• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Revamp and combined website

nick

We have been revamping our website so that it is more based off a shop than the current static framed website. With that in mind we wanted to keep the layout of the static site but have dynamic products, etc. We busy in the final stages and are hoping to put live later this week, so what better time to get some feedback.

Current "static" Site

Old Shop we were working on

** Shiny New Shop ** to review

Please can you review and let me know what I've missed, what looks good | bad or plain wrong and where I need fixes. I have auto thumbnails installed however the site is based around colour so there a lot of graphics. I have cut these to the bone and "for me" the site is quite quick

Many thanks

Nick

Yes, let me add my praise for the design.

One small thing that could be improved on is that all the menus and boxes etc. at the sides are right jammed up against the side of the screen on some pages so that only one side of the border is visible and there is this massive empty space in the middle of the home page.

This design would probably benefit from being centred on the screen.

http://test.dolphins-angels.com/index.php?cPath=12

This page has a three columns of products. The first column is wide and the other two narrow. Just looks a bit odd. The images on my screen are generally tiny with loads of white space around them.

Again if this can't be solved easily then it would be less obvious if centred on the screen.

The inversion therapy looks great fun! Just like Thai Yoga

http://test.dolphins-angels.com/index.php?cPath=12

This page has a three columns of products. The first column is wide and the other two narrow. Just looks a bit odd. The images on my screen are generally tiny with loads of white space around them.

Again if this can't be solved easily then it would be less obvious if centred on the screen.

David, ok I had added a <br> to the first product as I think the long name was skewing things. This is still not centered the whole store but that is not really the look we were going for. My old shop (link on 1st post) was centered and it just seemed to lose everything.

On a side point for everyone, I have noticed that on larger resolutions, I get a load of white space below the footer on screens with only a little text. Anyone know how I can the screen / a spacer image to scale vertically?

Thanks

Nick

I can see why you prefer a wider design. It gives the site a nice spacious feel.

I still think you should show borders on all 4 sides of the information boxes on your home page. It make me feel a bit uncomfortable, like a dance when all the potential dancers are afraid to move from the edges of the room. :blink:

(as seen in Firefox at various resolutions)

The white space below the footer looks fine

There are a few broken images eg 'Heading Title'

From SEO point of view you should link to your stylesheet in the normal way instead of putting it your page.

Looks really good. The colours make the site.

On your Product Listing page, I would make the max 9, as it looks odd having 3 rows of 3 and then 1 product on its own on the 4th row...or make it 12 whichever, but it would be better to look equal.

I have been looking around to try and find something to criticize, but I think you got me stumped. I like the overall design, it just goes well together and even though there is a lot of white space on some pages, again it just adds to the overall effect.

You spelt cardboard as two separate words on your shipping page..sorry I hate to go without finding something wrong lol

Sorry to be so pernickerty but I like browsing around your site :D :

You ship by first class mail by default but ask customers in the North of Scotland or Northern Island (sic) to request a shipping quote.

Why? The price is the same by Royal Mail throughout the country. Perhaps you should change that to get them to ask for a shipping quote only for courier delivery.

There are a few broken images eg 'Heading Title' 

From SEO point of view you should link to your stylesheet  in the normal way instead of  putting it your page.

The broken image side of things I think this has to do with the auto thumnail scripts - do you have a specific page where you saw this?

For the stylesheets, I have tried moving this to the standard stylesheet but it breaks for some reason ... I will need to play a bit more.

On your Product Listing page, I would make the max 9, as it looks odd having 3 rows of 3 and then 1 product on its own on the 4th row...or make it 12 whichever, but it would be better to look equal.

... snip ...

You spelt cardboard as two separate words on your shipping page..sorry I hate to go without finding something wrong lol

Ok changed that to 12 and added some more breaks to the longer items. Cardboard now amended

... snip...

Why? The price is the same by Royal Mail throughout the country. Perhaps you should change that to get them to ask for a shipping quote only for courier delivery.

After second look I just removed that paragraph as you are right, it's a bit silly

Thanks

Nick

I had some issues when I tried to switch to using the prod domain with ssl so I have moved the the shop under a subdir on the prod domain. I'll add a redirector off the test domain to the new site soon but in the meantime it's here.

I have also fixed the header images issue (helps if you read the auto thumbs readme properly :-). I had my heading image height set to 0

Thanks

Nick

Archived