• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Breadcrumb Trail Inquiry...

NiceGuyEd

Hello all.

A quick question concerning the breadcrumb trail and header navigation bar.

I'm trying to remove it in it's entirity and have successfully done so (my index page and catalog pages load fine). However, I get errors when I try to go to any other page besides the catalog or infopages such as search, login, etc.

Do I have to comment out every instance of $breadcrumb in every page for the entire site? Or is there perhaps a quicker, easier global approach?

Thank you for your time and any possible insight. :)

Regards,

Ed

I'm not sure what changes you made to those files, but the code for the breadcrumb is in the includes/header.php file. Just remove it there and you are done.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

I'm not sure what changes you made to those files, but the code for the breadcrumb is in the includes/header.php file. Just remove it there and you are done.

Thanks for the reply, Jack.

I did indeed remove that. If my memory serves me, it was the second table from the top. Every page of my catalog viewed properly without the breadcrumb trail or header navigation... until I hit search or tried to login, which then posted an error.

For example, when I try to login, I get:

Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in /home/httpd/vhosts/loststudiosnyc.com/httpdocs/login.php on line 83

When I view that line, sure enough it has a reference to the breadcrumb trail:

$breadcrumb->add(NAVBAR_TITLE, tep_href_link(FILENAME_LOGIN, '', 'SSL'));

And so on for every page giving me errors, such as search. I went to the advancedsearch.php file and commented out the $breadcrumb and it worked. The thing is that there is 67 references to it in my entire site and it seems like there must be a better way.

Thanks again for your response and any further insight. :)

Ed

Oops, I forgot about those. The code I mentioned places the basic breadcrumb somewhere on your page. This is what you see when you first visit your site. The code you just mentioned in all of those files is the code that adds that pages title to the breadcrumb. So the one on the login page will add login to the breadcrumb. I'm sorry for the mistake. Yes, if you want to remove it, you will need to remove the one in the header as well as any catalog files that reference it. Removing the code for it in application_top is not necessary since that is just for its creation. But it is no longer necessay if you are removing it from all of the above files so you could remove it from there too if you wanted.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

No problem! And thanks again for the reply.

I just wanted to be sure that I wasn't missing something that would have saved me a ton of work.

It'll be snap to comment all those instances of the breadcrumb trail anyhow as I'll just use "Find and Replace" within dreamweaver locally and reupload.

Thanks again Jack! :)

Ed

• 6 months later...

Archived