• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

SQL Genius Needed Please

Jezthomp

Am adding the product sort cont and needed to upload the following sql:

ALTER TABLE products ADD `products_sort_order` INT(3);

INSERT INTO configuration (configuration_id, configuration_title, configuration_key, configuration_value, configuration_description, configuration_group_id, sort_order, last_modified, date_added, use_function, set_function) VALUES (263, 'Display Product Sort Order', 'PRODUCT_SORT_ORDER', '0', 'Do you want to display the Product Sort Order column?', 8, 29, '', '', NULL, NULL);

But i get the following error

Error

SQL-query:

ALTER TABLE products ADD `products_sort_order` INT( 3 )

MySQL said: 

#1060 - Duplicate column name 'products_sort_order'

What am i doing wrong i didnt change the orginal sql at all or do i need to?

Dont like phpmyadmin cause dont have a clue how it works and dont want to to ruin my site :(

Any help

Thankyou

I'm far from a genius, let alone an SQL Genius so I'm hesitant to answer....

IMHO MySQL is telling you that there is already a column "products_sort_order" in the table "products". But you can easily check that with PHPMyAdmin yourself.

If that column is indeed already in the table, then I would say that you can run that SQL query without the ALTER .....INT(3); statement and be fine. Making a db-backup won't hurt of course ;-)

In the admin section (/catalog/admin/) there is on the bottom right a link to "Tools" and backup. There you can make a backup of the database and restore it also if something goes wrong. From the top of my head I think you do have to manually (with FTP or something like that) make a backup directory (/catalog/admin/backups is I think the default). Has to writable and such for the webserver and perhaps you even have to put the name of the backup directory in /admin/includes/configure.php . Perhaps there is more information in the Knowledge Base, haven't checked.

Being able to backup the database is pretty important in my opinion...

also, from a query window, you could just make a copy of the current table in the database.

select * into backup_products from products

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Archived