• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

need to create a custom form

billybrag

Hi all,

need a little help i would like to create a form similar to this one but im not sure how/where to start?

can anyone help me out please?

pointing me in the right direction would be great!

thanks all

"because it'll hurt more"- the greatest film of all time?

Well, I'd probalby start with the contact us form, as Perter suggested. Make a copy of it, and start adding in your fields, and getting it to 'look' like you want. Then you'll have to code error checking, to be sure that people can't add in invalid data, such as numbers where you expect text, text where you expect numbers. You'll have to make sure they ca'nt enter in too many characters, etc.

Then you'll need to create a table to store all of the data in that you're collecting. You'll need to make sure that you create the table with all of the proper datatypes to be sure it can store what you expect to be entered. You might want to thing about a more normalized model for this data to prevent redundancy, and offer predefined selections in dropdown menus rather than allowing possible entry mistakes.

Then you'll need to write a bit of code that will collect all of the data, put it into an array, and insert it into the table you've creted.

Well, there you have it. Let me know if you have further questions.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Well, I'd probalby start with the contact us form, as Perter suggested. Make a copy of it, and start adding in your fields, and getting it to 'look' like you want. Then you'll have to code error checking, to be sure that people can't add in invalid data, such as numbers where you expect text, text where you expect numbers. You'll have to make sure they ca'nt enter in too many characters, etc.

Then you'll need to create a table to store all of the data in that you're collecting. You'll need to make sure that you create the table with all of the proper datatypes to be sure it can store what you expect to be entered. You might want to thing about a more normalized model for this data to prevent redundancy, and offer predefined selections in dropdown menus rather than allowing possible entry mistakes.

Then you'll need to write a bit of code that will collect all of the data, put it into an array, and insert it into the table you've creted.

Well, there you have it. Let me know if you have further questions.

lol

so easy then :)

sheesh

thanks for the help

Yeah, if it's just emailed to you, it'd would make it quite a bit easier.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

About the same, except that you wouldn't need to do nearly as much error checking, you wouldn't need to create anythign in the database, and you wouldn't need to insert data into the table.

You'd just create the forum, and on submit, collect all the data into a variable, and sent in in email. That would be pretty straightforward.

thanks chris, i have been looking around in my install and i think i have found all the right stuff to copy,

van anyone just list the relevant files that will need copying and/or adjusting to make this work

thanks all for the help

Archived