• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

PHP5 and postgres

I've searched in the forum and seen these topics discussed spottily, but with a lot of threads devoted to them.

Which is obviously why I'm adding yet another. :P

Seriously though, it seems to me that this particular environment is going to become a common one for two reasons.

1) developers like myself that are not happy dealing with MySQLs limitations when there is a more robust solution available

2) developers like myself that would prefer to avail themselves of PHP5s object model

I understand that there is a fix in CVS that addresses some of the detected problems with PHP5. I also understand there was once a patch for converting osC to postgres that has bitten the dust.

So I was hoping to get this thread going as a way to have a definitive place to turn for questions about these modifications.

I am currently working in an environment where I have the luxury of two webservers. One is php4, the other is php5. The box with php4 on it is a dual CPU machine, running both MySQL and postgres. The php5 box is single processor.

For the time being, I am leaving my osC sites on the php4 box, but would like to move it to the PHP5 box. Simultaneously, I intend to modify all MySQL-based php4 sites to PHP5 using postgres, with the eventual goal of abandoning PHP4 and MySQL altogether.

So to get the ball rolling here - has anyone here attempted a conversion like this? Has anyone converted to either PHP5 or postgres? What were your experiences? Is there a working patch in existence for conversion to postgres? Am I looking at doing this all from scratch?

Thanks in advance, hopefully this will bear some fruit.

why do you want to use postgres?  this is developed in mysql, is it worth the time and effort for you to reinvent the wheel?

I'm not 100% on wanting to move to postgres, but I like the fact that it has transactions and that it does record locking. I am a bit nervous about MySQL's lack of integrity checking.

At the moment, I'm more concerned with PHP5 and any adjustments necessary to make it work in that environment, and if anyone has encountered any problems with it so far (apart from the necessity of changing the "$this = null;" lines).

• 2 years later...

any updates to using osc with postgres db? A friend of mine has a server that I can use for free, the only catch is that the database is postgres. He likes the security + the postgres works with his other sites. I would definitely like to know how to use postgress for the backend DB.

I'm not 100% on wanting to move to postgres, but I like the fact that it has transactions and that it does record locking. I am a bit nervous about MySQL's lack of integrity checking.

At the moment, I'm more concerned with PHP5 and any adjustments necessary to make it work in that environment, and if anyone has encountered any problems with it so far (apart from the necessity of changing the "$this = null;" lines).

Archived