• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Newbie to ecommerce with a million questions....#1

xlindsayx

Ok, I am new here! Someone told me OSCommerce is 100x better than Agora and Mals-ECommerce (the other two I was debating) so I decided to give it a shot.

The program is really mostly self-explainatory and has not in the least been daunting YET...but there are a few general setup issues I have NO IDEA how to go about doing.

1. setting up the merchant account: this is an new-to-the-internet online mail-order jewelry business that is already established through eBay as well as in retail through jewelry shows and bizzarres and such. I already have a merchant account routing # we use with the credit card machine that we accept in person. Do I need to set up something separate for the internet purchases people will make through the website?

2. using Mals-Ecommerce (www.mals-e.com), I was able to just have a "buy now" button and form on each of my already established 4,000+ html pages for individual products that would add the product to the shopping cart without me having too add it to any other program itself. Is this possible with OSCommerce?

That way I can integrate it into the already established design of the website.

Any help would be much appreciated! I am hoping this forum proves as awesome as the Lunarpages one for support ;-)

Thanks!

Ok, I am new here!  Someone told me OSCommerce is 100x better than Agora and Mals-ECommerce (the other two I was debating) so I decided to give it a shot.

The program is really mostly self-explainatory and has not in the least been daunting YET...but there are a few general setup issues I have NO IDEA how to go about doing.

1. setting up the merchant account:  this is an new-to-the-internet online mail-order jewelry business that is already established through eBay as well as in retail through jewelry shows and bizzarres and such.  I already have a merchant account routing # we use with the credit card machine that we accept in person.  Do I need to set up something separate for the internet purchases people will make through the website?

2. using Mals-Ecommerce (www.mals-e.com), I was able to just have a "buy now" button and form on each of my already established 4,000+ html pages for individual products that would add the product to the shopping cart without me having too add it to any other program itself.  Is this possible with OSCommerce?

That way I can integrate it into the already established design of the website.

Any help would be much appreciated!  I am hoping this forum proves as awesome as the Lunarpages one for support ;-)

Thanks!

You can accept credit cards online and process them offline, but you would need to get a SSL Certificate for security, this can be supplied by your host.

Not sure about the second question, seems like a lot more hassle than its worth, once you upload the products to oscommerce you would have a FULL webstore so why use another one - for that many products I would also look at easypopulate or something like that to upload all the products at once.

You can accept credit cards online and process them offline, but you would need to get a SSL Certificate for security, this can be supplied by your host.

Not sure about the second question, seems like a lot more hassle than its worth, once you upload the products to oscommerce you would have a FULL webstore so why use another one - for that many products I would also look at easypopulate or something like that to upload all the products at once.

i have the ssl, what else is needed to only accept credit cards online?

i have the ssl, what else is needed to only accept credit cards online?

Once you setup OScommerce to use the SSL then you can take credit cards straight away.

In the payment options of the ADMIN, just turn off all other methods except credit cards and that should be you ready to go,

• 1 month later...

I assume you need a merchant program which accepts online orders...if your current one does then maybe there's a way to hook OSC up to accept it (if your merchant isn't listed in the "payments" module, maybe there's a contribution to add them). If your current cc merchant isn't listed, then you'll probably have to sign up with one that is specifically supported by OSC.

That's what I think, anyway...

Hi Guys,

To awnser your question: I have been in the merchant account business for over three years now and can tell you the steps you need to set up your merchant account. I can even set it up for you, at a fairly low cost if you want.The first thing you need to do is have a business licence,ss# and a secure shopping cart. you know there is alot to type... can you call me or e--mail me? and I will give you the info. 951-767-3070 My name is David and just let me know you saw the os commerce forums and need to info- I do it all day long any way for merchants and it would not be any trouble at all...

David Truby Consulting

Hi Guys,

To awnser your question: I have been in the merchant account business for over three years now and can tell you the steps you need to set up your merchant account. I can even set it up for you, at a fairly low cost if you want.The first thing you need to do is have a business licence,ss# and a secure shopping cart. you know there is alot to type... can you call me or e--mail me? and I will give you the info. 951-767-3070 My name is David and just let me know you saw the os commerce forums and need to info- I do it all day long any way for merchants and it would not be any trouble at all...

David Truby Consulting

Nice talking with you charlie- did you get all the paperwork?

Archived