else installed anything else that helped?? Or do you have any interesting sites I could do some research on. Believe me I have looked, but the sites im finding are either old or have conflicting views!!

So maybe I should not worry so much about pagerank hey??

Thanks again guys and have a brilliant weekend!!! :P

PR is determined by how many links there are to your site - that's it.

I think there's a bit more to it than that. ;) The PR of the pages that contain those inbound links for one. A nice PR7 linking to your site will most certainly give your website a boost.

Apathy is a dominant gene - mutate.

Not really. A PR of 7 from an incoming site may cause your site to have a PR of 6. If you haven't optimized your site properly, you won't be indexed well and searches will never find you. PR is really nothing more than a tie breaker. Let's say that you and I sell identical products and that we've both optimized our sites in the same way. When someone searches for the product we sell, google will compare our sites and place us somewhere in the results of their search (the index). Now, if I have 10 backlinks and you have 100, you go before me. There are, of course, other factors and know one knows for sure how google works, but this is the prevailing theory from my understanding.

I'm not saying to ignore PR - I think you should work to improve it. But not at the expense of the other optimizations. It should be one of the lowest prioity items.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Re: many factors

I totally agree. What I wanted to do was to clarify that backlinks aren't the only factor that influences the PR of your site or your position in the SERPs.

Do a search for the term Olympus on Google. The #1 position is www.olympus.com with backlinks totaling 2710 (PR7). The #3 position is www.olympusamerica.com with backlinks totalling 2780 (PR8). This supports your theory of links and PR but not position in the SERPs.

For the term aspirin on the other hand. #1 position has 11 (PR6), the #2 has 4 (PR5), and the #3 has 122 (PR6).

So while in most cases what you're saying re: the importance of backlinks, is true there many cases where it is not. And those who know how to manipulate the SERPs can quickly influence their ranking without adding backlinks.

But as you noted, the algo takes into account many factors and in sum, the number of backlinks is an important factor. I personally don't care about PR. The bottom line is the (sum of traffic * percentage of conversion) - costs = profit. ;)

For the term aspirin on the other hand. #1 position has 11 (PR6),  the #2 has 4 (PR5), and the #3 has 122 (PR6).
PR is determined by the number of backlinks. The above difference occurs because some of those backlinks have higher PR's than the others, as I explained before. Theoritically, if you have one PR7 site linking to you and I have 5 PR1 sites linking to me, then your PR will be higher. It is, of course, not that simple a calculation, but the end result is that's what PR is based on. Show me a site with 0 backlinks but with a PR > 0 and I will re-think my position.

Jack

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

I'm not sure Jack but I think we almost agree. There are shades of difference between what we're saying but the underlying reasoning is that backlinks and PR matter to one degree or another.

>> Show me a site with 0 backlinks but with a PR > 0 and I will re-think my position.

And where would you like it to be placed in the SERPs? ;)

Haha....lol -> looks like im starting a mini debate here...

Okay -> pagerank put aside then (it cant be all that important - I have a pagerank of 3 with mininal back links, 7 would be fantasic though but that sounds like a dream*for now*)

Any other *hints* on what to do to improce listing then?? I dont think im faring to well though google seems to have spidered ALL my pages??

The first thing I would suggest is to pick a good keyword or phase and start optimizing the page for that. Your page title should start with that word(s) and it should be used very often on the page, especially in the header. Right now, you have everything set up for NGR Computers, which no one is searching for. Also, how are you doing your redirect from the one site to the other. If you don't do it right, the SE's will penalize you.

Jack

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Remember though, dont get overly tied up with PR. I agree that this does drive traffic to your site but what you want to do is ensure that this traffic actually buys something!!!

One friend has PR ranking of 5 and the other of 3, different markets admittedly, the PR 3 site is generating the greater actual sales.

I am not saying do not work on increasing the PR/traffic to your site but aim at getting the traffic to convert to sales when they get there, I know I am gonna get snarled at for saying this but the greater traffic DOES NOT always mean greater sales and surely this is what we are all aiming for??

Just my thoughts,

Mike

:) hey guys, thanks for the replies...

Makes us all think eh?? Okay, just means I need to constantly work on both! One thing though : some of you are saying that I might get penalised for the way im re-directing.

That point im not sure of. The ngrcomputers.co.za is a parked domain which my host set up for me! Any idea how to find how its being re-directed??

Also, just picked up something. www.ngrcomputers.co.za = PR3, www.ngrcomputers.za.net = PR2, and www.ngrcomputers.co.za/index.php = PR3??? *shock*

strange how all of this works eh??

:) hey guys, thanks for the replies...

Makes us all think eh?? Okay, just means I need to constantly work on both! One thing though : some of you are saying that I might get penalised for the way im re-directing.

That point im not sure of. The ngrcomputers.co.za is a parked domain which my host set up for me! Any idea how to find how its being re-directed??

Also, just picked up something. www.ngrcomputers.co.za = PR3, www.ngrcomputers.za.net = PR2, and www.ngrcomputers.co.za/index.php = PR3??? *shock*

strange how all of this works eh??

Usually, redirecting done by the host like that is fine since it is done before the SE's ever get to the site. Redirecting using html methods in the pages head section is not a good way.

As I mentioned before pages downstream of a ranking page will be reduced by one. So your .net site is one less than the site doing the linking. The .za and .za/index.php refer to the same page so that's why the PR is the same.

Jack

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Usually, redirecting done by the host like that is fine since it is done before the SE's ever get to the site.  Redirecting using html methods in the pages head section is not a good way.

Just to clarify this particular point...

If I was setting up my own redirect on an Apache server beause I moved content from one folder to another, would I be better off doing this via the use of a .htaccess file instead of a html file with redirect in the Meta tag?

Just to clarify this particular point...

If I was setting up my own redirect on an Apache server beause I moved content from one folder to another, would I be better off doing this via the use of a .htaccess file instead of a html file with redirect in the Meta tag?

Absolutely. And you should be sure to pass the proper server code to the client as well. I.E. 301 or 302

G.

Absolutely. And you should be sure to pass the proper server code to the client as well. I.E. 301 or 302

G.

Thanks, I thought I'd post this anyway in case anyone is reading this thread who doesn't know how to do this....

So if I wanted to get rid of my old home page and direct all it's old links to my new osComm store I could use this in my root directory .htaccess file;

redirect permanent index.php /catalog/index.php

"redirect" - means er.. redirect

"permanent" - means send status code 301 back to the requesting browser or spider

"index.php" - my old page that I don't want people to see.

"/catalog/index.php" - my new shop

Richard.

Archived