• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Editing Files

Rashed

hey,

im new at this at i was just wondiering if it is possible to change files driectly from the server. if i ftp into my oscommerce store then i can change permissions of particular files and edit them however when i try to edit files directly from the server i get the following error

Error: I can not write to this file. Please set the right user permissions on: /hsphere/local/home/mnrat/mnr.com.au//catalog/includes/languages/english/index.php

so really i have 2 main question:

1) how to i set the privellages of each file from the os admnistation tool (if this is possibe)

2) how do i log in as adminstator since this file has its previllages so that the adminstator can change the file anyways.

thanks in advance

Rashed.

never edit the files on a live server unless in an emergency where you dont have them locally. can cause more grief than what it is worth.

permissions in admin are configure.hp file 644 backups 777 images/graphs and below 777

dont know what you are using for controlling admin. i use htaccess

hey tanx for the advice about not editing files on the server.

however i understand the permissioning stucture its just that the only way i can say CHMOD from 644 to 777 is through an ftp server. does oscommerce provide a facility where i can change the mode of a file from the actual admin interface.

also if i set a file as 774 it still wont allow me to edit the file, how do i check and make sure that i am logged in as the admistrator. if im in the admin site then surely this must mean i am logged in as the adminstorator but for somereason its still not allowing me to edit any files.

hey tanx for the advice about not editing files on the server.

however i understand the permissioning stucture its just that the only way i can say CHMOD from 644 to 777 is through an ftp server. does oscommerce provide a facility where i can change the mode of a file from the actual admin interface.

also if i set a file as 774 it still wont allow me to edit the file, how do i check and make sure that i am logged in as the admistrator. if im in the admin site then surely this must mean i am logged in as the adminstorator but for somereason its still not allowing me to edit any files.

There is no way to change permissions from the osC admin.

The osC admin had nothing to do with your files from the standpoint of permissions this would be controlled by your hosting control panel or you can set them with your ftp client.

Again if you are trying to edit your file online from your osC admin using the file manager you are asking for trouble. DO NOT DO IT!!! You will end up with screwed up files and a screwed up site, download the files to your local computer and back them up and edit them there.

The Knowledge Base is a wonderful thing.

Do you have a problem? Have you checked out Common Problems?

There are many very useful osC Contributions

Are you having trouble with a installed contribution? Have you checked out the support thread found Here

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP!!! You did backup, right??

You clearly have a long way to go in understanding users and file permissions and how these relate to the web server (or any other piece of software come to that).

I would suggest you buy yourself a good book on basic unix administration (browse round the O'Reilly ones - they're very good) and another one to teach yourself how your web server works (assuming you're using Apache, which is a reasonable guess, again, get yourself a copy of the O'Reilly Apache book).

Rich.

ps - no, I'm not on O'Reilly's payroll.

Archived